992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Some enterprising person will develop and do a steady trade in "rear light bar delete" kits. For the "genuine 911 narrow body look" don't you know....
Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I have to say, I have never seen a bunch of men whine so much and so loudly anywhere. Ever. And I was in the Navy... even out on a 7 1/2 month cruise there was less whining about stuff. And that whining, at least, was about stuff that mattered.

All these cupholder whines, tailpipe, VW took over, etc etc etc. You guys would fit in with all these articles popping up about bridezillas.

Holy crap.
I see irony isn't your strong suit.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

If the 992 GT3 is still NA, which it looks like it from spy shots, it will be a wicked car. It will have a different front and rear bumper than the Carrera line and a nice wing. Has real exhaust tips too! One model that really excites me.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If the 992 GT3 is still NA, which it looks like it from spy shots, it will be a wicked car. It will have a different front and rear bumper than the Carrera line and a nice wing. Has real exhaust tips too! One model that really excites me.
I'm a die hard 911 and Porsche lover, but I doubt it'll be a "wicked car" in comparison to its predecessor.

It'll be 12% better than the 991.2 GT3. That's how it always has been from one generation to the next.

Such is the order of things.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I guess nobody is allowed to have an opinion unless it's stroking the Porsche crest.

Not sure I'd wanna be on a 7.5 month cruise with a bunch of dudes, but I think we have a very active group on RL here who have a lot of passion and knowledge about their hobby. Take away some of the few useless posts, there are some real valuable comments and critiques here.

I've seen product or automobile releases where you have great excitement and enthusiasm to buy. I think it's pretty telling here the comments that have been made so far.

There's no doubt that Porsche is growing and has aggressive future plans. Obviously product strategy, placement, marketing, and design will also reflect those plans. How well they balance that, will be interesting to watch.
Of course we're all allowed to have opinions and not favorable ones to Porsche, either. It's how they're stated that makes a difference between whining and sharing opinions. And yes, there is definitely some great information in this thread... but you have to wade through a lot of other posts to pluck the pearls. There are, indeed, some very passionate and wise and smart people here; someday, I hope to be one, too.

It will be very interesting to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the hybrid 911 - or all electric - comes out!

As for the cruise, it wasn't my idea and yes, it was back before women were onboard ships. But, we did get to fly in combat, so we were actually doing our mission, which helped the only 33 days in port on that adventure!

Some of the other responses to my observation are telling....
Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

is the fact that the car is ever so slightly bigger bother anyone?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:28 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to say, I have never seen a bunch of men whine so much and so loudly anywhere. Ever. And I was in the Navy... even out on a 7 1/2 month cruise there was less whining about stuff. And that whining, at least, was about stuff that mattered.

All these cupholder whines, tailpipe, VW took over, etc etc etc. You guys would fit in with all these articles popping up about bridezillas.

Holy crap.
I couldn’t agree more! But it‘s always the same with every 911 release. I once read through the 991 spy pictures thread and ppl whined so badly about the “ugly Toyota back”...”frog eye front”...bla bla bla. Until they see the official release, sat in one and drove it. These discussions about pre-production quality and design based on spy pictures are totally pointless but ppl still want to whine.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:36 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

I couldn’t agree more! But it‘s always the same with every 911 release. I once read through the 991 spy pictures thread and ppl whined so badly about the “ugly Toyota back”...”frog eye front”...bla bla bla. Until they see the official release, sat in one and drove it. These discussions about pre-production quality and design based on spy pictures are totally pointless but ppl still want to whine.
yes, but Porsche isn’t infallible either. They thought the 996 design was a good idea, and it was hated by a lot of people and now that carrera generation is still worth far less than any other.

If the 992 truly looks like what we’ve seen in the pics so far, particularly the interior, then 25 years from now a 991.2 carrera will be worth more than a 992.1.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:33 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the interior is just awful. i mean really unbearable
Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 308 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Clearly the inch added to the front cap is a sign that Porsche has lost its way seeking proportion to add a stretched executive hatchback shooting brake variant. Let the aesthetics debate begin!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Need to start making room for the battery pack. And Americans are getting fatter by the day.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 AM
lecoultre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
You must be out of your mind to buy a 991 now. You are focusing on superficial things and missing what matters:
- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality
- Better steering and turn in experience
- Better turbo system with less lag

Yet all you care about is the shape and the interior finishes. Maybe you should drive a Bentley.

Holy crap.
thank god you guys don't design cars. talk about insufferable - irony indeed.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I actually hope it goes turbo. Might get rid of some of the fan-boy/flippers/martins. Then I'll have a better chance of getting one in 18-24 months.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I actually hope it goes turbo. Might get rid of some of the fan-boy/flippers/martins. Then I'll have a better chance of getting one in 18-24 months.
And I hope it goes mid-engine like the 911 RSR. I offer no predictions on the collector/flipper aspect and the collective whining would be truly epic.

For those not in the know:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...rank-walliser/
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
the interior is just awful. i mean really unbearable
I get your point. You didn’t like the pre-production interior what you saw in the spy pictures...but seriously, wouldn’t you say that before judging the interior quality of the new 992, it makes sense waiting for the official release and having felt the interior quality with your own hands?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE