Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
As someone who loves driving sports cars I would hope this will continue to be the case. It's just a bit discouraging when I talk to people that couldn't care less about driving and seem happy to let the machines take over. Even so called enthusiast seem more enamored with numbers than actually enjoying the car.
I disagree with this though and was discussing this with my wife just last night. As an enthusiast, I don't think there could be a better thing than a bunch of self driving cars on the road carrying around people who'd rather text on their phone than drive. These people tend to be the worst drivers, because they don't see any value in driving, nor do they take any interest in learning to be good at it. They're a scourge on our roads. The sooner they're in self driving cars, the safer it'll be for all of us.

As long as they don't outlaw manually operated cars, which ain't happening in the lifetime of anyone in this forum, we'll all be fine. I'd rather be stuck behind a slow driving Google car once in a while than having to deal with the absolutely horrible drivers our there. Here in Silicon Valley, self driving technology can not come fast enough.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 AM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The millennials like retro things. They will discover driving when they get jobs, make money, and move out of the basement.
millennials are already at the point where they have jobs & can afford cars but they continue to eschew driving for the reasons i stated in my previous post. unfortunately, as their generation ages, the trends aren't changing. according to a report from the u.s. public interest research group, between 2001 and 2009, there was a 23 percent decline in the average number of miles driven by 16 to 24-year-olds, and millennials were the primary reason for the decline.

furthermore, other studies have removed the economic & demographic factors you referenced in your post & still found conclusive data that confirmed millennials are driving significantly less than their older counterparts. controlling for demographic & economic factors, a study by the university of north carolina compared average daily driving mileage for 25-to-30 year olds in 2009 vs. 1995. interestingly, young people this age who were unemployed in 2009 drove 3.7 miles less a day than did unemployed young people who were that same age in 1995. the downward shift for this age group in 2009 (vs. 1995) held for those who had a job (-7.1 miles), lived with their parents (-6.2), formed a household (-7.9), and resided in the city (-6.2) or even the country (-8.1).

once the demographic & economic factors are removed, the remaining factor is attitudinal. millennials simply don't want the responsibility, cost, or distraction of driving in their "always on" connected social media life. also, if one studies the recent millennial trend away from personal freedom & a desire to abdicate personal responsibility to government, the lack of driving makes sense. sad but true.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:26 AM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The millennials like retro things. They will discover driving when they get jobs, make money, and move out of the basement.
You are sadly misinformed. Millenials don't care about driving because thanks to companies like Uber & Lyft, individuals can easily and affordably get chauffeured from point A to point B at a price point that is typical cheaper than the combination of a car payment + insurance + maintenance + repairs + parking + taxes + registration + tags + storage. And its not just about saving money. Car sharing services generally get you from point A to point B quicker, easier and allow you to multitask while riding.. because as a passenger in the vehicle, you don't have to pay attention to driving and can focus on getting other things done.

Look I enjoy driving on the open road as much as the next guy. But living in a major metropolitan area like Washington, DC with nonstop traffic and frustration behind the wheel.. means that I don't need to make up some silly pretentious excuse why the younger generation is no longer big on driving. Especially not in this 'connected' age, where it certainly makes much more sense for those who view driving as a simple transportation need.. to prefer using public or private transportation that often comes at a much cheaper price.

I've owned as many as four vehicles simultaneously and on any given day I greatly prefer taking the subway to work and using Uber to get around the city. As I said before its easier, quicker, cheaper, safer and more consistent than driving my own car. And I get to relax while commuting.. instead of raising my blood pressure because the light just turned green and guy in front of me hasn't moved because he's too busy surfing Facebook on his smartphone in traffic.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan
You are sadly misinformed. Millenials don't care about driving because thanks to companies like Uber & Lyft, individuals can easily and affordably get chauffeured from point A to point B at a price point that is typical cheaper than the combination of a car payment + insurance + maintenance + repairs + parking + taxes + registration + tags + storage. And its not just about saving money. Car sharing services generally get you from point A to point B quicker, easier and allow you to multitask while riding.. because as a passenger in the vehicle, you don't have to pay attention to driving and can focus on getting other things done.

Look I enjoy driving on the open road as much as the next guy. But living in a major metropolitan area like Washington, DC with nonstop traffic and frustration behind the wheel.. means that I don't need to make up some silly pretentious excuse why the younger generation is no longer big on driving. Especially not in this 'connected' age, where it certainly makes much more sense for those who view driving as a simple transportation need.. to prefer using public or private transportation that often comes at a much cheaper price.

I've owned as many as four vehicles simultaneously and on any given day I greatly prefer taking the subway to work and using Uber to get around the city. As I said before its easier, quicker, cheaper, safer and more consistent than driving my own car. And I get to relax while commuting.. instead of raising my blood pressure because the light just turned green and guy in front of me hasn't moved because he's too busy surfing Facebook on his smartphone in traffic.
Even before Uber and Lyft, younger folks in DC were using metro and renting cars if they needed to go outside the city of weekends. It's a foreign concept to me (I grew up in the suburbs of car-crazy Southern California) but it's cheaper for those folks plus many don't have garages and parking can be an issue, too, let alone DC traffic.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

At the end of the day, I could give a rats *** about what anyone else is doing regarding transportation. all the better for me if less cars on the road. Not everyone lives in SF or DC. Not to mention, not all younger people are the same just because a lot of the idiots on TMZ get all the coverage.

The "passion" of driving has always been one thing that some people see as a hobby. The "car guy" thing has always been for someone that sees cars as something more than getting from point A to B.

Imagine the AWESOME late model Porsche's we'll be able to get on the cheap once baby boomers can no longer drive and millennials could care less about

Now ..... Porsche won't stop making cars. So back to talk about the next 911 generation.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My little nephew who is 4 years old love my car and call it a racing car.

He loves being in my car even when stationary.

His favourite car colour is black and he has a lot of car toys.

I believe its to do with the up-bringing rather than which generation they belongs to.

I know guys from my generations that won't give a damn about cars.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More spy shots. This time with spoiler retracted.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/porsche-911-992/

I can't help but feel that rear 3/4 panels will look different on the production car.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by virage
More spy shots. This time with spoiler retracted.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/porsche-911-992/

Thanks

Name:  photo778.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  965.7 KBName:  photo406.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  964.7 KBName:  photo833.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  918.3 KB
Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Old 03-15-2017, 05:50 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Rear end looks like this character's face
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

On the look of the new car, it's always best to wait as the camo cars don't always represent the final car. The 991 came out great I expect this one will too although different.

As far as the 911's future. Many of us on this forum have as 2nd or 3rd cars a Cayenne or Macan. If the 911 disappears the mystique of being a premium sports car brand goes with it. In my company we have premium and Limited Edition product that is our highest cost and usually our smallest and select distribution. Without it we become to predictable and normal. The 911 does this for Porsche.

As far as self driven cars. There are plenty of people who are lazy and think of driving as a task not enjoyment. They will love theses cars but I still believe the amount of drivers who still want to be the captain of their starship will always force there to be cars that need to be driven. I have raised a few millennial myself. My 32 year old lives in NYC where having a car is a burden. He is moving out of the city so he can start enjoying driving again and driving a car that will eventually lead him to a Porsche.

New car, new topic, new arguments, soon.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Rear end looks like this character's face
Or this:

Old 03-15-2017, 11:51 AM
ThePhanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
As a Millenial I always liked driving and cars. The 911 was an obvious dream car for me. Most of my friends are similarly into cars (at least to some extent).
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic
As a Millenial I always liked driving and cars. The 911 was an obvious dream car for me. Most of my friends are similarly into cars (at least to some extent).

Good to hear. Welcome to RL.

Check out HFS (Hot for Sale) sometime. Might find your dream 911
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Or this:

There it is. I couldn't think what 80's robot character the tail lights reminded of but that's it.

I'm pretty sure once it's unmasked the rear lights will look the new panamera lights. I don'[t know what to think about the tesla like door handles.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE