2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccpecot

Thanks.

Can't get used to that spoiler up look ...

Looks like they haven't solved the PCCB caliper clearance issue. So tight rocks get caught in there sometimes and do big cosmetic damage.

Name:  photo685.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  photo326.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  217.6 KB

By the way, I keep updating the first post on this thread with updated pictures.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:39 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

How could anyone get used to that spoiler up look? It's disgusting and the way it breaks the body line from the side makes it look as if the car is being driven down the road with the rear hatch accidentally left open.... I know I'm preaching impending doom here but I just can't fathom that this spoiler design will make it to final production... They can't be that insane....
Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
STG
Race Director

The spoiler is here to stay!! They extended it wider now over the 991 which looks even worse now.

Guys, this car is almost production ready. Exterior wise, nothing much is changing except some small cosmetics.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:14 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Too much plastic in the back/front. Option for body color or sport design?! At least they got rid of the satellite antenna in the back.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Thanks.

Looks like they haven't solved the PCCB caliper clearance issue. So tight rocks get caught in there sometimes and do big cosmetic damage.

By the way, I keep updating the first post on this thread with updated pictures.
Thanks, I never noticed that before...... I usually just go to the last page and will keep that in mind:-) I'm with you on the spoiler. It may take some getting used to......
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcristobal
Too much plastic in the back/front. Option for body color or sport design?! At least they got rid of the satellite antenna in the back.

Not so quick. These aren't US spec cars that PCNA has an agreement with Sirius for.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:24 PM
STG
Race Director

This is as production ready as we've seen.

Name:  photo15.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  137.4 KB

Expect literally nothing to change.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,177 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The spoiler is here to stay!! They extended it wider now over the 991 which looks even worse now.

Guys, this car is almost production ready. Exterior wise, nothing much is changing except some small cosmetics.

The monstrous rear spoiler of the 992 has always been its worst feature for me. The rest is fairly innocuous by comparison. At least the driver should never see that ‘rear spoiler up’ view of the car!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

That spoiler. Just. Unbelievable.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Does anyone remember how the 991.1 was received pre and post launch by previous 911 generation owners?

Was it this poor a reception, which would mean that the way we see the 992 is a pretty typical level of whining?
Or were Porsche ‘purists’ on the whole pleased with exterior/interior design and mostly were disappointed by the lack of a manual option?

Originally Posted by STG
From what I've heard, this has been happening with every generation of the 911. Typical.

Thing is, new buyers keep entering the market and don't worry much about the "last model". Porsche is looking forward to who will be buying new cars in the future.

Are there things I'd tweak on the new one?? YES!!! It's not my decision though. Buyers vote with their $$$. That's the true measure of success or failure.
It's always like this. It was even like this when the 901 replaced the 356!

Some people left the brand/the 911 when Porsche lengthened the wheelbase...
... or added impact bumpers ...
... or got rid of the 915 transmission ...
... or got rid of torsion bars ...
... or got rid of pontoon front fenders ...
... or got rid of air cooling ...
... or got rid of the Mezger ...
... or got rid of hydraulic steering ...

And yet they keep making more money, which gives them more money to develop class-leading cars!

I believe that their only true misstep in recent years was the 996, and not just the headlights: the rear ends looks like a baboon's ***, the interior is terribly dated now, and overall quality and durability levels are markedly lower than the air cooled cars (or subsequent water cooled cars).

The 992 will be great and continue to occupy the market position that is has held for decades. Many of the whiners in this very thread will quietly eat crow and buy one. And then the cycle will start all over again in 7-8 years when the next generation is released.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That spoiler. Just. Unbelievable.
Reminds me of this. And I'm not even that old..

Old 09-05-2018, 04:27 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^ That's funny
Old 09-05-2018, 04:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^^ That's funny
992 looks better from the side with it's 'habit' up than does the 991. But, yeah, from the back the resemblance to Sister Bertrille's habit is severe.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
It's always like this. It was even like this when the 901 replaced the 356!

Some people left the brand/the 911 when Porsche lengthened the wheelbase...
... or added impact bumpers ...
... or got rid of the 915 transmission ...
... or got rid of torsion bars ...
... or got rid of pontoon front fenders ...
... or got rid of air cooling ...
... or got rid of the Mezger ...
... or got rid of hydraulic steering ...

And yet they keep making more money, which gives them more money to develop class-leading cars!

I believe that their only true misstep in recent years was the 996, and not just the headlights: the rear ends looks like a baboon's ***, the interior is terribly dated now, and overall quality and durability levels are markedly lower than the air cooled cars (or subsequent water cooled cars).

The 992 will be great and continue to occupy the market position that is has held for decades. Many of the whiners in this very thread will quietly eat crow and buy one. And then the cycle will start all over again in 7-8 years when the next generation is released.

This is such an empty argument, so you believe the 996 was a misstep looking back but when people complained about it when it was coming out they too were written off just the same right?

All the previous supposed complaints you have listed were all for good and logical reasons and many of which were done to increase the driving experience and performance. Now it's much harder to justify these changes as such and I'd argue most of this 992's design issues represent nothing more than needless change for the sake of change.

Some people left the brand/the 911 when Porsche lengthened the wheelbase... * To improve stability with little to no drawbacks.
... or added impact bumpers ... * Obvious safety reasons.
... or got rid of the 915 transmission ... * The transmission was downright horrible and outdated when it was finally phased out. I don't know a single person who prefers that ghastly gearbox over the G50.
... or got rid of torsion bars ... * Done for obvious performance reasons with no drawbacks that I could see.
... or got rid of pontoon front fenders ... * Done for obvious aerodynamic improvements
... or got rid of air cooling ... * Done for obvious performance reasons , air cooling was pushed as far as it could have ever gone.
... or got rid of the Mezger ... * Replacing an outdated engine that had reached the end of it's logical cycle.
... or got rid of hydraulic steering ... * Slightly controversial with slightly reduced feel but ultimately done for efficiency gains. Still the best in the business for electric steering and reduced complexity.

There is no crow to eat here as many including myself view this 992 generation to be the very end. In 7-8 years the 911 will likely cease to exist as we know it and it will definitely not be it's own platform and if it's even allowed to retain an ICE will likely be so distorted with over complicated electrical hybrid nonsense that it might as well be renamed altogether.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:21 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Plus, so far as I can see no one here has taken any issue for performance related or structural changes, if for no other reason than the fact that none of us yet know what said changes are.

My question was purely from, and limited to, a stylistic perspective.

I wasn't a part of the Porsche world at that time but I can't imagine as many 997 owners looked at pics of a 991 and said damn that thing is butt ugly, or did they?

Even if they did I'd bet a bottle of pappy that no one said, "wtf is up with that shifter?"
And a second bottle if a person can be identified in a Porsche focus group that said "hey you know what sucks? Having the option to shift the pdk with my hand"
That's literally the definition of an answer looking for a terrible question no one ever asked.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE