Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Bahahaha I think even Dodge designers refer to that as the “Dodge bleeeaaaaagfffguuuuee”.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 360 would have made a great looking Mitsubishi, but it made a crappy looking Ferrari. The F355 was a tough act to follow.
WAT. I think the 360 shape is probably the most timeless Ferrari, post 60's. Most Ferrari's look time-stamped (which in their very unique case, actually raises novelty as they're not really representatives of a time period, as much as the FACES of a time period, at least pre-2000's). The Modena to this day can sit next to anything and look sleeker and sexier. You simply can't tell what era it's from, if you didn't know. I LOVE how it's all rounded and smooth, as that's the language that makes for timeless, beautiful, classic cars. All the newer, creased, angular Ferrari's will look dated extremely quickly, in comparison. There's a guy I often see with a ragged out Modena (wrapped over the original paint and now it looks "new again") and people always gawk at it. That says a lot for a car who's design is not overt or in your face gimmicky. It's all in the effortless shape and architecture.

The F430, of course, perfected the 360 design. Namely the Scuderia.

Originally Posted by Bemo
Driving dynamics will be improved I'm sure.
But if I wanted a faster, quieter car I would have bought a Tesla with ludicrous mode. I know this topic has been beaten to death so I can say with confidence that I will never sell my .1GTS for a non-GT turbo offering, be it the 991.2 or 992.
Some will and I'm happy.
When I buy a car I buy an engine, first and foremost, others a total package.
I'm looking forward to the 992 more out of curiosity than anything else but curiosity won't be paying the bills in Stuttgart....
Yep. I find it humorous that people with 12 and 11 second cars keep screaming for "FASTER" when they know they've never used more than 250 out of 350-450 horses while they putt to the office in traffic. It's all about internet bragging rights these days. You can get a Tesla MINIVAN that will keep up with or edge out a 911 Turbo S in a straight line! If you truly want speed and will excuse it being done in "serene refinement" because "it must be better because technological advances" then get an M5. I know people don't want to face the fact that it's a 10 second car that runs a 2.8 0-60 (i.e will absolutely annihilate any turbo 3.0 Carrera), but it is. It has 2 turbos, a V8, and is quiet and comfortable in a fashion I predict the 992 will edge further closer to.

So I ask again, when is Porsche going to understand that speed and power isn't what sells 911's? In the U.S, if anything, you can correlate a decline in sales when the focus is on pure power. My concern is that by the time they "understand" that, they'll be starting the process of shifting 911 allocations to the other side of the globe from us, because people won't be *inspired* to buy one anymore. And let's stop acting like Porsche "know all and are doing everything by design and on purpose." It's simply not true. How many articles have we read with a direct quote from a corporate head along the lines of "we were surprised by the demand of [enter purist model that was so fawned over, you couldn't get one, markups were massive, and they were asking nearly 918 prices]"? They're amidst an extreme grey area in the automotive world: Purist cars become more revered than ever, the necessity to shift into mandatory EV, balancing being a drivers-brand with having to go automated-appliance to keep up with the "well to do average Joe/Jane" demands that the Macan is now especially bringing in, AND balancing being a 911-centric aspirational brand with one that sells a 4 cylinder compact SUV.

IMO, aside from a few models intended for pure speed, Porsche should pull out of the "power war" focus the main 911 populace around unadulterated, emotional purity and connection. They'll still be fast, they'll still have to have some tech gizmos, but they'll be focused on being *911's*. Oh, and make enough to where to get all that, you don't have to pay $200K (then watch U.S sales increase swiftly and immediately). Otherwise, might as well get an M5.

I'm an extreme Porsche fanboy, but it's the ENGINEERS who know all. Unfortunately, they're not the ones making decisions. Corporate? They certainly have managed a tight ship thus far, but after Dieselgate and shakeup after shakeup (oh, let's add that to their aforementioned trials and tribulations), along with certain trends in their product line, it makes perfect sense to be skeptical. Skeptical is good. Skeptical keeps them on their toes. Skeptical can spawn change, if change is necessary.

Last edited by K-A; 03-02-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I happen to think it made a great looking Ferrari. It's like the MkIII vs MkIV Supra styling debate. Either way, the 360 was offered with a stick, which automatically makes it cooler than its autotragic successors. Pun absolutely intended.

At Ferrari, the 430 had the last stick.

The thing about the 360/430 designs is that, unlike most other Ferrari body styles, they came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere. The 360 looked nothing like the F355, or like any other cars in their lineup. And you really have to strain your imagination to see much 430 blood in the 458. If they were as timeless as some say, they certainly didn't last.

My guess is that the 360's styling owed a lot to the transition to aluminum body components that occurred at the same time. That's probably why the 981s look a bit porky compared to the 987s, to drift back towards the topic.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
At Ferrari, the 430 had the last stick.
They did a some 430s with sticks, but the 360s were the last with a large number made that can be had relatively easily. They made a handful of 599s with a stick too, but they run for quite a bit.

360s rev higher than the 355 before or 430 after too.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
New artistic rendering.

I certainly hope they aren't planning a car with that much black plastic. It looks horribly cheap particularly on the rear bumper.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Well I’ve learned here that some of the Ferrari designs were a lot more polarizing than I realized. The history if the 911 has been a lot less so, while every person might have their favorites, I think we probably all generally like all the 911s. So Ferrari’s strategy of full redesign instead of incremental design changes is higher risk (buy maybe higher reward) than 911 evolution. With Panamera design influences though, does Porsche risk the 992 starting to be a more polarizing design now? Some will hate the robocop thing and some will love it I’m sure.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Well I’ve learned here that some of the Ferrari designs were a lot more polarizing than I realized. The history if the 911 has been a lot less so, while every person might have their favorites, I think we probably all generally like all the 911s. So Ferrari’s strategy of full redesign instead of incremental design changes is higher risk (buy maybe higher reward) than 911 evolution. With Panamera design influences though, does Porsche risk the 992 starting to be a more polarizing design now? Some will hate the robocop thing and some will love it I’m sure.
I'm going to undoubtedly catch flak for this:

I think, had Porsche not fcked themselves so badly with the headlights, and put a bit more effort into the front bumper, the 996 could have been the most beautiful 911 since the original pre 74. Such a lithe athletic shape, yet still curved and soft. No, I'm not talking about a woman.

Now let's avoid the complete travesty of an interior. That was inexcusable.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I'm going to undoubtedly catch flak for this:

I think, had Porsche not fcked themselves so badly with the headlights, and put a bit more effort into the front bumper, the 996 could have been the most beautiful 911 since the original pre 74. Such a lithe athletic shape, yet still curved and soft. No, I'm not talking about a woman.

Now let's avoid the complete travesty of an interior. That was inexcusable.
I never had a 996 Carrera, but I did have a 996TT (same interior, just leatherier) and a 986.2 Boxster S (same interior, 2 fewer gauges). I always loved that interior. Seriously. Both of mine were full leather (Natural Grey on the Turbo and Cocoa on the Box) so that makes a difference over the plasticy finish of the standard interiors. But I loved the organic sweeping curves of the dashboard. Like the interiors more than I did the exterior.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

I had a 986.2 Boxster S as well, mine was boring silver with standard black interior, and that car was a blast, definitely one of the best driving cars of all time. Low on horsepower but you could slide it around and have a great time, I didn’t hate the interior, it was super basic but good enough. I thought the outside was a lot better because it had the aero kit.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:51 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

I am convinced that that tiny **** is final for the 992, just like the new steering wheal, the Manettino dial, etc...

It won't have the +/- function either.

But you know what... it starts to look nice, futuristic and all...
Old 03-03-2018, 12:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

You people and your tiny *****...
Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin

But you know what... it starts to look nice, futuristic and all...
Hmmm, I am not ready for a 911 Jetsonian era.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Hmmm, I am not ready for a 911 Jetsonian era.
Oh I am, just like the turbo motors it’ll save me a bunch of money.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:27 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
So I ask again, when is Porsche going to understand that speed and power isn't what sells 911's? In the U.S, if anything, you can correlate a decline in sales when the focus is on pure power. My concern is that by the time they "understand" that, they'll be starting the process of shifting 911 allocations to the other side of the globe from us, because people won't be *inspired* to buy one anymore.
Not sure thats the case at all - I believe 911 deliveries at the end of 2017 were at an all time high.

Does power matter? not on its own. Thats the beauty of Porsche sports cars they are an integrated platform. How good? I drove in a sprint event on friday. (1) 991GT3RS (2) 997CUP (3)991 Series 2 S PKit, followed by multiple GT3s, a GT4, GTSs,Cayman Rs and Ss, then older 911s etc.

The point being, Porsche know how to deliver performance across a car. Integrated performance sells, particularly in a package that goes under the radar. Whether you use it or not is a matter of personal choice - I happen to use it.

Integrated performance and versatility - thats why the 992 will sell well.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE