2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

Looks like end of the NA GT3 too. I can't wait to read those posts in the future, they are already starting.

A quote:

"What Blume does not mention is the fact that this 911, codenamed 992, is probably the last of its kind. The 911 after it will almost certainly be based on a vehicle architecture called SAZ--VW Group shorthand for sports car platform of the future.

While the 992 will essentially be a straightforward evolution of the current 911, the SAZ-based version would be built on a platform designed to have the flexibility to underpin a variety of vehicles. The next 911 will therefore be the last built on a unique platform."
Thanks for posting that article. It was very interesting. I bet the 991.2 GT3s are going to hold value really well and eventually appreciate. Here are the dates for the rollout of the 992 (if you can believe the article).

• October 2018: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S coupés revealed, with first customer deliveries February 2019.

• January 2019: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S cabriolet unveiled, with cars, cars in dealers from April.

• April 2019: Entry-level Carrera 2/4 in coupé and convertible form launched, with sales starting July.

• September 2019: 911 turbo coupé and Carrera 2/4 GTS unveiled, and will be on sale from February 2020.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:02 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Here's something to consider. Stick with me now.

Remember how in the original Terminator Sarah Connor meets her son John Connor's best friend Kyle for the first time as a grown man when he comes back from the future to protect her from the killbot that's trying to kill her so John (the future leader of The Resistance) won't be born? And she ***** him and gets knocked up and it turns out that Kyle is now both John's best friend (in the future) and father (now)?

Okay. We're talking about 992, right. Anybody remember what the rear of a 993 looks like?

ummhmmm. Full light bar on all models.

So is it possible -- remember, stick with me here -- is it possible the 992 HAS to evolve the full rear light bar so that the 993 will naturally have it as well? (which, as we know, is a fait accompli.)

Something to think about.
I think that the lightbar is coming on all models too because of the 718/Panamera/Cayenne design language unfortunately. Don't care about the lightbar, but just disappointed that the 911 is going to *follow suit* and morph into something similar when it is and always was a trailblazer.

Originally Posted by K-A

Agreed.

It’s funny, when I had my Macan, those taillights naturally served as my “starter Porsche taillights.” When I got my 991.1, the cleaner and simpler taillights served/serve as a fresher and nicer/more sporty and unique look to me (natural psychology). When I see 991.2 taillights, they look like oddly morphed/formed Macan (that we now see everywhere) taillights, which gives them a slightly too busy and mature/“4 door car” look, imo.
Haha you are such a lover of the 991.1. Hold on to yours and never sell it. First 991.2 not desirable to you because of turbo 3.0, now even the gorgeous LED taillights!!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Looks like end of the NA GT3 too. I can't wait to read those posts in the future, they are already starting.

A quote:

"What Blume does not mention is the fact that this 911, codenamed 992, is probably the last of its kind. The 911 after it will almost certainly be based on a vehicle architecture called SAZ--VW Group shorthand for sports car platform of the future.

While the 992 will essentially be a straightforward evolution of the current 911, the SAZ-based version would be built on a platform designed to have the flexibility to underpin a variety of vehicles. The next 911 will therefore be the last built on a unique platform."

While were on the subject of movies ....... I feel like this Automobile article I just read was from the alternate 1985 in Back the Future II where everything was ruined ...

Hopefully Doc will jump out of a time machine anytime now saying " quick , get in the car , you have to come with me back to the future , it's Porsche! Something has to be done about Porsche !!!! "
Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I called the 718 disaster when it was released. Should have listened PAG ... 4 bangers?

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/91...718s-not-much/
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I called the 718 disaster when it was released. Should have listened PAG ... 4 bangers?

I called it before it was released (based on the rumor of being a 4 banger turbo).

It may have worked if it was priced $10k less than the 981. It was too much simultaneous change with both the new turbos and downsizing to a 4 banger which sounded like a Subaru. I was very active in the Cayman/Boxster forums outside of Rennlist. It is now crickets from the 718 buyers. The difference in activity between the 981 and 718 forums is really remarkable. The NA Flat Six guys are like R-Rated on steroids. The 718 strayed from the flat-6 branding. Porsche marketing tried to do their best by leveraging the original 718 and 919 4 cylinders. Didn't work.

My next predictions.
1. 992 is going to be a huge hit but they can't raise the price too much or they will price themselves out of the market.
2. If any of the 911 variants go to a 4 banger (i.e. base or hybrid), it will be a death nail to that model. Sell it only in China. Don't even offer it in the US.
3. No one is going to give a **** if Porsche wins the Formula e race. Le Mans is where it is at. They are losing their racing heritage and it will impact their bottom line in the future.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I called it before it was released (based on the rumor of being a 4 banger turbo).

It may have worked if it was priced $10k less than the 981. It was too much simultaneous change with both the new turbos and downsizing to a 4 banger which sounded like a Subaru. I was very active in the Cayman/Boxster forums outside of Rennlist. It is now crickets from the 718 buyers. The difference in activity between the 981 and 718 forums is really remarkable. The NA Flat Six guys are like R-Rated on steroids. The 718 strayed from the flat-6 branding. Porsche marketing tried to do their best by leveraging the original 718 and 919 4 cylinders. Didn't work.

My next predictions.
1. 992 is going to be a huge hit but they can't raise the price too much or they will price themselves out of the market.
2. If any of the 911 variants go to a 4 banger (i.e. base or hybrid), it will be a death nail to that model. Sell it only in China. Don't even offer it in the US.
3. No one is going to give a **** if Porsche wins the Formula e race. Le Mans is where it is at. They are losing their racing heritage and it will impact their bottom line in the future.
If they're that desperate to reduce fuel consumption, they could make a 2.0 TT six. Put the aforementioned engine in a stripped, cloth interiored 911 and sell it for 80-85k.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
If they're that desperate to reduce fuel consumption, they could make a 2.0 TT six. Put the aforementioned engine in a stripped, cloth interiored 911 and sell it for 80-85k.
Barf.
Originally Posted by STG

How depressing. WTF, Porsche! The 981’s were masterpieces. WHY they messed with them is beyond me. They know better than ANYONE that straight line speed, 0-60, torque, etc. aren’t what sell sports cars. It’s emotional involvement. The 718’s are the best driving cars that no one wants. I had an amazing time with a loaner, it’s a flawless driving car, but it didn’t stir my soul enough to need it. And that rests solely on the motor and the ensuing sound.

Originally Posted by STG

A quote:

Yep, as I expected. How insanely sad. N/A GT3’s will go through the roof once the news is confirmed.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I think that the lightbar is coming on all models too because of the 718/Panamera/Cayenne design language unfortunately. Don't care about the lightbar, but just disappointed that the 911 is going to *follow suit* and morph into something similar when it is and always was a trailblazer.

Haha you are such a lover of the 991.1. Hold on to yours and never sell it. First 991.2 not desirable to you because of turbo 3.0, now even the gorgeous LED taillights!!
Indeed I am! And with the news coming out, I hopefully won’t (maybe replace it for a GT3 or .1 GTS)! Btw, “gorgeous” is subjective. And I’m super OCD with design symmetry therefore the (imo) oddly cut and needlessly fussy “sharp arrow” look of the inner .2 taillights rub me the wrong way. I prefer how the .1 lights roundly flush into the inner bumper indentations for said taillights. But I’m being picky here. If I had a .2, I’m sure I’d get into the taillights just fine. It’s nothing nearly as dramatic as the power plant differences, of course.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

A quote:

This makes me very happy.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This makes me very happy.
In a perfect world Porsche would somehow split off from the VW group and regain it's independence. Being part of a massive conglomerate bodes ill for the Porsche DNA.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Barf.How depressing. WTF, Porsche! The 981’s were masterpieces. WHY they messed with them is beyond me. They know better than ANYONE that straight line speed, 0-60, torque, etc. aren’t what sell sports cars. It’s emotional involvement. The 718’s are the best driving cars that no one wants. I had an amazing time with a loaner, it’s a flawless driving car, but it didn’t stir my soul enough to need it. And that rests solely on the motor and the ensuing sound.Yep, as I expected. How insanely sad. N/A GT3’s will go through the roof once the news is confirmed.Indeed I am! And with the news coming out, I hopefully won’t (maybe replace it for a GT3 or .1 GTS)! Btw, “gorgeous” is subjective. And I’m super OCD with design symmetry therefore the (imo) oddly cut and needlessly fussy “sharp arrow” look of the inner .2 taillights rub me the wrong way. I prefer how the .1 lights roundly flush into the inner bumper indentations for said taillights. But I’m being picky here. If I had a .2, I’m sure I’d get into the taillights just fine. It’s nothing nearly as dramatic as the power plant differences, of course.
This whole thing reads like a nightmare that won't end.
The death of the NA engines, hybrids, battery packs, non-bespoke chassis.
The flatulence will now extend across the entire 911 line up. Great work, Porsche!
Pussyfication, politics and profits over passion.
Take your forced in(tro)diction and shove it...
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Barf.
Good? No, but a hell of a lot better than a WRX engine.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
This whole thing reads like a nightmare that won't end.
The death of the NA engines, hybrids, battery packs, non-bespoke chassis.
The flatulence will now extend across the entire 911 line up. Great work, Porsche!
Pussyfication, politics and profits over passion.
Take your forced in(tro)diction and shove it...
It is really sad and frustrating. I don't see how I'll feel compelled into any 992 with all that homogenization.

By the time the 993 is ready, it may very well be an EV. And if the 992 doesn't pick up the recently lagging U.S 911 sales, we may not see very many 992's after a few years, as Porsche can pretty much sell anything with a crest on it in China, and will probably be more than happy to move their China-market-designed 911's to the China market. In terms of how much of the U.S market will be designed and factored into future 911's.... A LOT is riding on the 992 out here.

What's odd is that I thought it was all but confirmed that the 992 WILL be on the new modular VAG sports car chassis (shared with Audi, Lambo, etc.). But that article states it'll be the last bespoke chassis. I was under the impression that the 991 is the last bespoke Porsche chassis. Guess maybe there's still hope for some surprises.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:58 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My only hope is that the 992 GT3 sticks to NA - hopefully an evolution of the 991.2 GT3 engine...
Old 01-26-2018, 02:03 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvg
My only hope is that the 992 GT3 sticks to NA - hopefully an evolution of the 991.2 GT3 engine...
I see disappointment in your future.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I think Porsche sees the naturally aspirated versus turbo debate as a negative for Carrera sales. Better to go turbo across all 911 lines.

Blame the Euro emissions mafia too.

A sad day that will be when GT3 suffers that fate.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE