Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

The pic of the red one makes the front end somewhat insect-like.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:38 PM
baronwilberforce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to reserve judgement on the exterior until we get some final pics. More concerned about the interior...

The little snippets of colour we get in the various mules means that there will be fewer black plastic bits than what you can see now.

Plus, the gazillion options that Porsche provides means that you'll probably be able to get any black bits you don't like painted.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This white car is actually vinyl wrapped in white. Look by the front license plate. The lines where it meets the black plastic aren't representative of the actual lines.

Has the ACC Cyclops eye still. Can't they get rid of that?? The center looks open. Third radiator?
It does have that look:-) Overall, I'm liking the looks of the car more and more....
Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 AM
pietrostone
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 09-01-2018, 02:50 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

^^^ Nice colour and great wheels!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
^^^ Nice colour and great wheels!

Agree. As you can see, the yellow is a vinyl wrap as well. It cuts off in odd spots when hitting the black parts. Will be a better look in production.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Agree. As you can see, the yellow is a vinyl wrap as well. It cuts off in odd spots when hitting the black parts. Will be a better look in production.

Am not sure that the white car and the yellow car are wrapped entirely, but there is certainly quite a bit of vinyl and/or tape at both ends.

Agree that the final unveiled production version will look better than any of these ‘spy shots’.

Getting a bit bored of people saying there’s too much black plastic at the front and/or rear. As far as I know, we have not yet seen a fully un-disguised 992!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Some very valid design comments here. Reality is, they aren't designing the 992 for most of the guys and enthusiasts here. They're designing it for emerging markets and people who have yet to step foot into a 911.

China is Porsche's #1 sales market and has overpassed the USA. Says something.
I was just reading through these posts to catch up and was thinking the same thing. This 911 is designed for the Asian market and remarks made here are pointless. They are not building a sports car 911, they are building a GT techno-show for crazy rich Asians.

The VW group has no concern for the 911 rich heritage. They want to build more 911’s while reducing costs. Case-in-point: reduce color choices on current 991 to reduce change-over production time and increase custom color requests. On the 992, they removed all seam contours so they can just slap the bumpers on with not much fitting. The interior components look to be shared with other models and divisions. The VW group is pulling Porsche into their group GM style and have no clue about their halo heritage. I predict this will be a success in other parts of the world, but ultimately will lead to a decline when Asians find their next interest.

Bottom line: I think Porsche would have done better to make a Panamera coupe and focused the current platform into a 991.3. From what I am seeing, I’ll be ordering another 991 and keeping it a long time or moving to another marque.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

I was just reading through these posts to catch up and was thinking the same thing. This 911 is designed for the Asian market and remarks made here are pointless. They are not building a sports car 911, they are building a GT techno-show for crazy rich Asians.

The VW group has no concern for the 911 rich heritage. They want to build more 911’s while reducing costs. Case-in-point: reduce color choices on current 991 to reduce change-over production time and increase custom color requests. On the 992, they removed all seam contours so they can just slap the bumpers on with not much fitting. The interior components look to be shared with other models and divisions. The VW group is pulling Porsche into their group GM style and have no clue about their halo heritage. I predict this will be a success in other parts of the world, but ultimately will lead to a decline when Asians find their next interest.

Bottom line: I think Porsche would have done better to make a Panamera coupe and focused the current platform into a 991.3. From what I am seeing, I’ll be ordering another 991 and keeping it a long time or moving to another marque.
The 911 is getting less pure, but you'll find every equivalent to be at the same level or much worse.

Hopefully the new Carrera still has non adaptive suspension, engine mounts, trans mounts. That way you can stiffen everything up without aggravating the computers.

Maybe a new Cayman GT4 or GT3. The mainstream cars are drifting slowly into GT territory. On the lower end, you could snag an M2 Comp. Those are harsh, drifty, quintessentially RWD, smiles per gallon machines.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
From the side profile view excluding the door handles and mirrors, it looks identical to the 991 to me.

Yeah, it's fascinating to me, as a 997 owner, to see 991 guys hating on the 992 so much. I see the differences in the front and rear, but they just aren't so dramatic to me where this feels Porsche's jump-the-shark moment. If you already like the 991, I don't see all that much to complain about with the 992.

That said, it's always interesting to watch "[current gen] is the last real 911" unfold in real time.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Yeah, it's fascinating to me, as a 997 owner, to see 991 guys hating on the 992 so much. I see the differences in the front and rear, but they just aren't so dramatic to me where this feels Porsche's jump-the-shark moment. If you already like the 991, I don't see all that much to complain about with the 992.

That said, it's always interesting to watch "[current gen] is the last real 911" unfold in real time.
For me the big downside from 997 to 991 design language change was the ribs on the rear 3/4 panels that came down intact instead of smoothing out into a nice round butt like the 997. However I really liked what they did with the front corner lights on the 991 and the wider front really made a big difference too.

I feel like the actually went back to a rounder rear 3/4 on the 992 but then ruined the lower back with the robocop taillights and chunky black bumper. And the front of the 992... looks like they had some bullet points like "make it more retro with 993 creases" that they threw together without thinking about how it would look when finished.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:45 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I just don't like the overwhelming black grills on both front and back. Perhaps it wouldn't look too bad on a black car, but on yellow or white it just looks weird,
Old 09-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Argon_
The 911 is getting less pure, but you'll find every equivalent to be at the same level or much worse.

Hopefully the new Carrera still has non adaptive suspension, engine mounts, trans mounts. That way you can stiffen everything up without aggravating the computers.

Maybe a new Cayman GT4 or GT3. The mainstream cars are drifting slowly into GT territory. On the lower end, you could snag an M2 Comp. Those are harsh, drifty, quintessentially RWD, smiles per gallon machines.
I had a 135is a few cars ago that was a lot of fun and know what you mean!
Old 09-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I just don't like the overwhelming black grills on both front and back. Perhaps it wouldn't look too bad on a black car, but on yellow or white it just looks weird,
Yeah I think a lot of brands have done the black grill that looks like it goes all the way down, or lots of black plastic on the back recently, but are starting to go away from that trend because it just doesn't look very good.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl

Like the 997 vs the 996? Simple design changes can make a difference.

For me, I currently have a choice of ordering another 991 or waiting for a 992. From what I have seen so far, the 991 looks better to me. Trust me, I love new stuff. I love improvements. In fact, I work in the area of advanced technologies.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE