Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The point of this thread is to make us 991.1 NA owners happy with our choice of car.
We can talk about the new, and soon to be, modular chassis. Folks like you and I take basic issue with the heart of the car....not what we want.
We can tweak the lights whichever way, come up with new interiors, argue over new colors, and bend the sheet metal ever so slightly, but this basic fact remains...
As I look forward to the new 992, I know I won't be buying. Others will and I'm happy for them.
Not sure Porsche wins long term but then again the company that it has become is no longer the company we knew. Blame regulations and SUV sales all you want....
I think we should wait and see what the driving dynamics are like before writing it off completely. Though the direction that Porsche is moving in worries me.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I think we should wait and see what the driving dynamics are like before writing it off completely. Though the direction that Porsche is moving in worries me.
Driving dynamics will be improved I'm sure.
But if I wanted a faster, quieter car I would have bought a Tesla with ludicrous mode. I know this topic has been beaten to death so I can say with confidence that I will never sell my .1GTS for a non-GT turbo offering, be it the 991.2 or 992.
Some will and I'm happy.
When I buy a car I buy an engine, first and foremost, others a total package.
I'm looking forward to the 992 more out of curiosity than anything else but curiosity won't be paying the bills in Stuttgart....
Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Driving dynamics will be improved I'm sure.
But if I wanted a faster, quieter car I would have bought a Tesla with ludicrous mode. I know this topic has been beaten to death so I can say with confidence that I will never sell my .1GTS for a non-GT turbo offering, be it the 991.2 or 992.
Some will and I'm happy.
When I buy a car I buy an engine, first and foremost, others a total package.
I'm looking forward to the 992 more out of curiosity than anything else but curiosity won't be paying the bills in Stuttgart....
Driving dynamics doesn't just refer to on paper stats. I've said this many times before. It also refers to all the intangibles that make a car enjoyable to drive. The whole package. That's what I'm unsure about; I know it'll be faster.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subshooter
I've been saying a similar thing on the GT3 forum. I don't understand Porsche's business model. If people want to pay for a 911R, GT3RS, GT2, have the money and walk into a dealership, they should be able to buy the car. What business owner would turn away business? Especially a $200k+ transaction? It's not about exclusivity or scarcity etc......I don't buy that argument. The price guarantees exclusivity and scarcity. So what if they build 4000 GT3s or 2000 GT3s....the thing is going to be sought after.
The Porsche business model is simple - the purchase price is set to what the market will bear. The other point to note is Porsche fully understands its market and builds to that market.

Moreover, its relatively easy to get a GT car if you want one. Simply put a deposit down a couple of years ahead of the release date. Anyone/everyone that is a repeat Porsche sports car buyer understands this. Porsche also understand their repeat sports car buyers do this and are encouraged to do this by sales reps. When a slot becomes available you get a call. If you want to finalise you pay a further deposit and thats it, job done.

As an example, I currently have deposits down on the 718GT4 and 992GT3.

There is a distinction between internet chatter and real buyers, again Porsche understand this.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ Go read the GT3 board. Not quite that easy.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
The Porsche business model is simple - the purchase price is set to what the market will bear. The other point to note is Porsche fully understands its market and builds to that market.

Moreover, its relatively easy to get a GT car if you want one. Simply put a deposit down a couple of years ahead of the release date. Anyone/everyone that is a repeat Porsche sports car buyer understands this. Porsche also understand their repeat sports car buyers do this and are encouraged to do this by sales reps. When a slot becomes available you get a call. If you want to finalise you pay a further deposit and thats it, job done.

As an example, I currently have deposits down on the 718GT4 and 992GT3.

There is a distinction between internet chatter and real buyers, again Porsche understand this.
that used to be the case. Not anymore.

I purchased 4 new Porsches including 2 GT cars from Porsche of the mainline over the past 9 years. Gave them a deposit 2.5 years ago for the .2 GT3, only to be told last month that they wouldn’t be able to get me a car.

So ive had to call >10 dealerships to find a customizable allocation and the lowest ADM I could find was 25K over.

Porsche is doing a terrible job supplying the demand of 991 GT customers, and driving many from the brand, forever.

Many cool cars out there from other brands from $150-200,000
Old 02-28-2018, 09:42 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ That may be the case in the US, its not the case over here fortunately (Australia - where a reasonably specced . GT3 costs $USD308k).

I feel your pain, thats not a good outcome. Over there, when you put a deposit down do you make a "formal offer to purchase" which the dealer then accepts as a contract and countersigns accordingly?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don’t know if this one was posted yet, next to a 718 spyder. I saw it on Instagram.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

^^^^ That may be the case in the US, its not the case over here fortunately (Australia).
nice that the system still works for you in Australia (and Canada).

However, it’s too bad exotic cars are so expensive in Australia. I think a GT3 costs as much as a Ferrari does to people in the US.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

^^^^ That may be the case in the US, its not the case over here fortunately (Australia - where a reasonably specced . GT3 costs $USD308k).

I feel your pain, thats not a good outcome. Over there, when you put a deposit down do you make a "formal offer to purchase" which the dealer then accepts as a contract and countersigns accordingly?
not a contract. At least at my old dealer. Others might be different
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccpecot

I don’t know if this one was posted yet, next to a 718 spyder. I saw it on Instagram.

Have not seen it. Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Geez, these are not good-looking cars.

It's as if they hired the guy behind Cadillac's "Stealth Fighter" design language from 20 years ago, but forgot to actually pay him.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Geez, these are not good-looking cars.

It's as if they hired the guy behind Cadillac's "Stealth Fighter" design language from 20 years ago, but forgot to actually pay him.
There could be some strategy going on there... imagine if the 997.1 came right after the 993, people would be like ugh how ugly... but instead it came after the 996 so people were like wow amazing looking car! Sometimes you have to throw a sacrificial ugly one in between to make the next one seem like an improvement. Same with the 430, Ferrari goes hey this 360 is way too pretty, nobody’s going to like this panel-gap madness 458 so we’ll make an ugly one with tailights sticking out and whatnot so the 458 looks ok in comparison.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Well,

I will more than likely be like I MUST HAVE THE NEW 911....

or I will go by a mid engine corvette
Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

There could be some strategy going on there... imagine if the 997.1 came right after the 993, people would be like ugh how ugly... but instead it came after the 996 so people were like wow amazing looking car! Sometimes you have to throw a sacrificial ugly one in between to make the next one seem like an improvement. Same with the 430, Ferrari goes hey this 360 is way too pretty, nobody’s going to like this panel-gap madness 458 so we’ll make an ugly one with tailights sticking out and whatnot so the 458 looks ok in comparison.
I seriously doubt anything like that is going on. Certainly it had nothing to do with the 996. The real problem with the 996 was it shared so many parts with the Boxster that coming at you on the road you could not tell them apart. Porsche has been so dominant for so long now people forget there ever was a time the continued existence of the company - not just the 911 but the whole company - was in question. Its just silly to think they ever would make something crappy just so the next one will look better. They sure didn't make SUV's just so their sports cars would look better. In fact a lot of us really worried about what that really meant. In hindsight it meant just what they said it did- smoothing out cash flows to allow more consistent development of the sports cars that are a less reliable market.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE