Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I find it absolutely hilarious that a company which has thrived for over half a century by holding onto tradition now suddenly wants to spit in the face of everything that made them successful.

While the automotive industry is certainly headed for big changes, this overwrought campaign of theirs will only ensure premature failure of the Porsche brand as they will find there is no reward for being first to kill the sports car.
Might as well call it an Audi at this point.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
TaaS removes the acquisition cost from the equation of transportation. If it comes to pass in a meaningful way, it will also, likely, change the nature of "automotive" engineering since companies that operate fleets will not put up with planned obsolescence or 150k-mile lifespans.
Which happens to be the very antithesis of the EV life cycle.

If you want a long service life, a big V8 making low HP is how you do it. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-700000-miles/

EVs live short, quickly declining lives that end with 1/3 of their original range. The battery is a massive fraction of total cost.

TaaS and EVs have conflicting characteristics.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
EVs live short, quickly declining lives that end with 1/3 of their original range. The battery is a massive fraction of total cost.
TaaS and EVs have conflicting characteristics.
Don't confuse the two issues: automated driving with increasing limitations on manual operation have little to do with electrification.

Further, your observations support my thesis that these two often intertwined, but distinct issues of automated driving and the push for banning ICEs will disrupt automotive engineering in the coming decades.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

With that level of business acumen, IBM would never have have replaced the 360 series. In fact if they hadn't reinvented themselves in the WWII era they would have died with their purpose-built census tabulators. Any company that isn't reinventing themselves every decade or two is dead, dying, or a zombie.
Exactly. You have to be willing to knife your own baby, because the competition won't hesitate to. Porsche's success is due largely to the lack of effective competition for their cars... but will that last another 50 years, though the upheaval that the industry is about to go through?

Apple is another company in that position. The iPod was their '911' for many years. It was an icon that defined the company in the eyes of their most important customers (read: the young, affluent ones). When they realized that smartphones were coming, they understood that the iPod had to die to make room for something better. They committed themselves to developing that product.

Porsche tried to do the same thing at one point, back in the 80s, and everybody yelled at them. Overcoming your own successes can be harder to do than overcoming your failures...

If it comes to pass in a meaningful way, it will also, likely, change the nature of "automotive" engineering since companies that operate fleets will not put up with planned obsolescence or 150k-mile lifespans.
Fleet managers would be as happy as a muddy pig in the sunshine if they didn't have to own depreciating assets.

So will most drivers.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that level of business acumen, IBM would never have have replaced the 360 series. In fact if they hadn't reinvented themselves in the WWII era they would have died with their purpose-built census tabulators.
So how did that work out when Porsche tried to make the 928 its flagship in place of the 911, pray tell me?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
So how did that work out when Porsche tried to make the 928 its flagship in place of the 911, pray tell me?
Peter Schutz set them straight.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:28 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So, back to the 992, when do folks reckon the 992 GT3 would come out? GT3 RS one year later?
I remember seeing an hypothetical calendar somewhere (maybe on this thread) but can't find it...
Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

TaaS is a buzzword for car companies that have no idea what transportation is going to look like in 20 years to throw around to pretend they’re reorganizing themselves for the future.

Low-down leasing or car loans are pretty much TaaS and don’t really make car drivership look any different than traditional ownership does. Nice try car companies.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvg
So, back to the 992, when do folks reckon the 992 GT3 would come out? GT3 RS one year later?
I remember seeing an hypothetical calendar somewhere (maybe on this thread) but can't find it...
Post 886 on this thread: No mention of GT3 - that is speculation which we could take a good guess on based on past experience. Source article: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

• October 2018: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S coupés revealed, with first customer deliveries February 2019.

• January 2019: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S cabriolet unveiled, with cars, cars in dealers from April.

• April 2019: Entry-level Carrera 2/4 in coupé and convertible form launched, with sales starting July.

• September 2019: 911 turbo coupé and Carrera 2/4 GTS unveiled, and will be on sale from February 2020.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvg
GT3 like 2 years after first Carrera 992 released.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Post 886 on this thread: No mention of GT3 - that is speculation which we could take a good guess on based on past experience. Source article: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

• October 2018: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S coupés revealed, with first customer deliveries February 2019.

• January 2019: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S cabriolet unveiled, with cars, cars in dealers from April.

• April 2019: Entry-level Carrera 2/4 in coupé and convertible form launched, with sales starting July.

• September 2019: 911 turbo coupé and Carrera 2/4 GTS unveiled, and will be on sale from February 2020.
So if you compare that to the 991 rollout.

2019.5 Carrera
2021 GT3
2022 GT3RS

That's if we aren't all traveling by electric, autonomous, 3rd Party owned George Jetson vehicles by then.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Said it once, I'll say it again .... I think they seem to be moving ALOT quicker than market demand. Throw a big downturn in the economy or a global recession, throw all this nonsense off the table and companies like Porsche will be screwed and left sitting in a sinking ship.

Also ..... the segments they're competing in with the other models and diluted sports cars are ALOT more competitive and they are quickly pricing themselves out of the market. Once again, an economic correction is inevitable and they will be the first to get stung.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I find it absolutely hilarious that a company which has thrived for over half a century by holding onto tradition now suddenly wants to spit in the face of everything that made them successful.

While the automotive industry is certainly headed for big changes, this overwrought campaign of theirs will only ensure premature failure of the Porsche brand as they will find there is no reward for being first to kill the sports car.
Technically the automotive industry isn't headed for big changes. The automotive industry is being railroaded into big changes. The distinction is everything.

Its engineering that made Porsche. We all love the thought of James Dean in the 550 but in reality Porsche has never been the rebel, with or without a cause. They go along to get along. With the regulators, I mean. And it shows just how bad we're losing that hardly anyone ever mentions this. It should be the first and last point of every fricken post- how sick and tired we all are of unelected and unaccountable people who know nothing about cars defining what cars must be. Instead we all get sucked right into it, even going so far as to parrot their crap like with VW. Whatever. Where was I? Oh yeah, Porsche embraces this regulatory spiraling into the abyss. Probably because they know, awesome engineers that they are, they will still make major bank by doing it better than anyone else. And just watch, even as some of us cry about turbo's and transmissions, a whole bunch more will ooh and ahh and open their wallets for E-whatever.

Don't believe me? Just look at LeMans. That once great race where everyone did everything they could to pull out all the stops to go as fast as possible, they now supinely acquiesce to fuel being metered out by the milliliter so that after passing a car they then go slower than they could until their mpg gets back down to where they can, you know, race again. They have turned LeMans from a race into a science project. We all jizz over Porsche winning just the same. I'm as guilty of this as any. I just try and keep the two things separate in my mind. And never miss a chance to drive home the injustice of it all. Because despite the odds I somehow can't help believing that if enough people could at least see the madness, then maybe the madness would end.

Or maybe the madness is what we want? Seems that way sometimes.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:41 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
So if you compare that to the 991 rollout.

2019.5 Carrera
2021 GT3
2022 GT3RS

That's if we aren't all traveling by electric, autonomous, 3rd Party owned George Jetson vehicles by then.
If the Carrera comes out in January of 2019 it would be a 2020; as long as the first one doesn't hit US soil till Jan 1, 2019, they can name them 2020s, and usually do.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Technically the automotive industry isn't headed for big changes. The automotive industry is being railroaded into big changes. The distinction is everything.

Its engineering that made Porsche. We all love the thought of James Dean in the 550 but in reality Porsche has never been the rebel, with or without a cause. They go along to get along. With the regulators, I mean. And it shows just how bad we're losing that hardly anyone ever mentions this. It should be the first and last point of every fricken post- how sick and tired we all are of unelected and unaccountable people who know nothing about cars defining what cars must be. Instead we all get sucked right into it, even going so far as to parrot their crap like with VW. Whatever. Where was I? Oh yeah, Porsche embraces this regulatory spiraling into the abyss. Probably because they know, awesome engineers that they are, they will still make major bank by doing it better than anyone else. And just watch, even as some of us cry about turbo's and transmissions, a whole bunch more will ooh and ahh and open their wallets for E-whatever.

Don't believe me? Just look at LeMans. That once great race where everyone did everything they could to pull out all the stops to go as fast as possible, they now supinely acquiesce to fuel being metered out by the milliliter so that after passing a car they then go slower than they could until their mpg gets back down to where they can, you know, race again. They have turned LeMans from a race into a science project. We all jizz over Porsche winning just the same. I'm as guilty of this as any. I just try and keep the two things separate in my mind. And never miss a chance to drive home the injustice of it all. Because despite the odds I somehow can't help believing that if enough people could at least see the madness, then maybe the madness would end.

Or maybe the madness is what we want? Seems that way sometimes.

I agree with everything you are saying. While Porsche and others are now laughingly being referred to as " technology companies " over being a car company the simple truth is that they exist by manufacturing and selling vehicles to people who want them. They make billions of dollars in the process and have a fair bit of political influence for that very reason. If the consumer would simply stop drinking the B.S. technology koolaid being poured down their throats then they would stop purchasing these cars forcing the manufactures to look for reasons why . If that reason was found to be the railroading of the industry due to over and unfair regulation you can bet anything that the manufactures would lean onto the governmental powers that be to repeal them.

It all rests in our hands , all we need to do is stop tolerating it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE