Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 09-29-2018, 08:57 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by viseman
The design seems confused and unsure of itself.
I would say that also describes Porsche as a brand right now as they too seem confused unsure of themselves.

Originally Posted by arek

Imho they’re fine. Probably more aerodynamic.

They pop out when you unlock the car:
https://youtu.be/70V3KBt5heA
More needless , cheesy “ oh gee whiz “ add on’s. In reality it’s just one more thing to break.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

I would say that also describes Porsche as a brand right now as they too seem confused unsure of themselves.

Feels just the opposite to me. Porsche is on fire - they understand their global customer demographic and are moving to a new design language that is consistent and will sell a ton of cars and SUVs. Even though I wish they would leave design separation between the 911 and the Panamera, the reality is they creating a new, modern style for their whole line of vehicles. I also think they are out ahead of most auto makers in terms of electrification and will release some highly competent and attractive vehicles in this segment.

I think the future looks amazingly bright for Porsche.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by arek

Imho they’re fine. Probably more aerodynamic.

They pop out when you unlock the car:
https://youtu.be/70V3KBt5heA

Great. More needlessly complex crap to break.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,135 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Great. More needlessly complex crap to break.
....and weight
Old 09-29-2018, 08:33 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Feels just the opposite to me. Porsche is on fire - they understand their global customer demographic and are moving to a new design language that is consistent and will sell a ton of cars and SUVs. Even though I wish they would leave design separation between the 911 and the Panamera, the reality is they creating a new, modern style for their whole line of vehicles. I also think they are out ahead of most auto makers in terms of electrification and will release some highly competent and attractive vehicles in this segment.

I think the future looks amazingly bright for Porsche.
If outright vehicle sales volume is how you measure success then absolutely, they are on fire.

However,

If your like me and extremely saddened to witness a storied pure sports car manufacture sell out to mainstream nonsense then what you might see instead is a very confused company that has lost its focus and prioritizes cross overs and SUV’s over that of the sports cars that made them relevant and successful in the first place.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:41 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

If your like me and extremely saddened to witness a storied pure sports car manufacture sell out to mainstream nonsense then what you might see instead is a very confused company that has lost its focus and prioritizes cross overs and SUV’s over that of the sports cars that made them relevant and successful in the first place.
There will always be hardcore enthusiasts who dislike the course of many emotional brands. Let’s not forget, if Porsche didn’t start building more mainstream cars (cash cows), they’d most probably be bankrupt by now. As we say in German “one has to die one death”.
”.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:23 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Porsche have a problem maintaining that Porsche mystique over all these years. How do you design a car that retains the original 911 shape for the last 50 years with new designs every year. I'm afraid it is running out of ideas and inspiration. It is getting to a point where Porsches are paranoid to deviate from its original 911 shape. Not like Ferraris or Lambos where every model start on a clean sheet of canvas with its unique bold, sexy, sassy, curves and shape that is refreshingly pleasant visually, while Porsche is stuck with its own success. We can't really blame Porsche for trying, and the current 992 is the result. How else can you be creative and refreshingly new after over 50 years of the same classic shape. Just how can you deviate from it and give us a new refreshing look ?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Porsche have a problem maintaining that Porsche mystique over all these years. How do you design a car that retains the original 911 shape for the last 50 years with new designs every year. I'm afraid it is running out of ideas and inspiration. It is getting to a point where Porsches are paranoid to deviate from its original 911 shape. Not like Ferraris or Lambos where every model start on a clean sheet of canvas with its unique bold, sexy, sassy, curves and shape that is refreshingly pleasant visually, while Porsche is stuck with its own success. We can't really blame Porsche for trying, and the current 992 is the result. How else can you be creative and refreshingly new after over 50 years of the same classic shape. Just how can you deviate from it and give us a new refreshing look ?
Well said. I do struggle with too much crossover from their other models, mainly with interiors. I know it saves costs. It's expensive to create new interiors that are unique just the 911. Though years ago when I got my 2013 Boxster I'll admit I liked it was pretty much like my buddies 2013 911. I would like a different experience when I go from a Panamera to a 911 though .
Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder with the new 992 being e hybrid ready- will the non hybrid models be more heavy due to the reinforced chassis of the entire model line? I think the 991.2's gained weight from the 991.1 due to new turbo engines themselves. Any more weight from the 3300 lbs of the current 991.2's would not be welcome for a sports car.

Comparing the current hybrid nsx at almost 3,900 lbs- I hope Porsche doesn't make the 911 pigs.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:21 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

"On the fence... still HATE the console, no handbrake, and electrical steering, and all the other GT/Panamera stuff added to 991. As of today, my next P-car would be a GT3 with rear seats added! As for 991, I have to drive one, see it on track and maybe get over the GT interior to maybe jump from 997 to 991."

That's a quote from a Rennlister from November 2011. Sound familiar? The more things change, the more they remain the same.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,711 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If outright vehicle sales volume is how you measure success then absolutely, they are on fire.

LOL. How else would one define success for a publicly traded company?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
... It is getting to a point where Porsches are paranoid to deviate from its original 911 shape...
Getting to a point?
Getting?

You must be younger than the 911 by about 50%. If not you would remember the one time they attempted to be bold and re-invent themselves. It almost killed them because management became fractious.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
LOL. How else would one define success for a publicly traded company?
Marginal Profitability times Sales Volume. Not just sales unless, you, like some, believe that if you’re losing money on each sale, you can make it up in volume...
Old 09-30-2018, 06:53 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Marginal profitability? I thought it was just reported that Porsche came in second place (behind Ferrari) in terms of profit per car sold.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369
Marginal profitability? I thought it was just reported that Porsche came in second place (behind Ferrari) in terms of profit per car sold.
Correct with what I saw reported in several outlets. In 2017, Ferrari (90k/car) and Porsche (17K/car) had the highest profit per car in the industry.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369
Originally Posted by Ccpecot
Correct with what I saw reported in several outlets. In 2017, Ferrari (90k/car) and Porsche (17K/car) had the highest profit per car in the industry.
Correct. The term "marginal" in this context is the profit on the last unit. I should have written "average marginal profit" which would be the same as average profit per car. It is better in this context to use average profit-per-car and not (just) marginal profit. If the former is less than zero you're probably loosing money. But, if the latter is above zero then you may be able to make it up with more volume (next year) even if the former is negative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE