2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:58 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Go drive one and the answer will be obvious.
Yup. What I wrote boiled-down to one short sentence.

Originally Posted by Argon_
A mid engine I5, where'd you see that?
Here:

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's more like that's an Audi that Porsche built.
Read it all here https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...d-lamborghini/
TLDR:

That written, an Audi-oxster with the 'RS motor would only be really interesting if they subcontract pretty-much everything other than the four-ring badge to Porsche. In particular, the suspension design, seats, stability control software and transaxle. The DSG and PDK, while identical in mission are vastly different in the real-world. Audi DSG as of the MK2 seemed pretty OK until I drove PDK. Porsche's touch on the embedded software for the Macan's version of DSG is almost, but moderately-annoyingly still not as good as PDK. On the row-your-own side of the fence, I'd think the only manual option would have to be a Porsche design.

Edit: I take that back about the manual. The 5-pot motor would, I think, have to be transversely-mounted and Porsche doesn't have any transverse transaxles that aren't rebadged Audi/VW units.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:07 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Yup. What I wrote boiled-down to one short sentence.

Here:

TLDR:

That written, an Audi-oxster with the 'RS motor would only be really interesting if they subcontract pretty-much everything other than the four-ring badge to Porsche. In particular, the suspension design, seats, stability control software and transaxle. The DSG and PDK, while identical in mission are vastly different in the real-world. Audi DSG as of the MK2 seemed pretty OK until I drove PDK. Porsche's touch on the embedded software for the Macan's version of DSG is almost, but moderately-annoyingly still not as good as PDK. On the row-your-own side of the fence, I'd think the only manual option would have to be a Porsche design.

Edit: I take that back about the manual. The 5-pot motor would, I think, have to be transversely-mounted and Porsche doesn't have any transverse transaxles that aren't rebadged Audi/VW units.
It would, unless they pull a BMW and just send it with the longitudinal layout. Alternatively, they could just beef the GTI transmission and throw that in. I'd be fine as long as we get a manual. Gotta bounce that warbling inline 5 off the limiter.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Argon_
It would, unless they pull a BMW and just send it with the longitudinal layout.
I don't think it would fit length-wise. It'd poke out between the front seats.
Alternatively, they could just beef the GTI transmission and throw that in.
Yup. More-or-less.
I'd be fine as long as we get a manual. Gotta bounce that warbling inline 5 off the limiter.
I doubt the US would get a manual. It would be fun to be wrong.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I don't think it would fit length-wise. It'd poke out between the front seats.

Yup. More-or-less.

I doubt the US would get a manual. It would be fun to be wrong.
They'd have to lengthen the car a few inches, though less than you'd think, as people have crammed LS motors into 987s.

Though that would make little sense compared to the transverse layout, which would allow a shorter wheelbase.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I’m sorry but the current TT RS is a far better all around car compared to the base 718 and S. We recently purchased one as my wife’s daily and we test drove the 718 and the TT RS was far more impressive in almost every way.

i wouldn’t take the TT RS over a 911 but to get a 718 that has enough options to be comparable to the TT RS, you are well into base 911 territory. So at that point, you might as well buy a 911.

And the current DCT in the TT RS is also a beast. The shifts are brutal in sport mode.

I would also take a 981 over the last gen TT RS. The same simply can’t be said about the current gen TT RS and the 718. Now if they put the inline 5 in the 718, along with the interior of the TT RS... that would be an amazing car.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

It’ll be good for catching the elusive land krill...
LOL very good - it has the "stunned mullet" look to me
Old 09-10-2018, 11:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I’m sorry but the current TT RS is a far better all around car compared to the base 718 and S.
I drove both the TTRS and 718S on track in europe - bested my time in the TT RS by three seconds. The handling of the 718S at the limit is far better as are the brakes. The steering and balance are far better too.

If the 718 GTS had the 991.2 Carrera S engine it would be absolutely outstanding.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I drove both the TTRS and 718S on track in europe - bested my time in the TT RS by three seconds. The handling of the 718S at the limit is far better as are the brakes. The steering and balance are far better too.

If the 718 GTS had the 991.2 Carrera S engine it would be absolutely outstanding.

^ The 718S beat the the TT RS by 1.5 sec around the track. No argument there.

But I believe I said "all around car" I'm sure I could find an example that would best your 718S time by X seconds that you wouldn't care to drive every day. Remember, this is my wife's daily so there was different criteria for this particular purchase. I would love to have seen my wife in the Porsche but I know she wouldn't have been as happy.

99% of owners never take these cars to the limit (myself included). The TT RS is a far more enjoyable car to get from A to B, has more theatre (sorry but the sound the 718 makes is terrible), much better interior (Audi RS cars are on a different level), very limited production numbers (I think there are 20x mk3's for sale in the country right now?), it feels special (Cayman feels like you couldn't afford a 911), and blows the doors off of a 718S from a stop. I have no doubt a 718S will consistently beat a TT RS on a twisty track but if track times are your primary goal, that's a totally different discussion and not one I was trying to have.

Again, I wouldn't have a TT RS over a 911 but the current 718 is a joke when you consider how much you have to spend to put it in a comparable league to other vehicle's in the same segment. The 718 will most likely never share a 911 motor again (excluding the GT4 but who knows at this point). IMO the 981 was a very compelling package at the time. Smaller than a 911, mid engine, NA flat six, great sound, great styling. The 981 GTS was amazing and the GT4 is a legend.

But I also think this was a problem for Porsche. If you didn't HAVE to have a 911, the 981 was arguably a better sports car for a better price. I don't think nearly as many customers are cross shopping the 718 and the 991 and for good reason.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Any new 992 pics?

718 / TT ??

Last edited by STG; 09-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I’m sorry but the current TT RS is a far better all around car compared to the base 718 and S. We recently purchased one as my wife’s daily and we test drove the 718 and the TT RS was far more impressive in almost every way.

i wouldn’t take the TT RS over a 911 but to get a 718 that has enough options to be comparable to the TT RS, you are well into base 911 territory. So at that point, you might as well buy a 911.

And the current DCT in the TT RS is also a beast. The shifts are brutal in sport mode.
Well then they must have been massively improved since the last gen RS5 I owned. The shifts in that were brutal, in a bad way. The tranny software in that car was awful. Ridiculously lazy in normal mode and ridiculously rough in sport mode.

The biggest issue I have with Audi vs. Porsche, is that Audi just doesn't get the ergonomics even close to perfect. The seat, pedal, wheel, windshield relationship and steering angle is just wacky compared to the perfection of a Porsche.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Any new 992 pics?

718 / TT ??
hybrid is coming

Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Turbo S version maybe

​​​​​​
Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Hybrid with acid green calipers
Old 09-10-2018, 01:32 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

But I believe I said "all around car"
As did I.

The brutality of the shifts in Sport mode are not a measure of the goodness of the transaxle's software. It's an indication of Audi Marketing's measure of the automotive acumen of its market for the car.

The interiors on the RS models are the exact same interiors as in the base models except with RS badging everywhere, extra/better leather and maybe some trim that's a different color. They still come with the same POS seats, poor interior ergonomics, poor adjustment range for seats and mirrors, etc.

They are still stupidly stiff on the road except for places like Southern CA that don't have seasons colder than 'warm' where pot holes are only known in legends or things that happen to poor folk.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well then they must have been massively improved since the last gen RS5 I owned. The shifts in that were brutal, in a bad way. The tranny software in that car was awful. Ridiculously lazy in normal mode and ridiculously rough in sport mode.

The biggest issue I have with Audi vs. Porsche, is that Audi just doesn't get the ergonomics even close to perfect. The seat, pedal, wheel, windshield relationship and steering angle is just wacky compared to the perfection of a Porsche.
Preach it Brother Archi!

Originally Posted by STG
Any new 992 pics?
718 / TT ??
LOL. Better find some. Quick.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Squires9914s
hybrid is coming

This is a Carrera and not Turbo S.

Hybrid is definitely coming as it's been noted.

Different grill design here around Cyclops ACC eye.

Thanks for pics. Squires always good for the win.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE