Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yes, many will think I’m nuts, but I actually support a hybrid 911 IF Porsche could solve the weight issues, IF it meant replacing turbos with an electric motor to provide the additional boost. Think about it; You’d get the pure unadulterated natural N/A sound, and the “FI” boost, except with no lag and even more down low torque, and better MPG. Literally a best of all worlds. IF Porsche can solve some of the hybrid setbacks.

Think about the 918 Spyder vs P1 as an example. The 918 has less HP, but due to the immediate-delayless-spoolless immense torque, is faster. AND it sounds WAY better as ditching turbos for electric motors allowed them to keep a higher displacement engine running higher compression.
True. But only for an automatic.

A hybrid is illogical when paired with a manual transmission, which is why I'd always rather have turbos if the choice is either or.

A manual is simply essential to the driving experience for me. To remove it would sever so much of the connection I value profoundly.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Everything I have seen makes it seem like the 992 is merely an evolution of the 991. Much like the 996 to 997. Sure, the body changed a little (headlights/styling) and it got a new interior (mostly), but underneeth it was basically the same car. The same appears to be true here. Maybe some small changes (8 gears on PDK? Certainly a few more HP), but it will be the same car mechanically and structurally. Otherwise, it would be much different.

Given the intial rumors around a hybrid 991 and the fact that the platform looks similar, I could see Porsche building a hybrid 992 sooner rather than later. Especially given the push on the cayenne/panny hybrids.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
True. But only for an automatic.

A hybrid is illogical when paired with a manual transmission, which is why I'd always rather have turbos if the choice is either or.

A manual is simply essential to the driving experience for me. To remove it would sever so much of the connection I value profoundly.
Ford has developed awesome tech that uses an electric motor to spool the turbos. = No lag and minimal batter[weight] needed.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Ford has developed awesome tech that uses an electric motor to spool the turbos. = No lag and minimal battery [weight] needed.
I'd be willing to try it, so long as a third pedal is available.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:47 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Argon_
I'd be willing to try it, so long as a third pedal is available.
It is. Essentially you get the power benefits of a turbo with the throttle response of a much larger naturally aspirated engine. The turbo is spooled with electricity and not recirculated exhaust so the there is really almost no lag. Lag to turn the pinwheel, but that is nothing compared to even the Porsche 3.0TT which is already really good. Think of it like when HD television came out and it was so amazing, then 4K and we thought it was like watching real life, then 8K and QLED.... Yes #2 cars drive relatively lagless.... but they have lag. This would remove 90% of that. The remaining 10% would be hard without a Hybrid engine moving the wheels too.

I also think music is a trend that is being modeled by cars.... Think: 8 track > Cassette > CD > Streaming. The first 3 iteration became more convenient but also had increased sound quality and had what purists wanted at the forefront; sound quality. Streaming music sacrifices sound quality in exchange for convenience and trickery. Streaming is the #2 991 at the moment. Much more user friendly with more of everything but a little less pure with more trickery. The 992 will surely be another step in this direction.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

^^^ but can you unsee those amber corners? WHY Porsche! They even got the wheel fitment, suspension height absolutely perfect.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

^^^ but can you unsee those amber corners? WHY Porsche! They even got the wheel fitment, suspension height absolutely perfect.

That crazy U.S. market...why???? WHY????
Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Ford has developed awesome tech that uses an electric motor to spool the turbos. = No lag and minimal batter[weight] needed.
I’m actually talking about NO turbos, but an electric motor in place of the turbos. A’la 918 Spyder or LaFerrari. Get to keep the N/A sound, larger displacement motor, higher compression, yet with a nearly instantaneous electric boost that comes on at idle. Best of all worlds IMO. Also more efficient than purely turbo.

Imo turbo AND hybrid is too convoluted, too much complexity, don’t get sound benefits, heavy, etc. The P1 is awesome, but its boost on top of boost development has been outshined by far simpler powertrains, and it’s the worst sounding of the hypercar trio.

I’m actually not opposed to a hybrid 911 IF they use it with an N/A motor. Otherwise forget it as two power adders on top of each other will obliterate any semblance of purity and raw engagement.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I’m actually talking about NO turbos, but an electric motor in place of the turbos.... Also more efficient than purely turbo.
I guess that could be true, but I thought one of the big fuel-economy gains from a turbo came from it's use of wasted heat energy that is otherwise just flushed away down the exhaust. An electrically driven turbo (wouldn't that be a supercharger?) would have to get its energy from somewhere. Maybe the efficiency for them would come from recaptured braking energy like the hybrids though. Still, the heat energy would be lost at that point. Dunno...
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I guess that could be true, but I thought one of the big fuel-economy gains from a turbo came from it's use of wasted heat energy that is otherwise just flushed away down the exhaust. An electrically driven turbo (wouldn't that be a supercharger?) would have to get its energy from somewhere. Maybe the efficiency for them would come from recaptured braking energy like the hybrids though. Still, the heat energy would be lost at that point. Dunno...
Yeah that’s (hybrid) basically what I mean. A hybrid 911 instead of a turbo 911 (Carrera). They could use mini batteries like they did the 918, which would provide the “boost” (instead of turbos). N/A guys get their naturally aspirated engine and sound. F/I guys get their torque. Everybody wins(?) As long as Porsche can work around inherent hybrid issues.

Didn’t consider what Argon said about manual though. But wasn’t really aware that hybrid powertrains aren’t seamless with manuals? I definitely agree the 911 needs to retain manual transmissions.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Doubt they'd scrap a new engine after just a few years. Seems more likely course is to use hybrid tech to supplement the turbo motor as a way to increase overall hp, reduce lag at lower rpm, maybe even to use electric motor to power front wheels for the 4 - similar to Volvo T8 awd system.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah that’s (hybrid) basically what I mean. A hybrid 911 instead of a turbo 911 (Carrera). They could use mini batteries like they did the 918, which would provide the “boost” (instead of turbos). N/A guys get their naturally aspirated engine and sound. F/I guys get their torque. Everybody wins(?) As long as Porsche can work around inherent hybrid issues.

Didn’t consider what Argon said about manual though. But wasn’t really aware that hybrid powertrains aren’t seamless with manuals? I definitely agree the 911 needs to retain manual transmissions.
I think R_Rated was talking about a Compressor-Motor-Turbine system on a common shaft, not an electric supercharger. Thus you get a spooling boost from the electric motor to help bring it up to speed. This means that if you planted your foot at 1500 RPM you'd get full boost immediately, instead of having to rev up, build boost, and then get full pressure.

I'd be all in favor of this system, as you'd get a simple, MT compatible system that would give the fuel economy of turbos without the lag.

As for the sound, just offer a factory 'RS sound deadening package' to almost completely negate it.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Interesting comments from PCNA CEO Klaus Zellmer.

"More change in the auto industry in the next 5 years than it has in the last 50".

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE