Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Technically the automotive industry isn't headed for big changes. The automotive industry is being railroaded into big changes. The distinction is everything.

Its engineering that made Porsche. We all love the thought of James Dean in the 550 but in reality Porsche has never been the rebel, with or without a cause. They go along to get along. With the regulators, I mean. And it shows just how bad we're losing that hardly anyone ever mentions this. It should be the first and last point of every fricken post- how sick and tired we all are of unelected and unaccountable people who know nothing about cars defining what cars must be. Instead we all get sucked right into it, even going so far as to parrot their crap like with VW. Whatever. Where was I? Oh yeah, Porsche embraces this regulatory spiraling into the abyss. Probably because they know, awesome engineers that they are, they will still make major bank by doing it better than anyone else. And just watch, even as some of us cry about turbo's and transmissions, a whole bunch more will ooh and ahh and open their wallets for E-whatever.

Don't believe me? Just look at LeMans. That once great race where everyone did everything they could to pull out all the stops to go as fast as possible, they now supinely acquiesce to fuel being metered out by the milliliter so that after passing a car they then go slower than they could until their mpg gets back down to where they can, you know, race again. They have turned LeMans from a race into a science project. We all jizz over Porsche winning just the same. I'm as guilty of this as any. I just try and keep the two things separate in my mind. And never miss a chance to drive home the injustice of it all. Because despite the odds I somehow can't help believing that if enough people could at least see the madness, then maybe the madness would end.

Or maybe the madness is what we want? Seems that way sometimes.

Well said Chuck. Glad you made it back to this board after a long break.

Instead of Porsche fighting for what they're known for, they roll over and play dead while coming up with some 2025 propaganda. They figure the Porsche marketing magic will get people to buy whatever they crank out as long as it has a Porsche badge. Well, count me out.

Anyway, back to 992 ...
Old 02-27-2018, 09:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

...unelected and unaccountable people who know nothing about logic, cars, thermodynamics, systems engineering, or, really, anything of substance defining what cars must be...
Fixed it for ya Chuck.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Hey, the Mission E Rennlist board is breaking records. Has a whole 3 pages of threads and lucky to get ONE post every few days

Demand and interest seem off the hook.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Technically the automotive industry isn't headed for big changes. The automotive industry is being railroaded into big changes. The distinction is everything.

Its engineering that made Porsche. We all love the thought of James Dean in the 550 but in reality Porsche has never been the rebel, with or without a cause. They go along to get along. With the regulators, I mean. And it shows just how bad we're losing that hardly anyone ever mentions this. It should be the first and last point of every fricken post- how sick and tired we all are of unelected and unaccountable people who know nothing about cars defining what cars must be. Instead we all get sucked right into it, even going so far as to parrot their crap like with VW. Whatever. Where was I? Oh yeah, Porsche embraces this regulatory spiraling into the abyss. Probably because they know, awesome engineers that they are, they will still make major bank by doing it better than anyone else. And just watch, even as some of us cry about turbo's and transmissions, a whole bunch more will ooh and ahh and open their wallets for E-whatever.

Don't believe me? Just look at LeMans. That once great race where everyone did everything they could to pull out all the stops to go as fast as possible, they now supinely acquiesce to fuel being metered out by the milliliter so that after passing a car they then go slower than they could until their mpg gets back down to where they can, you know, race again. They have turned LeMans from a race into a science project. We all jizz over Porsche winning just the same. I'm as guilty of this as any. I just try and keep the two things separate in my mind. And never miss a chance to drive home the injustice of it all. Because despite the odds I somehow can't help believing that if enough people could at least see the madness, then maybe the madness would end.

Sadly, all true. For a company like Porsche that built its legend on emotional, visceral, unfiltered sports cars; this is a travesty. The Porsche we know and love is dying. What remains to be seen is whether or not the 992 still drives like a 911 should, or if they've managed to smother its magic.

The 911R showed us one thing, more than anything else: When you shuck off the layers of sound deadening, screens, turbos, rubber bushings, and all the other superfluous crap, you get a joyous machine. A pure 911 that inspires you to just keep driving for the delight of it.

And then we get to Porsche's folly: They make these fantastic machines, but in hopelessly limited batches, and with the constant question as to whether they will be made again. The R is the living embodiment of Porsche, yet they've all been bubble wrapped out of rarity. Never to be enjoyed.

The fact is, EVERY 911 should be optionable as a GT3T, or an R, or a base Carrera, or a stripped out sub-base car with no speakers, A/C, screens, or sound deadening, a base engine, yet every bit a 911. This is what the 911 should be; a driver's car the way you want it. This is what will keep 911s on the bedroom walls of 12 year olds for another five decades, and when those children grow into successful people, they will fill there garages with Porsches. This is the continuation of the brand we love, yet they stray farther everyday.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Sadly, all true. For a company like Porsche that built its legend on emotional, visceral, unfiltered sports cars; this is a travesty. The Porsche we know and love is dying. What remains to be seen is whether or not the 992 still drives like a 911 should, or if they've managed to smother its magic.

The 911R showed us one thing, more than anything else: When you shuck off the layers of sound deadening, screens, turbos, rubber bushings, and all the other superfluous crap, you get a joyous machine. A pure 911 that inspires you to just keep driving for the delight of it.

And then we get to Porsche's folly: They make these fantastic machines, but in hopelessly limited batches, and with the constant question as to whether they will be made again. The R is the living embodiment of Porsche, yet they've all been bubble wrapped out of rarity. Never to be enjoyed.

The fact is, EVERY 911 should be optionable as a GT3T, or an R, or a base Carrera, or a stripped out sub-base car with no speakers, A/C, screens, or sound deadening, a base engine, yet every bit a 911. This is what the 911 should be; a driver's car the way you want it. This is what will keep 911s on the bedroom walls of 12 year olds for another five decades, and when those children grow into successful people, they will fill there garages with Porsches. This is the continuation of the brand we love, yet they stray farther everyday.
That and the fact that the MissionE makes none of hearts flutter is a big problem for the Company.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Argon_
The fact is, EVERY 911 should be optionable as a GT3T, or an R, or a base Carrera, or a stripped out sub-base car with no speakers, A/C, screens, or sound deadening, a base engine, yet every bit a 911. This is what the 911 should be; a driver's car the way you want it.
On this we can agree!

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
That and the fact that the MissionE makes none of hearts flutter is a big problem for the Company.
Especially true if it looks like a Panamera (as is rumored?) and nothing like the concept car.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I won't buy anything turbo, hybrid or electric so I'm doing my part to persuade Porsche to maintain a non-GT 911 offering. Yes I'm delusional, so be it...
Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I certainly feel the same way you do. I agree that regulations imposed by unelected and often incompetent officials are the reason for the change imposed on automotive industry. I do not think Porsche embraces it, they just are pushed to comply. I also do not think that it is us - the people who makes this change happening. Majority follows, not leads and make purchasing choices from what is offered. Without making it into a political discussion, I think we are into a new jungle, which is highly regulated society for "the sake of society". In this world of everything regulated - from emissions to races (F1 is another example) to market regulations businesses just struggle to survive.This is something no car company can solve. So, it seems yes, the madness is what we want.

Back to Porsche, like Bemo, I stick to NA/MT 911. And, unfortunately, I am very sure that with all the changes the industry will go through my 2015 GTS is my last 911 at least on this side of GT3 in it's current touring form.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because despite the odds I somehow can't help believing that if enough people could at least see the madness, then maybe the madness would end.

Totally agree - the madness will end because at the end of the day people are not supine. They may be pushed around a lot - but they ultimately crack.

Case in point, many years ago a British government tried to implement a "poll tax" - basically in addition to income tax, GST, rates etc you were going to be taxed as a house hold based on the number of people living at the property (not only double dipping but in effect taxing children etc).

The government tried hard to push this through - it literally brought people on to the streets - huge demonstrations - the result was the government backed down.

The drive to EVs - driverless cars etc may seem unstoppable now, or the trend towards Uber etc - but just wait until the government decides that you can't use your EVs on certain days to relieve congestion or it throws the switch sending selected autonomous cars to back to the pick up point simply because they can. At this point people will wake up.

The ability to control ones owns destiny is central to the great western humanist philosophy. The ability to move freely within your own sovereign nation is elemental to that belief structure. Any government that attempt to take that away by stealth or salami slicing legislation may well get a shock.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:00 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Bob Lutz had a great column in this month’s Road & Track, I skimmed it due to aadd but what I got out of it was that car manufacturers figure in 30 years cars will all be totally self driving, commoditized and boring, so their reaction is to try to make their cars as boring as possible right now whereas they have a legit decade or two at least to actually make something interesting if they want to before that’s the reality.

I would also like to point out while those incompetant EPA administrators pat each other on the backs for increasing average EPA ratings from x to y over the past few years and calculate how much “fossil fuel” they’ve “saved”, their useless test they’ve put together has encouraged manufacturers to optimize cars for their tests 47 mph average, resulting in a bunch of small turbo motored suvs that actually burn more fuel than the sedans people would probably buy otherwise if they realized how much more efficient they really were at the highway speeds they actually drive. Congratulations idiots, you’ve made everything worse instead!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Well this thread got depressing fast.... LOL
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, before this gets moved to P&C lets get back on track:

I hate that !@#ing cup holder. I really hope there's a 0$ option for 'sippy cup NEIN!' Actually, Porsche will probably price it at $499.95 which I would pay.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Cup holder may be an insert or option I think.

Same as smokers package.

I would think NEW pictures would come up somewhere soon?? These cars are still being tested somewhere. Hot or cold climates.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I would think NEW pictures would come up somewhere soon??
Hint hint.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 AM
STG
Race Director

So much for going back to a 6-speed!!

"The big news is the PDK transmission will evolve from a seven-speed unit to an eight-speed configuration. The extra cog will obviously help lower fuel consumption and emissions, but don't worry: the 911 will continue to offer a manual transmission for the purists."

https://drivemag.com/news/all-new-20...we-know-so-far

Last edited by STG; 02-28-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE