992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

One more recolored version in carmin red...

Old 10-17-2018, 06:20 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Have you sat in it? Driven it?
Originally Posted by atombomb33
If you dislike the car so much, why keep coming back to this forum to check out a car you hate? Nothing is going to change your mind about the car, that much is clear. To counter your point about "hatred of the new redesign" not being true - to the contrary, others have posted threads for other redesigns and it's all the same stuff. It's a group of current gen owners constantly in a thread talking about how much they "hate" the new car (of which they've never sat in, haven't seen in-person and haven't driven).

I think you guys are missing the point. Owning these cars and being a part of the industry for the last 20 years is all that's needed for myself to draw very plausible conclusions about what is to come. I am not alone in the frustration of what I feel is a crumbling industry with enthusiast cars on the extinction list.

If you feel the opposite of the way we do then please enlighten us with how you feel this 992 is better and why. It's a discussion forum , this is a safe place for Porsche enthusiasts to vent and discuss like buddies sitting around a table drinking a few beers.

I believe in being the change you want to see in the world and complaining, venting, discussing is all part of the process of opposing something perhaps in hopes that enough people will listen , agree and maybe make some changes for the better.

Porsche is building these cars for us the consumer we are the ones spending the hard earned money on them and if we aren't happy with what they are doing we have every right to voice those concerns no matter how much of the minority or majority we represent.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
I think you guys are missing the point. Owning these cars and being a part of the industry for the last 20 years is all that's needed for myself to draw very plausible conclusions about what is to come. I am not alone in the frustration of what I feel is a crumbling industry with enthusiast cars on the extinction list.

If you feel the opposite of the way we do then please enlighten us with how you feel this 992 is better and why. It's a discussion forum , this is a safe place for Porsche enthusiasts to vent and discuss like buddies sitting around a table drinking a few beers.

I believe in being the change you want to see in the world and complaining, venting, discussing is all part of the process of opposing something perhaps in hopes that enough people will listen , agree and maybe make some changes for the better.

Porsche is building these cars for us the consumer we are the ones spending the hard earned money on them and if we aren't happy with what they are doing we have every right to voice those concerns no matter how much of the minority or majority we represent.
I'll bite.

If you have been on Porsche car forums long enough, here is what you will hear: We want a faster car, we want it to handle better, we want the tech/electronics to be up to date, we want a cup holder that works and another 1000 things of wants. Porsche delivers. Any time a new model comes out, the criticisms soon follow.......YAWN.

However, also recognize that Porsche has other stake holders other than consumers. The government wants more efficient cars and less emissions from the engines of those cars. The shareholders also want more profits from their investments. Porsche delivers.

The bottom line...... The 992 will be better in every respect. We can argue about the sound or the visual appeal (all subjective) but it is going to be a winner despite the constant whining....and every previous model owner will secretly want the 992. Just because we loved the previous models does not mean that we hate the incoming models. Just saying.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:54 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

The thing is, there is not much you guys can do about the design anymore. This is it and it will most likely stay more or less the same for about eight years. So venting your anger and frustration about certain design changes is certainly your good right in this forum. I just think the quicker one accepts that Porsche is heading into a “less-enthusiastic” direction (and LONG has been), the less wrinkles you’ll end up on your forehead! ;-)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
The bottom line...... The 992 will be better in every respect.
Do you think 996 is better than 993 in every aspect?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Easiest thing one can do, vote with your $$.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'll bite.

....and every previous model owner will secretly want the 992. Just saying.

This is as big of a generalization as is "the 992 totally sucks". No, not everyone will want it. Others may move onto other brands or discover GT cars or older 911 models.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,169 Likes on 591 Posts

Performance will continue to get better and better. Tough to argue too much against that from an "enthusiast" perspective. I love all the new tech. By all means, if it makes the car better bring it on. Automotive is one of the few industries where the most passionate of fans cling to the nostalgia of older and lesser tech. Do you see anybody longing for the good old days of ipods with disk drives? How about CRT monitors at your desk? Do you wish you still had to talk to a bank teller to withdraw cash from an account? Do you get excited when you get to fly on an older plane from the Delta or American fleet? Auto really stands on its own in this right.

Does it require a bit of a change in thinking? sure. Maybe your future dream car won't make the same throaty noises of your past dream car but hopefully the enjoyment level can still increase. Over time things like hybrid tech will be better and better implemented to the point that cars without it feel archaic. The 991 design was a home run for sure... and I think it will age very well. That said, the 992 will doubtless cause the 991 to show its age a little bit, its the virtuous cycle of car design. Its funny because I haven't been a big fan of the new panamera... just seemed a bit bland to me. Yesterday I saw one that knocked my socks off. I couldn't believe how amazing I thought it looked. I know this is heresy but it made me even more excited for the 992.

I'm sure the 992 will ruffle some purist feathers but I'm also sure that its not going to be a disaster that ruins everything that people have loved about past generations.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Do you think 996 is better than 993 in every aspect?
This isn't that. 991 -> 992 will be very much like 964 -> 993 and 996 -> 997. Some will cling to the previous generation, but the newer car is better and the majority will welcome the newer design.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Performance will continue to get better and better. Tough to argue too much against that from an "enthusiast" perspective. I love all the new tech. By all means, if it makes the car better bring it on. Automotive is one of the few industries where the most passionate of fans cling to the nostalgia of older and lesser tech. Do you see anybody longing for the good old days of ipods with disk drives? How about CRT monitors at your desk? Do you wish you still had to talk to a bank teller to withdraw cash from an account? Do you get excited when you get to fly on an older plane from the Delta or American fleet? Auto really stands on its own in this right.
I totally get where you coming from with the tech argument except for one major difference. I Pod's , disk drives, tv's , even commercial airplanes are one dimensional experiences where the end user is judging the product the only way it can , based on how it performs. Owning and driving a vehicle is a complete multi dimensional experience that engages all senses at once and it's that interaction that enthusiasts do not want to see traded for a bit of performance that is not able to be realized by the end user on a regular basis. Does the latest TV excite you to look at when it isn't switched ON? What sensations are you feeling when scrolling through your I phone other than a craned neck , strained eyes and finger muscles?

Cars , particularly enthusiasts vehicles, are so much more than the latest tech because let's face it , most of this tech is one dimensional where we are looking for so much more. A big nav screen isn't going to make the car sound better any more than the haptic touchscreen will make the shifter feel more precise.

Porsche has served as a home for enthusiasts since the beginning and now it appears to be turning it's back on them more and more with each successive model and replacing them with people who value to sum of it's flashy gimmicky , short lived tech parts over the car experience of the car as a whole. This company held onto air cooled engines until just 20 years ago so I just can't buy the line that " Porsche is a technology company not a car company" .
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If I was a prospective buyer contemplating a new 991.2 or 992, just from a resale perspective I'd go pre-owned 991.2 or wait for 992.

No way I'd buy a new 991.2 now unless you really need the car now. You never want to buy right before a new generation change. Buy yourself 7 years and get in at the beginning of a new generation.

Pre-owned is a different story and many times you're getting a great deal.

My take on it!!
You aer of course, correct. But cars are an emotional purchase mixed with a dose of reality. For me that means:
- I don't want to pay the 15% bump in price,
- I want a car configured exactly how I like it,
- I prefer the smaller engine and don't want to wait until end of next year (best case) to get it.
- I plan to keep this car for a while - so not as worried about resale. Although I say that every time I buy, and mostly keep them for about 18 months... But this time will be different!

Yes, I realize I am making somewhat contradictory arguments - on the one hand not wanting to spend extra money buying the new version, but willing to waste money by buying new vs used just to get it how I like it. But hey, you only live once. And I really like the elegance of the 991. If the 992 was available right now, as a C2 or C4, and at the same price - that would be a much harder decision. Bottom lijne, I think the 992 will be awesome. The 991 is also awesome.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I'll bite.

If you have been on Porsche car forums long enough, here is what you will hear: We want a faster car, we want it to handle better, we want the tech/electronics to be up to date, we want a cup holder that works and another 1000 things of wants. Porsche delivers. Any time a new model comes out, the criticisms soon follow.......YAWN.

However, also recognize that Porsche has other stake holders other than consumers. The government wants more efficient cars and less emissions from the engines of those cars. The shareholders also want more profits from their investments. Porsche delivers.

The bottom line...... The 992 will be better in every respect. We can argue about the sound or the visual appeal (all subjective) but it is going to be a winner despite the constant whining....and every previous model owner will secretly want the 992. Just because we loved the previous models does not mean that we hate the incoming models. Just saying.
Subshooter - I respectfully disagree. No way, no how I am going go get or lust for a 992 over my 991.1 GTS cab or my 991.2 GT3T. The nubbin alone is a deal breaker for me. Oh, and the turbo charged engine, and the recessed door handles, and the, oh well, point being, not everyone who has the 991 is going to lust for the "latest and greatest." Will it objectively be a demonstrably faster car? Sure. Will it be a "better" car? That is very subjective.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The 991.1 is one of the best, cleanest looking 911 designs Porsche has ever produced. The devil's in the details and the 991.1 got them all right. The 992 has them all kinds of wrong.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
This isn't that. 991 -> 992 will be very much like 964 -> 993 and 996 -> 997. Some will cling to the previous generation, but the newer car is better and the majority will welcome the newer design.
You're conveniently skipping the crappy 911 generations. I notice no >964 or >996 in your example. If someone offered you a pristine low mileage 993 or a pristine low mileage 996, you'd honestly take the 996?

Porsche s$!ts the bed with the 911 design once in a while. This appears to be one of those times and making believe that the new design is always better than the last, just because new, is ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'll bite.

Yet the other thing you hear even more often is people go ape over great looking Porsche's. To just wave away the fact that the aesthetics of the 911 are a huge reason why people buy these cars over others is burying your head in the sand. If by 'every respect' you mean performance, I'm sure you're right. If you include design, I'd beg to differ. The car will be awesome and it'll sell to a lot of new buyers and Chinese, but all that still won't make it anything but an ugly car. I'm not sure why you're surprised that Porsche 911 fanatics might not take to this car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE