Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

That hood line is intentional design just for the aesthetic, I'm sure. They could have matched it with the fender if they wanted to, so this is just for the weird look of it. I suspect it gets changed for the 992.2, but you never know. There are so many other so-so design choices, this seems about right. Also, none of this will adversely affect sales as much as the deterioration of the dealer network ethics.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

To be fair, if they had matched the hood line, it would have created an awkward situation where a (necessarily) rounded corner has to mate visually with a hard break between two adjacent surfaces.

I can see two ways to fix this problem -- one is to get rid of one of the gaps entirely by merging the bumper cover and fenders into a single piece, which isn't going to happen, and the other is to keep the corner of the hood well away from the gap, far enough away that it doesn't look like a mistake. They blew it on that account, certainly, but this is probably the best they could do without going with a much shorter frunk lid.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
To be fair, if they had matched the hood line, it would have created an awkward situation where a (necessarily) rounded corner has to mate visually with a hard break between two adjacent surfaces.

I can see two ways to fix this problem -- one is to get rid of one of the gaps entirely by merging the bumper cover and fenders into a single piece, which isn't going to happen, and the other is to keep the corner of the hood well away from the gap, far enough away that it doesn't look like a mistake. They blew it on that account, certainly, but this is probably the best they could do without going with a much shorter frunk lid.
I get the point. The fender to bumper seam is very thin while hood to bumper seam will be inevitably thicker. Or, they can make it look like 996
PS - Hate to say it... but 996.2 is really ugly. I'd rather take 996.1

Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
They could've aligned hood seam with fender to bumper seam. Wtf with that half an inch protrusion.
Two different sized gaps. Would look odd aligned because would never be aligned.

They should just not have made the seam so close. See the 991 for reference.

Probably done for cost savings on the bumper
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Two different sized gaps. Would look odd aligned because would never be aligned.

They should just not have made the seam so close. See the 991 for reference.

Probably done for cost savings on the bumper
What hasn't been done for cost savings on this car? The exterior / interior design departments basically work on a 3 for 1 special now where they design 1 exterior and 1 interior and then resize and apply it to 3 different models.

Last edited by limegreen; 09-24-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
What hasn't been done for cost savings on this car? The exterior / interior design departments basically work on a 3 for 1 special now where they design 1 exterior and 1 interior and then resize and apply it to 3 different models.
There really aren't cost savings for making things look the same. For while they look the same, they are still discrete parts.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:59 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Where in LA did you see them? I live in the South Bay area and work in Santa Monica. Will keep my eyes open and camera ready if they are around.
I saw a 992 convoy in the Marina twice over the past week, and this morning I saw one black camo'd in Santa Monica on Ocean Ave while walking the dog

Originally Posted by DY369
@sampelligrino

Are you saying the 992 looked good? I'm confused because you then say you want to pick up a 991.2.........
I own not one but two 991.2s already? And yes the 992 *in person* looks great exterior wise from what I can see so far in my opinion, I am eating crow. Looks a bit wider with presence, maybe an illusion because they are black. There are still some bits that are taped up, so I am still waiting for the release for final judgment which should be relatively imminent considering how many 992s are popping up on the roads. I don't know about the interior and shifter for a PDK car as well yet. I actually want a 992.1 C4 to replace my 991.2 C4 and accompany my GT3 but just not to keen on giving Porsche my money which is a very separate topic. Most importantly besides looks is how will the car feel and drive, has to have that quintessential 911 feel especially through corners and not just be a 2 door Panamera

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I just saw the 992 in person.

Pictures don't really do it justice. It has a certain presence in person that pictures cannot capture.

Bravo Porsche.
Completely agree after seeing them a handful of times over the past couple weeks in person. Wish I could say otherwise as I don't want to buy another 911, but they might have forced my hand with how good the car looks from what we can see so far
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I saw a 992 convoy in the Marina twice over the past week, and this morning I saw one black camo'd in Santa Monica on Ocean Ave while walking the dog

I own not one but two 991.2s already? And yes the 992 *in person* looks great exterior wise from what I can see so far in my opinion, I am eating crow. Looks a bit wider with presence, maybe an illusion because they are black. There are still some bits that are taped up, so I am still waiting for the release for final judgment which should be relatively imminent considering how many 992s are popping up on the roads. I don't know about the interior and shifter for a PDK car as well yet. I actually want a 992.1 C4 to replace my 991.2 C4 and accompany my GT3 but just not to keen on giving Porsche my money which is a very separate topic. Most importantly besides looks is how will the car feel and drive, has to have that quintessential 911 feel especially through corners and not just be a 2 door Panamera

Completely agree after seeing them a handful of times over the past couple weeks in person. Wish I could say otherwise as I don't want to buy another 911, but they might have forced my hand with how good the car looks from what we can see so far

Oh man. I am so sorry you wrote that. I was hoping that it was worse in person than the pictures. That would make the decision tree so much easier. I am all set for a November 991.2 build, hopefully I'll get to see one before then.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

anyone have any idea what the price jump would be from a 991.2 to a 992 base/s?

I read somewhere 10k, but is that typical?

I wonder if 991.1 vs 991.2 jump in performance is similar- 991.2 base acceleration specs are similar to the 991.1 GTS ( I know turbos vs NA) I wonder what the 992 base will jump to 991.2 S acceleration specs?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
They could've aligned hood seam with fender to bumper seam. Wtf with that half an inch protrusion.
On a 993 (which is what it resembles) the step is much greater.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Also , good luck getting PPF to wrap cleanly around those square hood corners.

Let’s talk about the side view mirrors .... Does anyone else think they are at least a full step backwards?

I think that the mirrors on the 993 and 991 represent their best and I don’t know why they would revert to something less just like they did with the cheap looking 996 door handles.

The way things are going in this industry I wouldn’t be surpised to see the 992.2 do away with mirrors all togeather and replace them with side view cameras. So perhaps it will be a non issue by then...
Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 AM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange thing is that with both the new Panamera and the 718 they kept the rounded hood corners. Also both these new designs have the "standard" door handles.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Would it have killed them to at least line up the hood with the fender / bumper seam?
There is a reason they don't; most manufacturers no longer do this when an opening panel is concerned.

My only guess is it is due to the variation in panel gap. Non-opening panel gaps get tighter (likely for aero). Opening panels retain a larger gap for fitment and alignment issues; they also retain radiused corners. If everything "lined up," the gap at the radius would have to be quite large.

The small jog in panel gaps is therefore done to A) minimize the gap around the opening panel's corners and B) maintain the visual appearance (albeit from afar) that they "line up."
Old 09-25-2018, 01:37 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Would it have killed them to at least line up the hood with the fender / bumper seam?
I actually like this. A straight line would make the bumper look totally separated form the rest of the car. I really like how well it's integrated in 991.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Been on this site for a long time without registering or posting... having seen the 992 on the streets here in LA a few times now (albeit with light camo) I figure its time to register and start planning a trip to Germany. 992 Oktoberfest 2019 is getting more likely by the day. BUT having never bought a Porsche since I moved to LA I'd love recomendations for a Euro delivery friendly dealer if you've got em. Went to look at a targa 4s at bev hills and it was pretty clear I don't want to work with those guys.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE