2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I completely agree but what I don't get is why this 99.9% are purchasing high end, niche vehicles in the first place. If it's mundane A-B they are after why even bother paying a premium for an Audi , Porsche etc. because it's their heavy influence that is shifting the market and effectively ruining enthusiasts brands with this garbage.
Because “Lifestyle”

i.e. impressing yourself and those in your sphere by how much money you can spend relative to the unwashed masses.

Then, complaining about not enough cup holders, too much road feel, cabin noise, hard seats, etc.

This started in the late 80s when Porsche retreated ‘up market’ due to currency valuations and Japanese sports car competition.

CarChick got invited to many marketing focus groups in the late 90s and early 00s and reported back on the type invited. Short story: she’s a racer and the rest were ... ‘non-enthusiasts.’
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD

Spotted on the 10 in SoCal

Nice pics. Turbo S.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,733 Likes on 4,764 Posts

I completely agree but what I don't get is why this 99.9% are purchasing high end, niche vehicles in the first place. If it's mundane A-B they are after why even bother paying a premium for an Audi , Porsche etc. because it's their heavy influence that is shifting the market and effectively ruining enthusiasts brands with this garbage.
A Porsche 911 is not a high end, niche vehicle.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the shots.

Can someone walk up to these cars and start taking interior shots.

When will these prototypes come to the east coast. I want to see them in my area

Turbo looks alright but will these come with old school license plate lighters. Omg those things make the car look ugly. I hope those come off
Old 07-27-2018, 02:50 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's not? LOL

Originally Posted by worf928

Because “Lifestyle”

i.e. impressing yourself and those in your sphere by how much money you can spend relative to the unwashed masses.

Then, complaining about not enough cup holders, too much road feel, cabin noise, hard seats, etc.

This started in the late 80s when Porsche retreated ‘up market’ due to currency valuations and Japanese sports car competition.

CarChick got invited to many marketing focus groups in the late 90s and early 00s and reported back on the type invited. Short story: she’s a racer and the rest were ... ‘non-enthusiasts.’
Yep.

Indeed. All about image for those types. They want the look and prestige, but want the attitude and functionality of a Camry.

That horrible computerized fake noise emitting from that Audi is the sound of 100+ years of automotive passion and tradition down the drain....
Agreed. The computerized exhaust in newer V6 Audi's is horrendous. A joke. It would sound immensely better if they just left it to the natural exhaust (which isn't anything to write home about.... but not offensive as the simulation).

Originally Posted by Benedict14

I actually think there may be hope. The last car that peels out with a little acceleration (the one where they flashed a peace sign) sounded pretty good. I hate the exaggerated turbo whistle of the 991.2 cars. I didn’t hear it on that car. It’s never going to sound like a NA car, but I think these cars will sound much better.

Porsche has been getting an earful (sorry) about the sound of the 991.2 for nearly 2 years, and the sales haven’t been as stellar as they’d like. They’re a proud gang of German gear heads - I doubt that they like having the 911 sound ‘meh’. That’s not really in their DNA. I remain an optimistic cynic.

That exaggerated turbo sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me. And it doesn't even sound "cool turbo" as in it doesn't have a brutal "whoosh," it sounds more like a homogized computerized EV sound, and it never changes note, hence the "vacuum" comparisons. I've never heard another turbo that sounds like the .2 NA2 turbos. Very odd sound to me. If the 992 doesn't have it, maybe it means Porsche in some haphazard desire to make up for not having enough time to focus on the 991.2's exhaust note (something they've publicly admitted), "engineered" that sound in.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
They all sound like fart machines except the GT4, which couldn't be heard, and the Spyder, which what little sound you hear sure sounds NA. Really don't understand why Porsche can't make their turbos sound better than they do, when other manufacturers seem to be doing an okay job at it. Is it something about the flat six or is Porsche just trying to make them sound more raw and simply missing the mark?
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Just a shame that Ferrari and McLaren seem to be able to make a turbo motor sound pretty good but Porsche can't seem to best a Civic in that department. Makes no sense to me.
Because ...

This-^

and This-^

... and exhaust length.

The more length and volume you have to play with the more latitude you have in tuning the sound of the exhaust. You can add resonators, combiners, play with manifold design etc. But, when you have to stuff the complete exhaust and two cats in something the size of two bread boxes you're kinda screwed.
Good point. Also would explain why a Supercar killer such as the 911 Turbo sounds so mundane.

Ferrari and McLaren have certainly done better with turbo sounds for that reason, but even them I find "meh." McLaren engines sound very one-note to me, something that seems like it would get tiring after a while as there's not enough "music" to it. But still, overall a good sound. Ferrari turbo's do decently too.... until you drive or hear it back to back with a Ferrari N/A. I drove a California T, and it sounded "okay." Fairly brutal, but definitely had that homogenized, monotone-deep-breathing turbo effect. Their patent to fix that in future cars does sound promising.

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I don't dislike them, but use the stick as much as I use the steering wheel. I'll go way out and say that my GTS does not have paddles, but the "thumb buttons" (or whatever they were/are called) and find them very useful,...I can do either up or down from either side and of course they are just as fast as the paddles or stick. How's that for being in the minority :-)
Originally Posted by porscherex
+1. Another minority here. I like my multi-functional steering wheel with the "thumby" paddles. When PDK is in manual, I only use the stick. I had a sport design steering wheel in a prior car - but a few times at a DE the position of the wheel made it awkward to paddle shift. Like the stick better.
Agree here. I would prefer paddles purely because I prefer the tactile feel, but the buttons actually are more functional. Shifting with either hand in either direction comes in handy often when driving spiritedly, or even purely functionally during normal driving. Dare I say Porsche (as often) had it right all along.

The stick is important as it gives you another location option to shift (depending on what you're doing), and also most importantly, feels cool and adds an additional bonding element with the car.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Never leave the bubble of your generated reality: the adjustment to actual reality would probably result in a fatal stroke.

Last edited by worf928; 07-27-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Never leave the bubble of your generated reality: the adjustment to actually reality would probably result in a fatal stroke.
You crack me up! I totally agree btw, but man thanks for the laugh too!!!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dribar
You crack me up! I totally agree btw, but man thanks for the laugh too!!!
I call'em as I see'em. Damn auto-complete stuck a grammo in though.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

How came this bit about computerized sound up in this discussion anyway? I thought Porsche said they're not going to use artificially generated sound. So far they haven't?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:39 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

992 GTS test mules spotted: https://www.motor1.com/news/260328/porsche-911-gts-spy-photos/

Last edited by mallocfailure; 07-27-2018 at 08:42 PM. Reason: non-AMP link
Old 07-27-2018, 08:48 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 992 Color options?

Anyone read anything about color choices? I think I read that the 992 will no longer have Agate Grey but, can't find that web site again. I think a different grey color replaced it.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:52 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Panamera still had agathe grey plus the new vulcano grey!

hope to find the vulcano grey also on the 911, so far i think you could only choose agathe grey for the 911...
Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Will definitely be interesting to see what the end product looks like. I wish I could like the damn 3.0tt motor... :/
Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Crikey the pic of that 992 Turbo Cab in Dubai looks horrific. *** looks massive.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:24 PM
MaximusNL
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone notice that the external mirrors on both cars differ? The one on the Nurburgring are more sharp and edged compared to the one on the road. Seems that the Nurburgring ones are more like the modern Audi mirrors? Must say I like them.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE