STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
EVERYTHING comes with a 2.0T now. Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, Caddy....
So bland. Honestly, and this has been a long time coming since I originally bought M-B's and BMW's, but M-B and BMW don't really have much to offer over appliance grade cars anymore. Nor are they even more exclusive in many areas. I have a Mazda 3 that costs $215 a month and is more fun to take through turns than a base 3 Series, and has an interior not too far off in quality. Exterior of some of these appliance grade cars have caught up to the volume German cars (interior so much, when you get into the upper range models). M-B appears to have given up on their sedans, as the C/E/S look identical. The new E is a bar of soap, absolutely nothing special or interesting looking about it. It's a brand new car which not only wears such a common design language (we've been seeing that design for 5 years now, and it's everywhere thanks to the C Class), but wears a common design. They've gone so far into homogeny that "design language" is giving them too much credit. It's literally a differently scaled version of the same design.

BMW is right there too, with the new 5. That thing somehow looks less elegant and expensive than the model it replaced. It somehow looks a ton more like the F30 3 Series that debuted in freaking 2011 than the old 5 Series which debuted in 2010.

That's why for me, it's so important that Porsche maintain their hierarchy as the one remaining "special" and exclusive German brand. Their sales numbers are still extremely boutique compared to the big players. But they're at that "BMW in the 90's" moment where they have a decision to make: Remain the brand that made them rich (highest profits and margins in the business by a MASSIVE amount, at least before the Macan came out) and famous, or sell out and become bloated, greedy volume chasers like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Argon_
If the 991 were five percent smaller in every dimension, I'd agree. They did a hell of a job on the styling though.

As for the 996, I'm warming more and more to the idea of refitting one to be an ideal 'analog car.' Gutting the interior, A/C, sound system, power steering, and having a lightweight tossable 911.
I co-sign that idea. 996 is a bargain and the only older 911 that hasn't appreciated in value. Would be extremely fun as a "toy," and they're so "cheap" that you can really make a fun project car out of it. I believe 996's will eventually start to appreciate like every other older 911. First it was the water cooled novelty and experience, which will now push into the N/A novelty and experience. Yet like you said, the 996 being oldest, naturally is the rawest of the water cooled cars. Which will bode well for it.

Originally Posted by Zeus
I absolutely HATE the tail light design. Looks ok on the Panamera. Imagine the work that would have to be done to wrap the car with that lettering...

Looks like tail light design peaked with the 991.1
I truly love the 991.1 taillights. IMO the best in the lineage as well. Clean, flush, symmetrical, simple, lends a language of leanness and precision.

Originally Posted by phow
As of today, the 991 is definitely the best looking water cooled 911 in my mind. But the current 911 is really more of a GT car compared to the previous generations. IMO, the air cooled 911's are and always will be the real 911's and therefore the best looking 911's. I'm actively shopping for a G50 and the feeling and connection these cars give you compared to the current generation is really unmatched.

For me the modern Carrera's are all about usability. They are essentially a fun modern day sports car that you can daily drive without feeling like a computer is doing all of the work for you. That is why I'm looking forward to the 992. The 991.2 was not much of an upgrade in my eyes but my 991.1 is definitely starting to show it's age in some areas. So I'm looking forward to the 992 to become the new daily and my upcoming 991 GT3 (and hopefully a G50) will be the weekend toys.
Agreed. Air cooled will always be the realest deal, and the ones which every 911 are judged against. They're the kings. I saw one driving past me the other day and it was like watching magic, royalty, the image of my dreams and aspirations as a kid. I even forgot that *I* was in a 911, in the presence of that thing, because it *IS* the 911. The mere fact that I was driving a car that shared the same name as it made me feel even better about my OWN car. That's how much I like the air cooled 911's. It's an experience. And like I said before, the only car I ever like more than mine, when mine is next to it, is an air cooled 911.

BTW, how many miles does your .1 have?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
So bland. Honestly, and this has been a long time coming since I originally bought M-B's and BMW's, but M-B and BMW don't really have much to offer over appliance grade cars anymore. Nor are they even more exclusive in many areas. I have a Mazda 3 that costs $215 a month and is more fun to take through turns than a base 3 Series, and has an interior not too far off in quality. Exterior of some of these appliance grade cars have caught up to the volume German cars (interior so much, when you get into the upper range models). M-B appears to have given up on their sedans, as the C/E/S look identical. The new E is a bar of soap, absolutely nothing special or interesting looking about it. It's a brand new car which not only wears such a common design language (we've been seeing that design for 5 years now, and it's everywhere thanks to the C Class), but wears a common design. They've gone so far into homogeny that "design language" is giving them too much credit. It's literally a differently scaled version of the same design.

BMW is right there too, with the new 5. That thing somehow looks less elegant and expensive than the model it replaced. It somehow looks a ton more like the F30 3 Series that debuted in freaking 2011 than the old 5 Series which debuted in 2010.

That's why for me, it's so important that Porsche maintain their hierarchy as the one remaining "special" and exclusive German brand. Their sales numbers are still extremely boutique compared to the big players. But they're at that "BMW in the 90's" moment where they have a decision to make: Remain the brand that made them rich (highest profits and margins in the business by a MASSIVE amount, at least before the Macan came out) and famous, or sell out and become bloated, greedy volume chasers like everyone else.
Mercedes has crossed the line into nothing special territory, you have to go into AMG products to get anything distinctive. BMW has become a German version of Lexus. Except for Porsche, I may be cured of expensive German cars. (We have two VWs in the fleet and they are terrific).
Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

991.1 not to mention the MUCH better looking rear grill covering and did I mention the sound?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

I co-sign that idea. 996 is a bargain and the only older 911 that hasn't appreciated in value. Would be extremely fun as a "toy," and they're so "cheap" that you can really make a fun project car out of it. I believe 996's will eventually start to appreciate like every other older 911. First it was the water cooled novelty and experience, which will now push into the N/A novelty and experience. Yet like you said, the 996 being oldest, naturally is the rawest of the water cooled cars. Which will bode well for it.
Porsche is for sure at a crossroads, and much evidence points toward them catching a bad case of BMWitis.

As for the 996 toy, the idea is gaining more traction with every successive Macan I see.

Originally Posted by K-A
Agreed. Air cooled will always be the realest deal, and the ones which every 911 are judged against. They're the kings. I saw one driving past me the other day and it was like watching magic, royalty, the image of my dreams and aspirations as a kid. I even forgot that *I* was in a 911, in the presence of that thing, because it *IS* the 911. The mere fact that I was driving a car that shared the same name as it made me feel even better about my OWN car. That's how much I like the air cooled 911's. It's an experience. And like I said before, the only car I ever like more than mine, when mine is next to it, is an air cooled 911.
Before anything else, I was a BMW guy. Fond memories of being flung about in the back seat of an early E46 M3. It was the car of my best friend's mother, and it was golden age BMW through and through.

That BMW is dead.

It's last spasm of life was the E90 3 series; the last base model car with sport baked into the chassis.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 PM
STG
Race Director

PORSCHE is getting bigger and chasing volume. No doubt about that. In 10-15yrs yrs the company will not be recognizable to what it is today.

Big dealership investments and big investments in electric means they will be spinning the electric marketing hype like nothing you've ever seen with more mainstream models on the way.

With statements by them with their aggressive plans for electric and hybrid, the golden age of Porsche carbon spewing high rev ripping sounds are going to be history unless you keep these cars in your garage.

I think there will be more niche boutique car companies that will cater to enthusiasts down the line. Made to order, etc ..
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

The No. 1 goal for any car company in existence is to stay in existence. Not to cater to niche enthusiasts.

It's the reason why Ferrari will be making a SUV, as will Roll-Royce. And the reason for the introduction of the Urus.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Porsche is for sure at a crossroads, and much evidence points toward them catching a bad case of BMWitis.

As for the 996 toy, the idea is gaining more traction with every successive Macan I see.

Before anything else, I was a BMW guy. Fond memories of being flung about in the back seat of an early E46 M3. It was the car of my best friend's mother, and it was golden age BMW through and through.

That BMW is dead.

It's last spasm of life was the E90 3 series; the last base model car with sport baked into the chassis.
^^^Truth and why I still cling onto my 8yr old E90. Great chassis, awesome engine, hydraulic steering rack and a performance exhaust...

Originally Posted by STG
PORSCHE is getting bigger and chasing volume. No doubt about that. In 10-15yrs yrs the company will not be recognizable to what it is today.

Big dealership investments and big investments in electric means they will be spinning the electric marketing hype like nothing you've ever seen with more mainstream models on the way.

With statements by them with their aggressive plans for electric and hybrid, the golden age of Porsche carbon spewing high rev ripping sounds are going to be history unless you keep these cars in your garage.

I think there will be more niche boutique car companies that will cater to enthusiasts down the line. Made to order, etc ..
STG's depressing summary is likely very accurate. Sigh.

To stay on topic, I'm not a fan of the 992 looks or power plant, mostly the latter.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Yup. Back on track. 992 SPY SHOTS. Porsche, send some eye candy out to counter the shock here.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The No. 1 goal for any car company in existence is to stay in existence. Not to cater to niche enthusiasts.
It's the reason why Ferrari will be making a SUV, as will Roll-Royce. And the reason for the introduction of the Urus.
So go with mass market models. But keep one for niche enthusiasts. Make it the way they want. Make it 2x more expensive. Current GT3T demand proves this is one of the options to seriously consider.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And the reason for the introduction of the Urus.

Bad name. All I see is ANUS.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Bad name. All I see is ANUS.
Pretty bad name, but not as bad as “Camino” which was marketted to Mexico but means “I walk” in Spanish.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

agree with several of the latest posts. MB and BMW are nothing special anymore and not worth the money, as BMW/MB are now mostly just appliance cars. Agree that a Mazda 3 or Miata could be more fun to drive.

Really hope Porsche doesn’t go too far in that direction of MB/BMW, but they are starting to lean that way.

the .2 GT3 I have coming this fall may be the last new Porsche I ever buy. It’s raw visceral excitement and worth the Porsche premium.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the direction Porsche are going - the performance levels are increasing along with the driving dynamics (e.g. grip and handling, braking and acceleration all measurably better).

This thread is about the future not the past. . Lets keep it on topic.

The 992 is turbocharged and thats the way it is, the 992 GT3 will be as well - great outcome from my perspective.

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-21-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
I like the direction Porsche are going - the performance levels are increasing along with the driving dynamics (e.g. grip and handling, braking and acceleration all measurably better).

This thread is about the future not the past.
So all you care about is the spec sheet?

Claiming that some performance figures in the back of a magazine represent driving dynamics is completely asinine.

a 2.0 turbo 330i will spank an E30 318i, but to claim that it has superior driving dynamics is ridiculous. You buy a new BMW to commute, you buy an E30 to enjoy.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE