Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
As an enthusiast, Walliser's words mean a lot more to me, as he represents the artists of the brand (engineers). Blume is the CEO. He'll speak whatever marketing jargon (carried out by communications employees) to ensure everything newer is better, no questions. He also says Porsche's future is electrified. Yes, it's the truth, but he's certainly not speaking for enthusiasts of visceral behavior and driving dynamics.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18572/p...long-as-we-can
Blume is the CEO and thats the end of it. Walliser was also hung out to dry - he does not speak for the company, he may have a personal opinion which is at odds with the company (he needs to think about what that means, particularly given the widely reported poor showing of the half cooked RSR)

I guess I'm not an enthusiast and don't like how that term is used in general - but I am a repeat buyer of Porsche sports cars (and other higher end cars) and my vehicles see all sorts of genuine competition on a twice monthly basis.

However, I wont be a repeat buyer if they don't make cars that don't provide an exhilarating driving experience which means integrated handling, braking and acceleration. Its that simple.

I don't deign to tell others what an enthusiast is or isn't, I don't deign to tell others what they should or shouldn't like in a sports car. However, I am more than happy to say I like the direction Porsche is going in and applaud them for it. As most of us know their cars keep on getting better but at the end of the day there are limits to certain types of technology and what the technology can deliver.

No one can change that.

Which bring us back to the 992.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo

SAAB first introduced the 2.0T B202 Inline 4 in 1984. It produced 175hp. It would later also be the first balance shafted turbo 4. They did it for the fuel economy, emissions, weight savings and power. Sound Familiar?? SAAB may be dead, but their Swedish legacy definitely lives on. It’s not like the world went Ferrari V12 or Porsche Flat-6 (as awesome as those engines are), they went SAAB. 34 years ahead of their time. Truly impressive.
Saab introduced the predecessor 2.0 Turbo in 1981 - I had an '82 Saab 900 Turbo with a whopping 135 HP. Wow, times have changed! (At least in power output LOL!)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Saab introduced the predecessor 2.0 Turbo in 1981 - I had an '82 Saab 900 Turbo with a whopping 135 HP. Wow, times have changed! (At least in power output LOL!)
I stand corrected. Thank you! SAAB was 37 years ahead of their time.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo

I stand corrected. Thank you! SAAB was 37 years ahead of their time.
I loved that car. Drove it for 12 years, 160k miles until my mechanic told me that I needed to get another car...

135 hp from 2.0 = 67.5 hp/liter
My incoming GTS... 450 hp from 3.0 = 150 hp/liter

WOW.

Oh and the rotors on my incoming GTS are larger than the wheels were on that '82 Saab 900 Turbo!

(Assuming I didn't dork up the basic math there hahaha!)

Sorry for the hijack...the Saab reference got me getting all nostalgic there for a second.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I was never a big SAAB fan, but I wish someone kept them alive. We could use all the oddball/quirky cars we can get in this homogenized day and age. And SAAB was definitely “off kilter” in many ways.

Thought their last cars were too “GMblandized,” the last 9-5 was a cool sedan that probably can be had for a pretty decent price now. Unless there are enough SAAB enthusiats who will prop the price up.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I was never a big SAAB fan, but I wish someone kept them alive. We could use all the oddball/quirky cars we can get in this homogenized day and age. And SAAB was definitely “off kilter” in many ways.

Thought their last cars were too “GMblandized,” the last 9-5 was a cool sedan that probably can be had for a pretty decent price now. Unless there are enough SAAB enthusiats who will prop the price up.
Yeah, the old torpedo Saabs had a longitudinal engine mounted ABOVE a transaxle, driving FWD. Talk about wacky.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by K-A

I absolutely agree with the "GMblandized" comment.

In the 80s, they were so unique. Front wheel drive, turbocharged, very safe cars, good fuel economy for the day, innovative in many ways, and very roomy and comfortable inside - ton of room under the hatch and with the seats down. Ignition in the floor (quirky) but also had heated seats pretty early compared to other manufacturers. Dash layout had great ergonomics, driver focused. All the controls and buttons were designed to be used with cold weather gloves on (how Swedish!). Fishbowl windshield that dated back to '78. Turbos prone to fail, transmission/clutch not great, long term reliability wasn't great, though.

I always wished they had the money back then to make this a reality:

Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But recently GM and BMW have had a performance car role reversal.

The 1LE pack Camaro dethroned the M4.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
The turbo lag on those early/mid 80s SAABs was EPIC - IIRC...such cheap thrills
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
The turbo lag on those early/mid 80s SAABs was EPIC - IIRC...such cheap thrills
Good heavens that was true!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_

Would prefer a Mustang GT over an M4...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_

Yes, they've certainly become competitive with interesting cars. Haven't heard much good news on quality though.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Hard to believe I'm saying this on a 911 board (how times have changed), but Chevy showing that a "rudimentary" (read: characterful) naturally aspirated sedan-based coupe can show its fair share of true sports cars how its done (and I'm not just talking about "stat performance"), is something to behold. I can't say I got beef with the Camaro anymore (as I did back in the day, minus the glorious pre-80's iterations). It's an enticing package.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,729 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Hard to believe I'm saying this on a 911 board (how times have changed), but Chevy showing that a "rudimentary" (read: characterful) naturally aspirated sedan-based coupe can show its fair share of true sports cars how its done (and I'm not just talking about "stat performance"), is something to behold. I can't say I got beef with the Camaro anymore (as I did back in the day, minus the glorious pre-80's iterations). It's an enticing package.
The thing holding back the Camaro is its weight
Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

The thing holding back the Camaro is its weight
Repugnant sightlines and interior quality, too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE