Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
^^^ That's not a Porsche. It's just a car. Aside from the Porsche crest and the tach, there's nothing there that would distinguish it from any other luxury sedan.
Actually it is a Porsche...designed by Porsche engineers, manufactured at a Porsche factory in Leipzig, sold by Porsche dealerships. It's a Porsche. You may not like it but that is what the car is.

An I surprised that Porsche is diluting it’s sports car heritage by giving it the interior of its luxobarge sedan? Yes, but that wasn’t my point. My point was that said luxobarge sedan doesnt have any real Porsche DNA in it anymore except for the badging. Strip that off and it could easily be the interior of an Audi or a Lexus.
Not true at all (and I am not a Panamera fan BTW) but there is Porsche DNA all over that car. You just have to look.........and not too far.

I really don't care what the interior of the 992 looks like. None of that stuff really matters to me. It's all about how it makes me feel. The way the car accelerates, the way it handles, the way it looks and sounds. Who cares if it has 5 gauges or 3? If it has a 6" screen or 10?

The sound of the Turbo engines is the biggest problem for me and is highly noticeable in my case because I have two Porsches that I routinely drive back to back (one NA and the other Turbo). I hope they fix it somehow in the 992.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

I am going to go way out on an uninformed limb here and state that there will be some sort of surprise at the unveiling - something like that the interior will not have piano black, or that there is something with that rear brakelight that we haven't seen yet...

I would expect that Porsche has included some red herrings on the cars currently in public in order to have some surprises at the unveiling. Surely they have a sense of humour and playfulness and are sitting back, chuckling as they read our forums, waiting to spring some new detail on us.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Actually it is a Porsche...designed by Porsche engineers, manufactured at a Porsche factory in Leipzig, sold by Porsche dealerships. It's a Porsche. You may not like it but that is what the car is.

Not true at all (and I am not a Panamera fan BTW) but there is Porsche DNA all over that car. You just have to look.........and not too far.

I really don't care what the interior of the 992 looks like. None of that stuff really matters to me. It's all about how it makes me feel. The way the car accelerates, the way it handles, the way it looks and sounds. Who cares if it has 5 gauges or 3? If it has a 6" screen or 10?

The sound of the Turbo engines is the biggest problem for me and is highly noticeable in my case because I have two Porsches that I routinely drive back to back (one NA and the other Turbo). I hope they fix it somehow in the 992.
If the 992 can stir emotions better than the 991, I'll take it.

Driving enjoyment is more important to me than faux analog gauges, yet we have no means of knowing how it'll drive, so we debate aesthetics.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
If it grew by 10", would you consider it a pro because it didn't grow 11" or more?

Also do you consider making space for future electrified versions a pro?
No. A 10" increase would put the length of the 992 in the same category of a midsize sedan. I've heard many on this forum complain that the car got "too big" but it only grew an inch. That's pretty impressive engineering to only grow an inch when part of the assignment was to design the 992 and allow for electrification.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Posted in other thread:

Attachment 1294410
Great find! Thank you for sharing. I've been thinking I would get a C2 but I'm not sure I can have the patience to wait until the end of next year

Maybe I'll take a closer look at the C2S (pending final pricing) so I can get the car late Spring/early Summer.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I am going to go way out on an uninformed limb here and state that there will be some sort of surprise at the unveiling - something like that the interior will not have piano black, or that there is something with that rear brakelight that we haven't seen yet...

I would expect that Porsche has included some red herrings on the cars currently in public in order to have some surprises at the unveiling. Surely they have a sense of humour and playfulness and are sitting back, chuckling as they read our forums, waiting to spring some new detail on us.

Thats a real thin limb you’re standing on. Auto manufacturers don’t do red herrings and these days, these “spy shots” are carefully scheduled leaks. Trust me, if they didn’t want these images out there, they wouldn’t be.

Sorry to disappoint you but the production car is going to look near as damnit like these spy shots, final buffing and polishing omitted.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:32 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

After 83,000 miles in the 991.1S, I want to dump it for a 997.2. I'm sure I'd like the faster but even more insulated 992 even less and it's for sure less good looking than either.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
If the 992 nubbin actually ends up looking like the Panamera gear shifter, that would be a big downgrade from the 991 but a huge improvement over the nubbin that has been seen in the mule spy shots.
I don't agree.
I have a 991.2 C2S PDK and our new Cayenne S just arrived (virtually identical interior to the Panemera inc the gear shifter.
I don't mind the new gen gear shifter at all. When driving manual (semi auto), the gear lever just gets used to slotting it into D, after which I use the paddle shifters, why wouldn't you?

As long as we don't get the braun shaver I'm in.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Actually it is a Porsche...designed by Porsche engineers, manufactured at a Porsche factory in Leipzig, sold by Porsche dealerships. It's a Porsche. You may not like it but that is what the car is..
Yes and those folks seem to have forgotten what made a Porsche unique and special, and have decided to revert to the mean and build an Audilexus.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2

I do work for an OEM where I drive camouflaged prototypes on public roads and I can tell you they do not include "red herrings" for people to see for surprises later on. There are many generations of prototypes, from the earliest hand-built versions all the way to the initial builds off of an assembly line. The biggest differences in all of theses versions are typically the interior finishes such as hard shiny plastics instead of textured vinyl and leather surfaces. Buttons and switches typically do not change. And here's an interesting side note: When you see a camouflaged car with all the weird graphics, there are markings hidden within those graphics that are specific to that car to identify it.

Last edited by SeymourButts; 10-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:20 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes and those folks seem to have forgotten what made a Porsche unique and special, and have decided to revert to the mean and build an Audilexus.

Like BMW did a decade ago Porsche realized that the average vehicle consumer purchases their products @ face value. I think we can all agree that the Cayenne and Macan are nothing special at all and fundamentally no different than any other cars in their segment. The Panamera isn't too far off in that respect either.

The Porsche sports cars while still unique, are becoming more mainstream with each iteration. This 992 seems to offer the most in the way of face value gimmicks with little thought to remaining unique.

This whole " Porsche was always an advanced technology company " is such a load of misconstrued bull it's hard to swallow. Up until 20 just years ago they made nothing but raw no nonsense sports cars with air cooled engines for crying out loud. That original car was based on a design that was made as purposefully as simple as possible. The " advanced technology" only existed in the engineering of the sports and race cars themselves and had nothing to do with driver aides, luxury appointments, cheesy flip out door handles and infotainment screens.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
I do work for an OEM where I drive camouflaged prototypes on public roads and I can tell you they do not include "red herrings" for people to see for surprises later on. There are many generations of prototypes, from the earliest hand-built versions all the way to the initial builds off of an assembly line. The biggest differences in all of theses versions are typically the interior finishes such as hard shiny plastics instead of textured vinyl and leather surfaces. Buttons and switches typically do not change. And here's an interesting side note: When you see a camouflaged car with all the weird graphics, there are markings hidden within those graphics that are specific to that car to identify it.

Thanks for the insight! Makes total sense.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...best-new-cars/

Name:  photo590.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  745.6 KBName:  photo217.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  190.9 KB
Old 10-23-2018, 01:46 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

According to Motortrend.com, the 911 model rollout will be in the following order:
1. Carrera S/4S (PDK);
2. Convertible S/4S (PDK);
3. Carrera/4 (7M); and so on.

The first examples of the 2020 Porsche 911 will be in dealerships in the Q2 of 2019.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
Ah well, I stand corrected. Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE