Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
PDK GT4. I wish we had a puking emoji for that.
I would buy one, if it came with PDK!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A pic from the summer with almost no camo.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it, just hope the very front clip doesn't look like that. That looks like a C4/C4S model.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A pic from the summer with almost no camo.
Looking good...
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

What I don't understand is what Porsche's problem is with exterior door handles.... They switched from the iconic handle / latch of the 901-993 to the Toyota-esque conventional handles in the 996 and were deservedly criticized for that. They go back to better looking handle for the 997, improve it with the 991.1 and finally it's again perfected in the 991.2. In comes the 992 with those cheap looking handles again.... I don't get it....
Old 02-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Nino
I like it, just hope the very front clip doesn't look like that. That looks like a C4/C4S model.
Could be the bodywork, but not the driveline. The front and rear clearly have a different rolling diameter.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm curious why you think that's a flawed strategy.
Basically, I think the first automakers to abandon the obsolete "world car" strategy will do well at the expense of the laggards. Regulatory regimes around the world are simply too different nowadays. It makes no sense to insist on building and selling the same product into every market, and with modern JIT practices it's also less necessary than ever.

Watch what happens in the US over the next few years, for instance, relative to what happens in the EU and Asian markets. 'Divergence' will be the understatement of the decade.

And God help them if there's an economic downturn in the Far East, once they've committed themselves to building cars that no one else wants to buy.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
B.And God help them if there's an economic downturn in the Far East, once they've committed themselves to building cars that no one else wants to buy.
In 2017 Porsche sold more vehicles than ever before (YOY). If there's an economic down turn in SE Asia it will have global impact - it wont be regional (In USD terms the GDP of China is over $12 trillion and growing at 7% PA).

I'm a happy Porsche customer and I respect the fact they strive to improve their product offerings with every change of series/model. If they didn't they'd end up in a mess. Despite all the noise and rhetoric, internet enthusiasts don't actually buy much product. Think of it this way everyone loves and respects Lotus - however hardly anyone buys them. Likewise, those that really like "visceral" will probably have a "historic" tucked away. Try a 996GT3 on for size.

In contrast, I'll happily buy a GT4 so long as it is a competitive car and that means 450HP (with head room) and PDK. I'll also buy a 992GT3 because that will be an improvement on the current generation and will have torque to burn (and subject to Porsche working with tire manufacturers to offer a better range of tires for track work) . Both will be great drivers cars, why? because thats what Porsche do well

The reality check is important
In 2012, Porsche sold around 13,000 Boxster/Cayman, 28,000 911s and 0 Macans . the grand total of all product was ~152,000 deliveries
In 2017, Porsche sold around 25,000 Boxster/Cayman, 32,000 911s and 97,000 Macans - the grand total of all product was ~ 246,000 deliveries

Evolution, innovation and new products drive success - stasis drives failure.

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-14-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by RRDnA
In 2017 Porsche sold more vehicles than ever before (YOY). If there's an economic down turn in SE Asia it will have global impact - it wont be regional (In USD terms the GDP of China is over $12 trillion and growing at 7% PA).

I'm a happy Porsche customer and I respect the fact they strive to improve their product offerings with every change of series/model. If they didn't they'd end up in a mess. Despite all the noise and rhetoric, internet enthusiasts don't actually buy much product. Think of it this way everyone loves and respects Lotus - however hardly anyone buys them. Likewise, those that really like "visceral" will probably have a "historic" tucked away. Try a 996GT3 on for size.

In contrast, I'll happily buy a GT4 so long as it is a competitive car and that means 450HP (with head room) and PDK. I'll also buy a 992GT3 because that will be an improvement on the current generation and will have torque to burn (and subject to Porsche working with tire manufacturers to offer a better range of tires for track work) . Both will be great drivers cars, why? because thats what Porsche do well
Competitive. Meaning faster than other comparable streetcars. You make no mention of it being visceral.

The thing is, building a fast car is fairly simple in the age of computers. Building one that is an absolute joy to drive is not so trivial.

I'd rather have fifty horsepower less, a stick, oh and forget tucking it away, I'd drive it every day.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah I’m always bewildered when people are like wow that’s got to be a true drivers car! XY horsepowers ZX torques N.M s 1/4 mile lap times whatever! It can sit in my garage while I brag about it! I’m like wow you have no idea what a driver’s car is.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yeah I’m always bewildered when people are like wow that’s got to be a true drivers car! XY horsepowers ZX torques N.M s 1/4 mile lap times whatever! It can sit in my garage while I brag about it! I’m like wow you have no idea what a driver’s car is.
Competitive. Meaning faster than other comparable streetcars. You make no mention of it being visceral.

The thing is, building a fast car is fairly simple in the age of computers. Building one that is an absolute joy to drive is not so trivial.

I'd rather have fifty horsepower less, a stick, oh and forget tucking it away, I'd drive it every day.
Exactly.

And 911 sales being propped up because of the China market does me no good. It’s actually a negative effect as again, China market desires are antithesis to my own. U.S sports car and 911 sales declining about as soon as Porsche and other started shifting to a “China first” strategy is no coincidence. In our market, consumer demand has always favored more visceral models. Even today. Just look at how it took a record number of GT3 sales (point #1) to keep 2017 911 sales simply in line with the previous years already declining sales (point #2). While Cayman and Boxster sales have declined so heavily in U.S that rumors of ixnaying them completely are floating. If they allocate all models to China, that does us no good. As I said before, I’m a fanboy of Porsche engineering, not Porsche boardroom.

I have no doubts that if China wasn’t a factor, the U.S Porsche product line in the U.S would look different than it does today.

I agree that the “same car for every market approach” won’t be so streamlined going forward. As we reach an age of huge technological shifts and polarized politics between countries, shifting back to a “market by market approach” to some degree will pay dividends.

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Looking good...
Nice profile, as expected. But imo it’s a bummer it’s getting that boxy 718 front bumper. My worst favorite part of that car.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM
RRDnA
Banned

My cars get driven hard, in fact to the limit of available grip on a regular basis (and not on public roads) and I get a great deal of pleasure from them. No point building a GT4 if it can't compete with other cars in its class. For some, its quite straightforward.

Anyhow, the key decisions have been made and it appears the the whole 992 line up will be turbocharged including the 992 GT3. Personally, I like the direction Porsche has taken. I even like the look of the new line up. Others don't thats always the way it is with these things.

This is what Porsche think

"Type number 356, chassis number 356-001, small, light, efficient: It is the sportscar that Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche – also known as Ferry – could not find. So he built it himself.

It was his dream of the perfect sportscar. Even after almost 70 years, it is both a guiding example and a mission statement: To make the very most of every opportunity, to shape the future out of tradition, to develop techniques for passion and intellect through technology.

It embodies the Porsche principle.

They are all legends: 356, 911, 930, 959, 928, 917, 986, 918, 919, 718. The numbers are like declarations of love. But what exactly defines a sportscar? What makes Porsche unique? Is it the exclusive performance? The aesthetic, the harmony of the design concept? The mythology that runs from the race track into series production?

It is not one thing alone, but all of them together."

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-15-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
In 2017 Porsche sold more vehicles than ever before (YOY).
Yep, I remember back in college, I had a poster on my dorm room wall from the company that sold the most SUVs in China...
Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Yep, I remember back in college, I had a poster on my dorm room wall from the company that sold the most SUVs in China...
Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 AM
RRDnA
Banned

In contrast, I had these

The works car

and

The Le Mans car

This ones going on the block for $US12m

and this is what Porsche think

Looks like we're heading into a fantastic and exciting era. Oh, the pictures are of the legendary 2.1L RSR Turbo.

The 992RSR will be an absolute cracker too.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE