Originally Posted by Squires9914s
Yellow is insane . Can’t wait to see the real one at LA auto show

All the best 911s are yellow

Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lecoultre
I've been studying the photos of the test cars in various colors and I think we are in for a nasty surprise once the camo tape comes off, and it is not about the rear bumper. The rear bumper will be the least of worries (once the black tape comes off). The looks of the rear of the 992 will break tradition from every previous generation of 911.

This is the key detail: There is a body colored strip below the rear window and above the rear radiator grills. I think in every test car, this strip is being covered by body colored wrap. It will actually be black in the final car, regardless of chosen body color. If you look closely at the various spy pics, you will see this. The car looks great (bumper issues aside) because this strip is still body colored in all the test cars.

It seems like a small detail, but if that strip is black, then visually, the rear window will merge with the black radiator grill, giving the illusion of a very long rear window in every body color except black. In all previous 911 generations, the bottom of the rear window always meets visually with the c of the side windows. This creates the fundamental look of all 911s: a greenhouse formed by the windows, and a muscular humped look in the rear. If the bottom of the rear window becomes extended, it will lose that characteristic muscular hump of the 911. It will look like say a Cayman from the back. The characteristic muscular and powerful look is gone. The only muscularity is from the rear wheel arches. I'm not sure if i am describing this clearly. But the change in look will be dramatic. And completely pointless. Details aside, the proportions/shape of the rear of the 992 seems perfect to me (looking from the black test mules). Why do they then f it up for sake of fashion?

It saddens me to see VW gradually getting rid of many of the things that have made Porsche cars unique in the past, its heritage. Little things, but little things that add up, little things that become even more important in this age of shared chassis and parts bins. Case in point: Every previous 911 had handlebar type exterior door handles. They decided to get rid of that. Sure the new ones are sleek, like a supermodel: soulless. And the interior L-shaped door handles now look like that of every other Audi/Volkswagen. And even the bigger things: the sound of the engines, now the fundamental look of the rear. Ugh.
Judging by the image that was first leaked, I think you are 100% right about the rear.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I don't know about the strip, but I was thinking the exact same thing this morning when I was looking at the latest pics, i.e., that the rear window looks longer than the prior version and a bit odd.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

I've been studying the photos of the test cars in various colors and I think we are in for a nasty surprise once the camo tape comes off, and it is not about the rear bumper. The rear bumper will be the least of worries (once the black tape comes off). The looks of the rear of the 992 will break tradition from every previous generation of 911.

This is the key detail: There is a body colored strip below the rear window and above the rear radiator grills. I think in every test car, this strip is being covered by body colored wrap. It will actually be black in the final car, regardless of chosen body color. If you look closely at the various spy pics, you will see this. The car looks great (bumper issues aside) because this strip is still body colored in all the test cars.

It seems like a small detail, but if that strip is black, then visually, the rear window will merge with the black radiator grill, giving the illusion of a very long rear window in every body color except black. In all previous 911 generations, the bottom of the rear window always meets visually with the c of the side windows. This creates the fundamental look of all 911s: a greenhouse formed by the windows, and a muscular humped look in the rear. If the bottom of the rear window becomes extended, it will lose that characteristic muscular hump of the 911. It will look like say a Cayman from the back. The characteristic muscular and powerful look is gone. The only muscularity is from the rear wheel arches. I'm not sure if i am describing this clearly. But the change in look will be dramatic. And completely pointless. Details aside, the proportions/shape of the rear of the 992 seems perfect to me (looking from the black test mules). Why do they then f it up for sake of fashion?

It saddens me to see VW gradually getting rid of many of the things that have made Porsche cars unique in the past, its heritage. Little things, but little things that add up, little things that become even more important in this age of shared chassis and parts bins. Case in point: Every previous 911 had handlebar type exterior door handles. They decided to get rid of that. Sure the new ones are sleek, like a supermodel: soulless. And the interior L-shaped door handles now look like that of every other Audi/Volkswagen. And even the bigger things: the sound of the engines, now the fundamental look of the rear. Ugh.
Based on this photo, I think you are correct:

Although maybe it will be optional in exterior color? Either way, I really don't think it is that big of a deal. The 991 GT3 RS and GT2 RS pull this look off just fine, granted that's with a large wing obscuring it partially. Still, I don't think it changes the look of the car all that much. And it makes better design sense if you think about it. Granted the decklid is now completely fixed, it totally changes the architecture in the rear of the car, and eliminates a need for a sheetmetal cross section.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

So I created the following image for comparison. I really think we should be going off of the Instagram leak from earlier this year for the final design:

Some notes I thought were interesting:

Image A: You can see the rear bumper is free of black tape above and below the opening shown in image C. The color matched vinyl is also absent from between the deck and rear window.

Image B: You can see the front bumper is free of black tape below the opening shown in image D. The color matched vinyl is also absent from the middle of the opening.

I believe Porsche is using a mix of black tape and color matched vinyl to hide the final design of the front and rear bumpers.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Basically like this pic ... which to date seems to be the only one that PAG hasn't gone out its way to make sure everyone sees, and which also doesn't have all that masking tape above the lower rear fascia.

Here ... I've got extra if anyone wants some:

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Don't worry, when that massive clam shell of a rear spoiler deploys, it'll cover up the long window...
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Here, I had a friend chop this for me ... it seems that this is close to what we now think the *** will look like. (maybe a bit more tail light on the side)

Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Here, I had a friend chop this for me ... it seems that this is close to what we now think the *** will look like. (maybe a bit more tail light on the side)

You must be trying to give Archimedes a nervous breakdown!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
So I created the following image for comparison. I really think we should be going off of the Instagram leak from earlier this year for the final design:

Some notes I thought were interesting:

Image A: You can see the rear bumper is free of black tape above and below the opening shown in image C. The color matched vinyl is also absent from between the deck and rear window.

Image B: You can see the front bumper is free of black tape below the opening shown in image D. The color matched vinyl is also absent from the middle of the opening.

I believe Porsche is using a mix of black tape and color matched vinyl to hide the final design of the front and rear bumpers.

Was going to do the same thing. You are correct and good catch by lecoultre.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea

Here's my crappy addition, by adding body color to the bottom diffuser like in the leaked Yellow pic:

Name:  GhRjaIH.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG
You must be trying to give Archimedes a nervous breakdown!!!
No, no that picture relaxes me. Because it would be the worst looking 911 ever made and there’s a zero percent chance I’d ever be tempted to buy one. 😉
Old 09-05-2018, 03:16 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm just the opposite. Imv, this will be the first 911, which will look aggressive in its basic (Carrera) trim.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:15 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

I never thought about it much before today but my 996 does not have "handlebar" door handles. The cars before it and after it did. I know the 996 is much maligned for its design, in some cases I'd say unwarranted, but I didn't realize until now even the door handles not being "traditional" would be a complaint someone would have had about that black sheep. I guess they're giving it another go.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 AM
lecoultre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had too much time on my hands, and did some really shoddy work with MS Paint. Probably will have to squint a lot and reduce the size of the pics...

I think it still looks good, but definitely feel that it has lost a lot of the look of a 911 from the rear. And compared to the same silver pics with all the camo on (before MS Paint), it's strange to say, but i think the car actually looks a lot better with all the camouflage still on. The rear window has the proper length, and the black bits reduce the perceived length of the car and overhangs.

The 911 has grown a lot in size and length over the years, and the long rear window maybe suits it more? I worry that by the next generation, it will have moved even further away from what a 911 'should look like'. The 911 seems to be moving towards a generic sleek, sharp, sports car look. And the rear wing when deployed really changes the profile/look of the car. The length and look is starting to remind me of those 911 GT1s from Le Man....or a 928...

I'm starting to get the design more...the design concept of trapezoids/rectangles and curves is very cohesive in the exterior and interior elements. Exterior (front turn signals, door handles, side mirrors, rear lights, front and rear bumper) and interior (door handle, silver cosmetic strip across the dash, the rectangular look, aircon vents) all echo that unique shape. Imo, it's a really nice design, if there wasn't all that historical 'baggage', if the badge wasn't 911......maybe they should create a new flagship sports car that is bigger with a different name, and retain the 911 as a smaller sports car (equal in model hierarchy, and price, but different). something that looks like a 993...hmm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE