Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I put these in another thread but I saw the mule here in Vegas. The car has a similar stance to 991 wide body 4/4S/GTS. The tail lights look like the new panamera, hard to see with the tape over them.

I hated the door handle. For 50 years these cars have had the pull type handle and now they go to something that looks like it came from an Audi. Not a fan.

I think the big changes are in the headlight and front bumper and hood area. Subtle but it looks like the old 928/968 made modern with headlights that have gotten pretty flat.

To me the looks are very incremental and minor in change. I don't think I'll be buying a new 911 anytime soon.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to foster a bit of self awareness in Rennlist, this are being/going to be the bulk of the Rennlisters' reactions to the 992:
  1. Immobilization: This is the mental paralysis that Rennlisters showed when they first heard about the new model. Information at that time didn’t sink in for them.
  2. Denial: Rennlisters in denial thought things like, “They won’t do it,” “They don’t have the nerve,” or “They’re just trying to scare us.”
  3. Anger: Rennlisters who felt angry about the change revert to the forum to speak openly and express their true feelings. "I'll hold my 997.2 for ever", "the 991 is the last of the true 911s", "My GTS is a keeper".
  4. Negotiation: Rennlisters won’t accept the changes, so they’ll try to negotiate. "if we don't buy it, Porsche will end up going back to NA motors, at least for the GT versions"
  5. Depression: Depression may set in when a Rennlister realizes that Porsche will listen to all of his or her demands but will not agree to concede them all. "They are not going to launch an R for small budgets", "the future is electric".
  6. Exploration: Most Rennlisters will eventually test drive the 992 and begin to think about what their future would look like with a newer car, with warranty, faster, more comfortable, with new gadgets...
  7. Acceptance: Most Rennlisters will accept and move on to the 992, "discover" the many flaws the previous models had and that nobody had noticed, and think that "this is the real thing, how could we really consider staying in the 991 camp till the 993 came out"...
Free of charge (for this once time).
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Just to foster a bit of self awareness in Rennlist, this are being/going to be the bulk of the Rennlisters' reactions to the 992:
I agree....until the all electric 911 comes out then your theory is out the window.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

1. Immobilization: This is the mental paralysis that Rennlisters showed when they first heard about the new model. Information at that time didn’t sink in for them.
  2. Denial: Rennlisters in denial thought things like, “They won’t do it,” “They don’t have the nerve,” or “They’re just trying to scare us.”
  3. Anger: Rennlisters who felt angry about the change revert to the forum to speak openly and express their true feelings. "I'll hold my 997.2 for ever", "the 991 is the last of the true 911s", "My GTS is a keeper".
  4. Negotiation: Rennlisters won’t accept the changes, so they’ll try to negotiate. "if we don't buy it, Porsche will end up going back to NA motors, at least for the GT versions"
  5. Depression: Depression may set in when a Rennlister realizes that Porsche will listen to all of his or her demands but will not agree to concede them all. "They are not going to launch an R for small budgets", "the future is electric".
  6. Exploration: Most Rennlisters will eventually test drive the 992 and begin to think about what their future would look like with a newer car, with warranty, faster, more comfortable, with new gadgets...
  7. Acceptance: Most Rennlisters will accept and move on to the 992, "discover" the many flaws the previous models had and that nobody had noticed, and think that "this is the real thing, how could we really consider staying in the 991 camp till the 993 came out"...

That is an awesome write-up! You hit the bulls-eye...

(Except that you can get the 993 right now, no need to wait!)

Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Yeah that'd be the goddamn dream wouldn't it. Porsche brings back the 993 body for the next 993. The 911 would be 911 sized again.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brilliant; the stages of grief a la 911
We'll take it free of charge this time. Bring the bill along next time..
Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Looks awesome.

Love the new headlights.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Argon_
Pro

The return to the squared long hood is rapidly growing on me. At the end of the day, that's how this lineage began.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks good. Don’t love the new Porsche fronts (first time they’ve flubbed fronts in a awhile imo) or overdesigned tails, but it looks like the 991. Hope the headlights aren’t too slanted (gotta keep those humps), indifferent on the hood creases, door handles are a gimmick that don’t do one thing or another for me, and the long hood shutline is kind of cluttered, but I’m sure I’ll like it just fine. Other than that, props to Porsche for keeping it pure 911 and maintaining the 991 look and shape as the 991 still looks fresh and flawless. 911 is about shamelessly honoring, preserving, and not messing with a winning potion.

But I'm keeping my last of the N/A 991.1’s.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

BTW, are there ANY pictures of this car next to a 991? I remember once seeing some next to some .2’s and maybe .1’s on a track. Trying to compare the size of the greenhouse (to analyze how much narrower the glasshouse via how much higher the shoulder line of the newer one may be).
Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Haha- the future is here!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 712 Likes on 393 Posts

All that said - that door handle stinks. Should have gone with the setup on the new Velar, recessed handle that pops out to open, otherwise leaves a totally flush door panel.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
All that said - that door handle stinks. Should have gone with the setup on the new Velar, recessed handle that pops out to open, otherwise leaves a totally flush door panel.
IOW the pop up headlights of the 2010s
Old 10-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Argon_
Pro

Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_

The wing looks a bit odd on the 992. It looks like a car with the trunk open rather than like a wing.

I’m sure they will get it right on the Turbo. Hopefully they will have a decent Aero package option with a fixed wing for the Carrera.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE