992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 09-07-2018, 08:53 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed the driver is in a racing seat in those orange car pics. Seems a bit odd they would do that on this model at this stage.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:58 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I just noticed the driver is in a racing seat in those orange car pics. Seems a bit odd they would do that on this model at this stage.

Do what? Test performance of a new model on the track?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM
_fletch
Racer

To have a race seat and harness (pretty sure he's got the harness but hard to see) you need a cage. I would think you would only be doing this if you were trying to set a lap time. My understanding (correct me if im wrong) was that these photos come from the normal manufacturers test sessions. It doesn't add up to me.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:45 AM
STG
Race Director

These are still performance sports cars. They do get pushed to the limit as if they were trying to set a record. Each one that comes out tries to be better than its predecessor.

The 992 test mule is flying around the Nürburgring!

What doesn't add up?? It's not a MB S Class

Last edited by STG; 09-07-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Gobbi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noway! You must be kidding, how come they can break any record on the Ring with that joke of a gear lever and hideous clam shell spoiler? It's a smaller panamera, it's not manly, sporty, legendary enough, nobody will buy it etc.
and with so much plastic and without sport package it should be disqualified immediately!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Your drawn outline covers it. That's the only similarity

The 992 doesn't even come close to the fender edge ...

Attachment 1290276
I don't see the oil or coolant filler caps under that giant spoiler when it's open. I wonder if you have to remove the bumper cover to access them as well now......

At least the 959 along with every other 911 before the 991 had the BRILLIANT idea of putting the spoiler onto the engine hatch itself rather than as a separate piece so that there was a significantly larger opening to service the vehicle through.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Each time they make changes in generation or mid cycle refresh, they make you more dependent on dealers. Geez, for 991.2, the front bumper needs to be taken off just to remove headlight units. They also use so many different fasteners, screw heads, etc ... a Porsche tech has a hard time keeping up and needs $10K+ of tools. They make nothing easy and over-engineer every trivial thing.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by Gobbi
Noway! You must be kidding, how come they can break any record on the Ring with that joke of a gear lever and hideous clam shell spoiler? It's a smaller panamera, it's not manly, sporty, legendary enough, nobody will buy it etc.
and with so much plastic and without sport package it should be disqualified immediately!
Im not talking about setting a lap record, but setting a lap time for the car. That's the only time I would expect them to put a cage and seat in, but they wouldn't (never as far as I know) do this on a manufacturer's test day. Perhaps they are preparing for an upcoming lap time session so they can quote it in the official unveiling.... It just seems odd to me.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Gobbi
Intermediate

it's a million of try and errors, really.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

To have a race seat and harness ... you need a cage.
Who says? (that you *have* to have a cage...)

You don’t even have to wear a helmet to drive on the Nordschleife.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:29 AM
_fletch
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
Who says? (that you *have* to have a cage...)

You don’t even have to wear a helmet to drive on the Nordschleife.
Racing harnesses attach to the rollcage behind the driver's shoulders, hence why you need a rollcage if you're running harnesses - nothing to do with Nordschleife rules.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Racing harnesses attach to the rollcage behind the driver's shoulders, hence why you need a rollcage if you're running harnesses - nothing to do with Nordschleife rules.
uh huh. harness bar?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I don't see the oil or coolant filler caps under that giant spoiler when it's open. I wonder if you have to remove the bumper cover to access them as well now......

At least the 959 along with every other 911 before the 991 had the BRILLIANT idea of putting the spoiler onto the engine hatch itself rather than as a separate piece so that there was a significantly larger opening to service the vehicle through.

Good catch. With the huge spoiler there is one less cut line, so unless the service access is under the engine grill, there are likely rubber covers under the spoiler to pop off to get to the oil and coolant caps and oil filter.

It is really no trouble removing such stuff or the cover in the frunk for access to the battery/etc on the 991. They lift right off. The air filter access under the rear bumper cap is something else, but its only what, every 40 k miles?.

I agree that it will take some getting used to viewed from the rear. But so did the ducktail, the whaletail and various wing appendages- all of which messed with the basic design line "purity" of the 911 to gain performance.

I'd bet that except for the new spoiler, you will have to point out difference from the 911 to all but the most dedicated Porsche fans. Those mourning the "purist, analog" days ought to appreciate that there is no need for gymnastics over and under for valve adjustment and oil change every 3500 miles (despite the fun and community of Saturday PCA "tech sessions" at local shops for DIYers and hangers-on), and a clean/dry garage floor.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 AM
lecoultre

Originally Posted by STG
Each time they make changes in generation or mid cycle refresh, they make you more dependent on dealers. Geez, for 991.2, the front bumper needs to be taken off just to remove headlight units. They also use so many different fasteners, screw heads, etc ... a Porsche tech has a hard time keeping up and needs $10K+ of tools. They make nothing easy and over-engineer every trivial thing.
probably taking a page from Apple. make everything non-user/3rd party accessible = more $$$
wouldn't put it past VW to employ such business strategies after the emissions scandal

Last edited by lecoultre; 09-07-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Good catch. With the huge spoiler there is one less cut line, so unless the service access is under the engine grill, there are likely rubber covers under the spoiler to pop off to get to the oil and coolant caps and oil filter.

It is really no trouble removing such stuff or the cover in the frunk for access to the battery/etc on the 991. They lift right off. The air filter access under the rear bumper cap is something else, but its only what, every 40 k miles?.

I agree that it will take some getting used to viewed from the rear. But so did the ducktail, the whaletail and various wing appendages- all of which messed with the basic design line "purity" of the 911 to gain performance.

I'd bet that except for the new spoiler, you will have to point out difference from the 911 to all but the most dedicated Porsche fans. Those mourning the "purist, analog" days ought to appreciate that there is no need for gymnastics over and under for valve adjustment and oil change every 3500 miles (despite the fun and community of Saturday PCA "tech sessions" at local shops for DIYers and hangers-on), and a clean/dry garage floor.

I figured the same.... Let's hope anyways....

The bumper cover and tail light removal to access the top of the engine is completely unforgivable and aside from the air filters anything that requires access up top from the belts,pulleys more major repair work down the line etc. all requires that first ridiculous step.. In the mid engine Cayman it's more forgivable for obvious reasons but for a rear engine car that should have very straightforward access, Porsche's recent disregard for that is nothing more than lazy , cost cutting and downright offensive to everyone involved after the initial purchase.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single mid engined car other than the Cayman that have as much limited engine access as the current rear engine 911's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE