Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, I've been kinda hard on the new one as well. I guess someone should start a 992 train wreck venting thread to voice those opinions. There are alot of guys who have interest in this car who stay silent and just look for updates here. They just aren't the vocal group. I think we should all try and keep it a bit more open minded until we know more and see it in person and get some seat time.

Good to have some discussion and comparisons, but no need to have 10 posts saying essentially the same thing
Well said. Thank you for posting that.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You missed my point. The 964 -> 993 and 996 -> 997 examples I gave are similar in transition from 991 -> 992: Wider, new interior, advertised as 'all new' but really based on the previous generation platform, and comprehensively better cars overall.

Wait until you see the car in person, undisguised, before making claims that they **** the bed...
I'm still missing your point. The 993/997's were better cars than the 964/996's not just because of performance, but because they were way better looking, particularly in the 964>993 transition. What we have going on in the 991>992 transition is more akin to the 993>996 than it is to the 996>997.

This morning commuting in I was in stop and go traffic next to a 718 Cayman S and I can tell you, it looks just as much the awful hot mess as it did in the initial spy pics. Porsche designers appear to be going down a strange path. Almost like they've mashed together the Porsche, Audi, VW, Lamborghini design teams.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yup. Always need to replace ones who drop out and increase market share. Agree.

The "911 poster on the wall" group aren't the target market anymore.
Funny you should say that. I grew up with a Porsche 959 poster over my bed as a kid. I'm 36 now and the 992 will likely be the first non-used porsche that I purchase. So maybe its the 959 poster generation's turn to start buying these babies
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yet the other thing you hear even more often is people go ape over great looking Porsche's. To just wave away the fact that the aesthetics of the 911 are a huge reason why people buy these cars over others is burying your head in the sand. If by 'every respect' you mean performance, I'm sure you're right. If you include design, I'd beg to differ. The car will be awesome and it'll sell to a lot of new buyers and Chinese, but all that still won't make it anything but an ugly car. I'm not sure why you're surprised that Porsche 911 fanatics might not take to this car.
That's why there is a secondary market. Feel free to buy a 993/997/991. Plenty out there.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
That's why there is a secondary market. Feel free to buy a 993/997/991. Plenty out there.
Exactly my thoughts, though I'm much more likely to buy a GT3, new or used, if I ever buy another Porsche sports car.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm still missing your point...

What we have going on in the 991>992 transition is more akin to the 993>996 than it is to the 996>997.
If you are referring to your own opinions of design, perhaps. I am no fan of the 996, either...while I think the 996 GT3 is one of the best 911s ever made, I would never own one because I can't stand looking at them. But as I'm sure you know the 996 shared, what, the hood badge with the 993 and not one other part? The 997 was an evolution of the 996 platform, just as the 992 is an evolution of the 991 platform (and the 993 an evolution of the 964).
Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Any 992 BASHING can take place in the new thread

Let's keep things warm and fuzzy here. Only new updates, pics, and praise allowed here.

The ultimate fighting and cracking skulls can happen there.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Any 992 BASHING can take place in the new thread

Let's keep things warm and fuzzy here. Only new updates, pics, and praise allowed here.

The ultimate fighting and cracking skulls can happen there.
I think it's OK, and healthy for all of us, to have some debate in this thread . That's the beauty of car forums. It's great that you started this thread and have kept updating the first page with all new pics and updates. Thank you. You've sort of become the defacto moderator for this thread

What was weighing on a good number of people who visit this thread is the constant posts over and over again from a select group of forum members that say the same (or similar) thing each time, just worded differently. It clogs up the thread...making it harder for everyone to find relevant info. The entire forum knows where they stand, no need for them to tell us for the 100th time
Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In the meantime I am more than excited that it looks like the 992 GT3 will remain NA.
I cannot wait to see what it will look, sound & perform like
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Funny you should say that. I grew up with a Porsche 959 poster over my bed as a kid. I'm 36 now and the 992 will likely be the first non-used porsche that I purchase. So maybe its the 959 poster generation's turn to start buying these babies
Please don't include me in that one.... I'm a little younger than you and the 991.1 is likely to be the last 911 generation I ever purchase.

I'll admit though that I was never that much of a 959 fan... I thought it was needlessly over complicated.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

This morning commuting in I was in stop and go traffic next to a 718 Cayman S and I can tell you, it looks just as much the awful hot mess as it did in the initial spy pics. Porsche designers appear to be going down a strange path. Almost like they've mashed together the Porsche, Audi, VW, Lamborghini design teams.
Interesting, full disclosure I’m not a Porsche Officianado like the majority you on this forum. I do not have years of experience driving the same cars you have been driving for years. No, my experience goes back with Corvettes which I have owned since the mid 70’s. My Porsche experience started when I bought my wife her 718 Boxster in January of 2017. I read all the forums and the opinions of how the the 718 was a horrible car compared to their beloved six cylinder 981. Even though the 718 was better in every comparison except the sound.

After driving her Boxster for a year I sold my cherished1967 Corvette Coupe that I owned for 18 years and bought a 718 Cayman GTS. I will miss that car but I’m not looking back. I truly enjoy the GTS. every time I drive her. In reading this segment of the forum, it is interesting to read the same 981 vs 982 comments 991 and previous year owners have for the 992 model. Maybe because I’m still an outsider compared to long time Porsche owners, plus not having ever owned a 911, makes my words quickly dismissed. However, it is still strange to me how the 992 is being ripped by other Porsche owners on a car that has not even been debuted yet. It is also strange to me how the 718 is also quickly dismissed, as stated above, by 911 owners even though it is regarded by many magazines and videos as one of the best handling cars in the world. My GTS makes me feel happy every time I fire her up. Isn’t that what a premium sports car is supposed to do? I’m pretty sure the 992 will be a Porsche in every way.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-19-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi

Interesting, full disclosure I’m not a Porsche Officianado like the majority you on this forum. I do not have years of experience driving the same cars you have been driving for years. No, my experience goes back with Corvettes which I have owned since the mid 70’s. My Porsche experience started when I bought my wife her 718 Boxster in January of 2017. I read all the forums and the opinions of how the the 718 was a horrible car compared to their beloved six cylinder 981. Even though the 718 was better in every comparison except the sound.

After driving her Boxster for a year I sold my beloved 1967 Corvette Coupe that I owned for 18 years and bought a 718 Cayman GTS and I’m not looking back. I truly enjoy this car every time I drive her. In reading this segment of the forum, it is interesting to read the same comments 991 and previous year owners have for the 992 model. Maybe because I’m still an outsider compared to long time Porsche owners, plus not having ever owned a 911, makes my words quickly dismissed. However, it is still strange to me how the 992 is being ripped by other Porsche owners on a car that has not even been debuted yet. It is also strange to me how the 718 is also quickly dismissed, as stated above, by 911 owners even though it is regarded by many magazines and videos as one of the best handling cars in the world. My GTS makes me feel happy every time I fire her up. Isn’t that what a premium sports car is supposed to do? I’m pretty sure the 992 will be a Porsche in every way.

I think some of the complaints are valid- although I just ordered my 1st 991.2 911- there are things that I see that I don't want in the 992.
1. cheap plastic haptic buttons like the panamera, you can no longer feel the buttons without having to take your eyes off the road.
2. unusable gear shifter **** that no longer allows you to shift manually in pdk without the paddles (I drive in manual mode 99% of the time on my dct)
3.ever larger versions of the 911, creating a less sports car feel more mini panamera feel.

feels like all car brands are a lot more focused on computers and electronics these days and less focused on keeping the simple connection between driver and car, while some things like RAS, PTV, PASM, etc have increased the limits of the cars- I think some enthusiasts genuinely feel like cars are becoming more and more like appliances rather than an experience.

The cars are dumbed down, computers adjust automatically to reduce "undesired" responses and artificially create "feel" to make you instantly a better driver, without the rewarding sensation that goes along with learning and driving well. Seems like with the 992's even more than the 991's the only driver's cars that remain will be GT series 911's, while the base, s, etc are slowly becoming bloated to satisfy safety, emissions, and tech needs.

Last edited by dkhm3; 10-19-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

After driving her Boxster for a year I sold my beloved 1967 Corvette Coupe that I owned for 18 years and bought a 718 Cayman GTS and I’m not looking back. I truly enjoy this car every time I drive her. In reading this segment of the forum, it is interesting to read the same comments 991 and previous year owners have for the 992 model. Maybe because I’m still an outsider compared to long time Porsche owners, plus not having ever owned a 911, makes my words quickly dismissed. However, it is still strange to me how the 992 is being ripped by other Porsche owners on a car that has not even been debuted yet. It is also strange to me how the 718 is also quickly dismissed, as stated above, by 911 owners even though it is regarded by many magazines and videos as one of the best handling cars in the world. My GTS makes me feel happy every time I fire her up. Isn’t that what a premium sports car is supposed to do? I’m pretty sure the 992 will be a Porsche in every way.

Its normal, every time there's a new series or a new model the same arguments rage. The reality is, like for like, the newer models outperform the outgoing models by a small amount or in the case of the transition from air cooled to water cooled and NA to turbocharged by large amounts. This is generally beyond dispute largely due to modern testing methods and the fact every journo has a VBOX.

You will find threads dissemble into the subjective stuff e.g. shape, interior, stance, infotainment or the purist stance - must be manual, NA and make loads of noise to have "character" and on it goes. Disclosure: I'm not a purist, I spend plenty of time driving various cars in different types of competition and have cars covered in colour matched gaffer tape to prevent stone damage during longer road events (so about as far removed from the EVO defined purist as possible).

Congratulations on the 718 GTS, I have no doubt its a fantastic car - I had the pleasure of track time in the 718 S when it was first released a couple of years ago. Great drivers car. Generally the malice comes from those that don't own them and largely don't understand what can be achieved with a modern flat four. You have picked what "spoke" to you and "moved" you and you picked well. Also, don't buy into the Cayman - 911 debate, the Cayman is better at somethings than the 911 and vice versa - hence I own both
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Well said!!!

Many, many years ago I had an English teacher that described the study of Shakespeare as "Grasping what grips you".

I think the same is true of cars.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts and opinions. I have spent very little time in a 911 and the last time that I drove one was over 30 years ago, so I will not give an opinion on a car that I really do not know. I did look at a Carrera before I purchased my GTS but decided I wanted the two trunks more than the small back seat. Also it is a smaller car than the 911, more intimate and just “ spoke to me” more than the 911. All cars have grown in size. The 911 compared to the 956, the first Cayman to the current 718 Cayman, the C2 Mid Year Corvette to the current C7 Corvette. Even the first Honda Accord compared to the current model, they all have grown in size. Actually the 718 is almost the exact same size as my previous C2 Mid Year Corvette.

If you had told me two years ago that in the future I would own two Porsche’s and sell my 67 Vette, I would have told you that you were on serious drugs! Coming from from a long history of Chevrolet/Corvette cars I truly find Porsche cars unique. Every Porsche dealer has a display of how the PDK selector is milled. I spent a lot of time looking at the four pieces in the display realizing that Chevy would never spend that much time and money to make that part. I do believe that the majority of Porsche parts and engineering under go the same process. Although I will say that I do not understand the way Porsche thinks on a lot of things.

I do understand that if you are used to shifting with the selector instead of the paddles and lose that ability, it would be a negative. I understand that change can be difficult to accept and sometimes change is not always for the best. I’m still not sure about the new Mid-Engine Corvette coming out even though Chevy has been talking about making one since the mid sixties. I will wait to see and drive one before I make a decision. Also, Chevy bought a Cayman and a 911 to benchmark their upcoming mid-engine Corvette. Maybe they learned how to make a better car from Porsche. Thanks again for your insightful responses, I appreciate them.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE