992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited for the 992. Do I love everything about it? No. I almost pulled the trigger to order a 991.2 in August - but decided to wait to see the 992 in-person (I'll be at the LA Auto Show and will post pics).

Pros of the 992 in my opinion:
  • Moar power! And how it's been described about how linear the power delivery is. Hoping this translated to 2-3mph increase in trap speed.
  • Better chassis should lead to better handling and the initial press drives seem to say that's the case.
  • More advanced tech inside compared to the 991.2 (not the best auto tech out there - but I'm into digital gauges and larger display audio screens and HUD)
  • I like the haptic buttons because they remove what I perceive to be as a clutter of buttons on the 991.2 - even though the real buttons are probably more user friendly
  • Wide body on all trims is great since I plan to get a C2 (maybe a C2S)
  • Only grew 1" while allowing for future electrified versions (could have been a lot worse)
Cons of the 992 in my opinion:
  • No longer being able to shift with the PDK nubbin thingy; I'm getting a 7MT so it doesn't directly affect me, but I can see how folks would be bothered by this - it's nice to have the option to shift with the shifter vs. the paddles
  • If the interior materials are a step down (as has been rumored in some of the articles), that's not great (hopeful they are at the same level of the current car)
  • The cyclops 3rd brake light

The in-between of the 992:
  • Styling can be a love it / hate it sort of thing - I love the styling overall, but not a huge fan of the bumpers, but they don't bother me enough to push me away - will save final judgement until I see the car at the LA Auto Show
  • Same for the interior styling, it's love it / hate it - overall I like it, but there are some elements that will take some getting used to (e.g., placement of the vents near the shifter, the "shelf" across the dash) - same comment about holding judgement until the LA Auto Show
Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Just an observation. Could the cyclops 'third' brake-light be a fog light (or double up as one)?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:21 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Senna01
Just an observation. Could the cyclops 'third' brake-light be a fog light (or double up as one)?
That could be a possibility unless there's some sort of weird govt. regulation that wouldn't allow it.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts and opinions. I have spent very little time in a 911 and the last time that I drove one was over 30 years ago, so I will not give an opinion on a car that I really do not know. I did look at a Carrera before I purchased my GTS but decided I wanted the two trunks more than the small back seat. Also it is a smaller car than the 911, more intimate and just “ spoke to me” more than the 911. All cars have grown in size. The 911 compared to the 956, the first Cayman to the current 718 Cayman, the C2 Mid Year Corvette to the current C7 Corvette. Even the first Honda Accord compared to the current model, they all have grown in size. Actually the 718 is almost the exact same size as my previous C2 Mid Year Corvette.

If you had told me two years ago that in the future I would own two Porsche’s and sell my 67 Vette, I would have told you that you were on serious drugs! Coming from from a long history of Chevrolet/Corvette cars I truly find Porsche cars unique. Every Porsche dealer has a display of how the PDK selector is milled. I spent a lot of time looking at the four pieces in the display realizing that Chevy would never spend that much time and money to make that part. I do believe that the majority of Porsche parts and engineering under go the same process. Although I will say that I do not understand the way Porsche thinks on a lot of things.

I do understand that if you are used to shifting with the selector instead of the paddles and lose that ability, it would be a negative. I understand that change can be difficult to accept and sometimes change is not always for the best. I’m still not sure about the new Mid-Engine Corvette coming out even though Chevy has been talking about making one since the mid sixties. I will wait to see and drive one before I make a decision. Also, Chevy bought a Cayman and a 911 to benchmark their upcoming mid-engine Corvette. Maybe they learned how to make a better car from Porsche. Thanks again for your insightful responses, I appreciate them.
As I’ve written here many times, I loved my Cayman and wish I could have it back in addition to my 911. I keep looking for a used one at a price that I can’t refuse. That will need to wait until I make my 911 decision. I started out thinking 80/20 that I’d order another 991, but now really on the fence.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by atombomb33

Pros of the 992 in my opinion:
  • Only grew 1" while allowing for future electrified versions (could have been a lot worse)
If it grew by 10", would you consider it a pro because it didn't grow 11" or more?

Also do you consider making space for future electrified versions a pro?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Posted in other thread:

Name:  photo449.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  420.2 KB
Old 10-22-2018, 05:08 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

So sorry.... but I just saw this pic and thought immediately of the 992. Hope it makes you LOL too.
ps - I love all 911s.... just thought this was funny.

Love the shifter.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

This would be closer...

Old 10-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

^^^ That's not a Porsche. It's just a car. Aside from the Porsche crest and the tach, there's nothing there that would distinguish it from any other luxury sedan.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Aside from the Porsche crest and the tach, there's nothing there that would distinguish it from any other luxury sedan.
Are you seriously surprised that Porsche takes one design and stretches it across the entire lineup*? That's their MO. On a more cynical side, what does your comment say about the 911 demographic?

* with questionable success aka the Panamera
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by haen
Are you seriously surprised that Porsche takes one design and stretches it across the entire lineup*? That's their MO. On a more cynical side, what does your comment say about the 911 demographic?

* with questionable success aka the Panamera
An I surprised that Porsche is diluting it’s sports car heritage by giving it the interior of its luxobarge sedan? Yes, but that wasn’t my point. My point was that said luxobarge sedan doesnt have any real Porsche DNA in it anymore except for the badging. Strip that off and it could easily be the interior of an Audi or a Lexus.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

An I surprised that Porsche is diluting it’s sports car heritage by giving it the interior of its luxobarge sedan? Yes, but that wasn’t my point. My point was that said luxobarge sedan doesnt have any real Porsche DNA in it anymore except for the badging. Strip that off and it could easily be the interior of an Audi or a Lexus.
They stick that badging on a luxury sedan to rake in money.

Remember the illustrious 993 that everyone loves? Well it almost ran Porsche into the ground.

Only hindsight is 20/20. Diluting their brand will hurt them in the long run, but profit now, just like a distance runner turning to anorexia in pursuit of speed, only to fall apart a year later.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Gobbi
Intermediate

to all nubbin haters, just admit you cry over a giant ***** object missing in your muscular hands

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Argon_
They stick that badging on a luxury sedan to rake in money.

Remember the illustrious 993 that everyone loves? Well it almost ran Porsche into the ground.

Only hindsight is 20/20. Diluting their brand will hurt them in the long run, but profit now, just like a distance runner turning to anorexia in pursuit of speed, only to fall apart a year later.
I’m not saying don’t sell a Porsche sedan or SUV, but if you’re gonna do it, imbue it with some Porsche DNA in the interior. I thought Porsche did that pretty well until recently. The new Panamera interior isn’t Porsche and it’s a shame that it’s making its way into the sports cars. But time moves on and I’m quite sure Porsche knows it’s market. But I do believe Porsche is currently in the transition into a lifestyle brand, one with primary focus to the East.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

If the 992 nubbin actually ends up looking like the Panamera gear shifter, that would be a big downgrade from the 991 but a huge improvement over the nubbin that has been seen in the mule spy shots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE