Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
I drove in a sprint event on friday. (1) 991GT3RS (2) 997CUP (3)991 Series 2 S PKit, followed by multiple GT3s, a GT4, GTSs,Cayman Rs and Ss, then older 911s etc.
I'd like to join that event next time. Can you share some more info?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting

not a contract. At least at my old dealer. Others might be different
ah OK, we, in effect sign a contract - I realise thats a big ask for sight unseen.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I'd like to join that event next time. Can you share some more info?
If you're in Australia - I can help out - please PM me, the snakes bite, I don't
Old 03-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I was thinking about the 911 today as I drove it home from getting an 80k service, and what really makes it a great car is it’s one of the world’s best point A to point B cars, while still bring a pretty satisfying point A to point A car... maybe not as much as a Boxster, Ferrari, etc, but still great whereas those cars don’t compare to the 911 at A to B.

So my worry is that while Porsche reckons they can improve on A to B with the .2 and now 992, but that that may not really possible without sacrificing some ability to do A to A.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I was thinking about the 911 today as I drove it home from getting an 80k service, and what really makes it a great car is it’s one of the world’s best point A to point B cars, while still bring a pretty satisfying point A to point A car... maybe not as much as a Boxster, Ferrari, etc, but still great whereas those cars don’t compare to the 911 at A to B.

So my worry is that while Porsche reckons they can improve on A to B with the .2 and now 992, but that that may not really possible without sacrificing some ability to do A to A.

What do you guys think?
That's a good way to sum it up.

Disappointing for me cause I've always liked A-A biased cars, even for A-B duty.

It's a 1 sum game. To gain one attribute you must diminish another. Most cars don't get anywhere near adding to 1. The 911 always has.

Just a shame that the obtainable ones are moving so far to luxury.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dewinator

What do you guys think?[/left]
I think you partially have a point, but that trend dates back almost 30 years. The 964 was more bourgeois than the 3.2, and the 993 a tad more than the 964 and so forth. At the same time the newer generations have pretty much always been praised as better drivers cars, too, not just better point A to point B. So I think we'll likely be ok. I reckon 911s will die of electric death before they become too pussified.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you partially have a point, but that trend dates back almost 30 years. The 964 was more bourgeois than the 3.2, and the 993 a tad more than the 964 and so forth. At the same time the newer generations have pretty much always been praised as better drivers cars, too, not just better point A to point B. So I think we'll likely be ok. I reckon 911s will die of electric death before they become too pussified.
The economics of gas will keep it going a good while longer. Remember that when EVs have a 30 percent market share, the current ridiculous subsidies will be infeasible. They'll go back to being expensive.

On the other hand, gassers will be cheap.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by JF22
Looks like it makes the rocking world go round . I like it a lot (though?).
Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Looks like it makes the rocking world go round . I like it a lot (though?).
Originally Posted by JF22
Now that's a good looking back end.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:51 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the new exhaust look. I hope that is with the PSE option (I am so hoping it is so).
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Now that's a good looking back end.
You're joking right?

That looks horrible. Is that real or just a rendering?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Not sure thats the case at all - I believe 911 deliveries at the end of 2017 were at an all time high.

Does power matter? not on its own. Thats the beauty of Porsche sports cars they are an integrated platform. How good? I drove in a sprint event on friday. (1) 991GT3RS (2) 997CUP (3)991 Series 2 S PKit, followed by multiple GT3s, a GT4, GTSs,Cayman Rs and Ss, then older 911s etc.

The point being, Porsche know how to deliver performance across a car. Integrated performance sells, particularly in a package that goes under the radar. Whether you use it or not is a matter of personal choice - I happen to use it.

Integrated performance and versatility - thats why the 992 will sell well.
Now we cycle back into this. China centric 911's nor sales benefit the U.S. In fact, the opposite. This is my entire point and reasoning for expressing frustration re: their not catering to clear U.S market desires, when the writing couldn't be any clearer on the wall.

Patting Porsche on the back for increasing allocations and market preferences to the China while U.S 2 door P Car sales keep spiraling (yes, 2017 911 sales tied with 2016 sales, which were already considerably down from previous years.. which is not a good thing as the popular GT3 was factored into 2017 sales) is counter productive. For us.

But, I guess you're in AUS and I have no idea how that market looks.

Funny, as there was a member named RANDR who shares a lot of your preferences and opinions, and was also completely track-centric. He was banned. He tried starting a "RANDR 2" profile, which was also banned. RRDNA is "RANDR" with the last 4 letters reversed, and you're both from Australia. Quite a coincidence. If you ever run into him, say hi for us.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Funny, as there was a member named RANDR who was shares a lot of your preferences and opinions, and was also completely track-centric. He was banned. He tried starting a "RANDR 2" profile, which was also banned. RRDNA is "RANDR" with the last 4 letters reversed, and you're both from Australia. Quite a coincidence. If you ever run into him, say hi for us.
Funny that. I guess he decided not to come back - whereas you did.

The world stops for no man and Porsche continues to evolve.

Many of us like that evolution and appreciate the range of performance now on offer and recognise that the 992 will build on that. I like driving the pants of my Porsches, they are a great experience if you how how to drive them hard. I happen to enjoy that in well controlled safe environments where you can drive to the max with limited risk to oneself and ones vehicle (Professionally run track events and multi-day closed road events).

Interestingly I don't have a "completely" track centric view - However, I would point out that experience allows me to understand a vehicles capability and where its weaknesses lay - in great detail. It also generates a lot of data, which is useful to those that understand it.

I am very interested in the array of changes to the 992 and what that means for performance, drivability and livability. I am interested in the future and what that may mean for the next gen GT3- I think, based on the performance of the 991.2 GTS that the 992GT3 will be spectacularly good.

Also have money down on the GT4, so potentially best of both worlds - sounds like a great plan to me
Old 03-06-2018, 03:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Funny that. I guess he decided not to come back - whereas you did.

The world stops for no man and Porsche continues to evolve.

Many of us like that evolution and appreciate the range of performance now on offer and recognise that the 992 will build on that. I like driving the pants of my Porsches, they are a great experience if you how how to drive them hard. I happen to enjoy that in well controlled safe environments where you can drive to the max with limited risk to oneself and ones vehicle (Professionally run track events and multi-day closed road events).

Interestingly I don't have a "completely" track centric view - However, I would point out that experience allows me to understand a vehicles capability and where its weaknesses lay - in great detail. It also generates a lot of data, which is useful to those that understand it.

I am very interested in the array of changes to the 992 and what that means for performance, drivability and livability. I am interested in the future and what that may mean for the next gen GT3- I think, based on the performance of the 991.2 GTS that the 992GT3 will be spectacularly good.

Also have money down on the GT4, so potentially best of both worlds - sounds like a great plan to me
Lol. Sure.

I'd guess well over 90% of 911 drivers don't participate in track events, so don't relate to your angle of viewpoint. A lot of newer cars require you to push them to their limits, in order to feel anything. This is exactly what 911 buyer data in the U.S signifies 911 buyers don't want, hence why every "purist" 911 gets bid up tens of thousands of dollars with waiting lists that render them nearly unobtainable, and why sports car sales in general keep declining (why buy a small car that has the isolation and luxury of a sedan, when a sedan can bring in similar numbers and feel barely less visceral?).

What you call "evolve," others will call "devolve." I can make a bet right now that the 992 will be the worst selling 911 generation in U.S history, but I don't want to bet on something I'm rooting against (I want it to fulfill the elements that made previous 911's so legendary, therefore do well). To me, the 718 are big steps backwards, despite better on paper performance, and sales reflect that. If the 992 Carrera feels as coddling and techy as an M5, while underperforming an M5 (again, NOT TRACK, most buyers don't care about track as much as daily commutes and backroads), sacrificing space, and costing more, what's the point? I know what USED to be the point: A raw, exotic, raucous engagement. But without that, you essentially have a sports car made to feel like a sedan, therefore giving up the argument to buy a sports car. No coincidence, as when this "China centric" downsized/isolated/refined/tech-heavy trend started within the sports car world, sports car sales started to decline heavily in the States.

And "evolve" in the car world is becoming an irrelevant term now, unless we're talking environmentally. Porsche has explicitly stated that their moves, from new engines to EV's are due to regulations. Engineers, boardrooms, and politicians are rarely, if ever, in agenda unison. Consumer demand isn't shifting the automotive market as much as positioning for the mandatory transportation revolution.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE