Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
In this instance, perhaps. But I prefer a good flat 6 sound to a V sound, as a good flat 6 is perhaps my favorite automotive sound out there.

Hard to compare an old water cooled engine to a newer one. The 3.0 sounds a lot more farty than the modern N/A cars do. Maybe its the muffling, but even with PSE it sounds too quiet and soulless to me (again, the owner of a .2 GTS echos this as he stated his GTS Macan also with PSE sounds louder and more riveting to him). I credit this to two factors: turbos sucking some of that raw clatter out, and less displacement. Thats not to say that more displacement always sounds better (I actually sort of prefer the rasp of the 3.4 to the deeper 3.8, but the 3.0 seems to be pushing it imo). And the turbo whistle is vastly louder than the engine itself from outside, which is a shame.

The .2s with PSE Ive heard dont give me goosebumps whatsoever. Any .1 with PSE (or X Pipe) is not only something I can hear over and over again with a huge smile on my face, but its probably my favorite sound out there of any car. Dont even need a GT3 to get that as about any N/A flat 6 will do, imo.

I also wouldnt say silent majority. Anecdotally, Im surprised at how many casual car fans ask if I have one of the new turbo 911s or the better sounding N/A ones. Its an annoying and common topic .2 owners have to deal with for a reason (look up YouTube comment sections when in 911 sound comparisons, tons of turbo complaints with N/A auditory praise)

The .2 is likely the first 911 facelift to drastically sell less than the outgoing model, with the outgoing model considerably rising in value (unheard of for a volume car). Then when you take into account how game changing the new .2 turbo performance is, it truly says a lot when the .1s go up in value and .2s decline in sales. I.e it may not be an issue to those of you who bought one, but it is to many. Not that mass opinion should determine much, but numbers dont back up a silent majority not caring about the sound and feel differences.

I honestly and truly wouldve paid more for the .1 than a base .2 for the those intangible feeling aspects alone. I couldnt get myself to seriously consider the .2, even considering how epic it drives. And that says a lot because the .2 is a considerably better fundamental car.
Not here pal. Loving my PSE.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
In this instance, perhaps. But I prefer a good flat 6 sound to a V sound, as a good flat 6 is perhaps my favorite automotive sound out there.Hard to compare an old air cooled engine to a newer one. The 3.0 sounds a lot more “farty” than the modern N/A cars do. Maybe it’s partly the muffling, but even with PSE it sounds too quiet and soulless to me (again, the owner of a .2 GTS echos this as he stated his GTS Macan also with PSE sounds louder and more riveting to him). I credit this to 3 factors: turbos sucking some of that “raw” clatter out, the 3.0 running less compression which makes a big difference in natural sound, and less displacement. That’s not to say that more displacement always sounds better (I actually sort of prefer the rasp of the 3.4 to the deeper 3.8, but the 3.0 seems to be pushing it imo). And the turbo whistle is vastly louder than the engine itself from outside, which is a shame.

The .2’s with PSE I’ve heard don’t give me goosebumps whatsoever. Any .1 with PSE (or X Pipe) is not only something I can hear over and over again with a huge smile on my face, but it’s probably my favorite sound out there of any car. Don’t even need a GT3 to get that as about any N/A flat 6 will do, imo.

I also wouldn’t say silent majority. Anecdotally, I’m surprised at how many casual car fans ask if I have one of the new turbo 911’s or the “better sounding N/A one’s.” It’s an annoying and common topic .2 owners have to deal with for a reason (look up YouTube comment sections when in 911 sound comparisons, tons of turbo complaints with N/A auditory praise).

The .2 is likely the first 911 facelift to drastically sell less than the outgoing model, with the outgoing model considerably rising in value (unheard of for a volume car). Then when you take into account how “game changing” the new .2 turbo performance is, it truly says a lot when the .1’s go up in value and .2’s decline in sales. I.e it may not be an issue to those of you who bought one, but it is to many. Not that mass opinion should determine much, but numbers don’t back up a silent majority not caring about the sound and feel differences.

I honestly and truly would’ve paid more for the .1 than a base .2 for the those intangible “feeling” aspects alone. I couldn’t get myself to seriously consider the .2, even considering how epic it drives. And that says a lot because the .2 is a considerably better fundamental car.
Why must you ruin every thread with your inane anecdotal “logic” regarding .1 vs. .2 sounds. Can you please go back to your argument with sticky on the T thread and leave the rest of us alone.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Why must you ruin every thread with your inane anecdotal log ic regarding .1 vs. .2 sounds. Can you please go back to your argument with sticky on the T thread and leave the rest of us alone.
I would if you could tell me what logic means.

Should I be offended?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Airandwater
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Why must you ruin every thread with your inane anecdotal “logic” regarding .1 vs. .2 sounds. Can you please go back to your argument with sticky on the T thread and leave the rest of us alone.

Dont get him going on air suspension. He made Macan Forum intolerable for a year about this. But eventually he mellows
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

How has this turned into an exhaust and sound thread??

Going turbo is what it is. Dont like? Stick with .1 or the GT models. This is a 992 thread. Once again, go to another thread if the topics arent relevant.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, let's bring this back to the 992.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
How has this turned into an exhaust and sound thread??

Going turbo is what it is. Dont like? Stick with .1 or the GT models. This is a 992 thread. Once again, go to another thread if the topics arent relevant.
Why is it wrong to speculate about and hope that the 992 sounds better than the 991.2?
I for one certainly hope it’s the case as I’d love to buy another new 911 else I’ll crowdsource some help in the HFS thread.

The pics of the 992 look good..keep them and other details, coming.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:52 PM
K-A
Drifting

Yeah, many .2 holdouts would buy a 992 if they like the way it sounds. Like it or not, it is relevant to discuss and hypothesize on whether or not itll appease N/A enthusiasts in that department (or to point out that itll likely use a carry over engine). And car manufacturers often read these forums, so....

On the other hand, eventually there will be no choice if you want a new 911. But never stopped the age old water vs air topics, did it?

Be happy the 911 community cultivates passion and drama via things like how the inherent nature of an engine sounds, form of cooling, etc. Its why its one of the last remaining sports cars and why your new 911s dont tank in value like most $100K+ cars.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM
STG
Race Director

The reason why GT cars are getting a bigger and bigger following. Turbo will never be as good as the NA sound. See Turbo and Turbo S. Great cars, but different beast.

Porsche is making turbos for the Asian markets first and foremost. The Asian market is their one growth market. Its not about emissions or performance. Its about growth. Where do you think all the .2 allocations are going? The margins for them are better there too. Not speculation, but fact from a reliable source.

Last edited by STG; 10-29-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo828.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  186.7 KB

Name:  photo960.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  146.5 KB
Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Why is it wrong to speculate about and hope that the 992 sounds better than the 991.2?
There is no doubt that Porsche R&D is working to improve the sound in the 992.

They have received sufficient negative feedback on this point that it is likely being addressed in some way.

Just my speculation of course since I have no actual information but it makes sense.

I recall, that the PSE/exahust was the last major component to be developed on the .2 because they wanted to "get it right". That translates to me as......."we struggled with it and knew it wasn't perfect but we did our best before production started" 992 will sound better.

That said, I like the sound of my .2.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by -Ryan-

Came across this pic of a spy 991 from earlier in this thread. Interestingly it really gives some idea as to the differences between the two aesthetics (not much) and showcases how fresh the 991 looks as no joke, my eyes were drawn to it initially like now thats a nice pic of a 992.

The 992 greenhouse does look smaller, but after looking at this pic, maybe by not as much as I thought. The 991 greenhouse is in flawless proportion to the sheet metal imo.

Whats interesting is that Porsche teased the long hood look with the 991 initially.

Originally Posted by subshooter
There is no doubt that Porsche R&D is working to improve the sound in the 992.

They have received sufficient negative feedback on this point that it is likely being addressed in some way.

Just my speculation of course since I have no actual information but it makes sense.

I recall, that the PSE/exahust was the last major component to be developed on the .2 because they wanted to "get it right". That translates to me as......."we struggled with it and knew it wasn't perfect but we did our best before production started" 992 will sound better.

That said, I like the sound of my .2.
Thats interesting and makes sense. I still feel itll be hard for them to shake the inherent characteristics that make it sound (or not sound) how it does, but Porsche black magic has pulled off bigger feats than that.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, many .2 holdouts would buy a 992 if they like the way it sounds. Like it or not, it is relevant to discuss and hypothesize on whether or not itll appease N/A enthusiasts in that department (or to point out that itll likely use a carry over engine). And car manufacturers often read these forums, so....

On the other hand, eventually there will be no choice if you want a new 911. But never stopped the age old water vs air topics, did it?

Be happy the 911 community cultivates passion and drama via things like how the inherent nature of an engine sounds, form of cooling, etc. Its why its one of the last remaining sports cars and why your new 911s dont tank in value like most $100K+ cars.
Also where the new iterations retain a slight resemblance, let alone a strong one to that car's fifty year old forebearers.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Looking good.

Judging from the cluster it looks to have some kind of adaptive cruise control that maintains distance between the front bumper and the car in front of you. I hope it does not feature an automated braking system
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Looking good.

Judging from the cluster it looks to have some kind of adaptive cruise control that maintains distance between the front bumper and the car in front of you. I hope it does not feature an automated braking system
I would hope so! The 991.1 had adaptive cruise control as an option...

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE