Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

 
Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 PM
  #106  
MKW
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Palo Alto and Carnelian Bay/Lk Tahoe
Posts: 1,536
Default

you can see the gaps of the fake panel below the horizontal light bar where the vertical chromed " P O R S C H E " badging will go on the 992 to harmonize with the new rear end " branding " graphic design across all updated model lines , as first introduced on the 718s and now the new Panamera :








MKW is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 02:51 PM
  #107  
STG
Super User
Thread Starter
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 13,515
Default

^^^ good catch and very likely. The upper part will look close to the Panamera I assume.

Call it the new vertical billboard Not really a fan of the look and the way it's integrated into the design. It's too in your face and your eye goes right to it. Good for marketing, not great design though.
STG is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 PM
  #108  
CDH911C2S
User
 
CDH911C2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 348
Default

This new design is a clear candidate for "debadging" ---I like the look of the new Panamera (a first for me to say)---but truer words were never spoken:

"We don't need no stinkin badges..."

Cheers

Last edited by CDH911C2S; 02-02-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: sp
CDH911C2S is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 03:26 PM
  #109  
STG
Super User
Thread Starter
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 13,515
Default

I know on the 718, the PORSCHE is molded into the trim. No way to remove. Assume will be the same with others. Have no issues with it, just too in your face the way it's executed.
STG is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
  #110  
rk-d
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rk-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,816
Default

I'd bet that spoiler is a Panamera style unfolding wing
rk-d is online now  
Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 PM
  #111  
Dan Nagy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dan Nagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,548
Default

Originally Posted by rk-d View Post
I'd bet that spoiler is a Panamera style unfolding wing
So is this going to be a 911 or a Panamera Coupe?
Dan Nagy is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 04:14 PM
  #112  
Bossing
User
 
Bossing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,221
Default

Originally Posted by STG View Post
I agree that the front bumper and especially the rear end will be DRAMATICALLY different than the 991's. These test cars don't show much.
Yup... less of that rounded signature 911 fascia. Evolution of times....
Attached Images    
Bossing is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 PM
  #113  
JustBud
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JustBud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,964
Default

I think the whole front end is tacked on too.....it's disguised as well. Look at the white lines of deviation in the first photo above and the way the front signals are "sunken" behind the disguised fascia
JustBud is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
  #114  
Hurricane
Super User
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,466
Default

Originally Posted by MKW View Post
you can see the gaps of the fake panel below the horizontal light bar where the vertical chromed " P O R S C H E " badging will go on the 992 to harmonize with the new rear end " branding " graphic design across all updated model lines , as first introduced on the 718s and now the new Panamera :








Very good catch! Sharp eye!
Hurricane is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 PM
  #115  
Rambler_13
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 691
Default

The hood creases are a nice touch and in terms of creases, pretty subtle. Contrast that with a Z06, for example, that is more origami like in its styling. One of the beautiful things of the 911's iconic style is its perpetual wave like design. In the most recent issue of Christophorus, Hartmut Esslinger summed it up well, "The car doesn’t need any fashionable crease lines; the proportions are dynamic.”
Rambler_13 is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 05:01 PM
  #116  
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ace37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,630
Default

The 991 mules were quite homely so it's hard to draw any conclusions on the new design overall.

The front end tweaks are interesting; hard for me to say if I like it better or not but at this point it's not at all bad to my eye.

Is the wheelbase a bit longer? Wouldn't be a surprise if they did that and drew the engine forward.
(The cameras are likely to warp that side view a bit since they are likely set to a different zoom level.)

Good catches on how Porsche seems to be echoing a standard rear design language. I don't like the new PORSCHE label the way it's implemented on the 718 but that's me. I think the panamera splitting spoiler is a neat gadget to see unfold and is much more attractive than the current open-trunk-at-speed look which I find inelegant when deployed. The mule's rear end is covered with all sorts of things so it's going to be interesting to see how well it comes together when the wraps start to come off.

Overall, skimming over details I like the look of the 997, I like the look of the 991, and I expect I'll like the look of this next generation when it's ready.
ace37 is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 05:08 PM
  #117  
Hurricane
Super User
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,466
Default

Originally Posted by ace37 View Post
The 991 mules were quite homely so it's hard to draw any conclusions on the new design overall.

The front end tweaks are interesting; hard for me to say if I like it better or not but at this point it's not at all bad to my eye.

Is the wheelbase a bit longer? Wouldn't be a surprise if they did that and drew the engine forward.
(The cameras are likely to warp that side view a bit since they are likely set to a different zoom level.)

Good catches on how Porsche seems to be echoing a standard rear design language. I don't like the new PORSCHE label the way it's implemented on the 718 but that's me. I think the panamera splitting spoiler is a neat gadget to see unfold and is much more attractive than the current open-trunk-at-speed look which I find inelegant when deployed. The mule's rear end is covered with all sorts of things so it's going to be interesting to see how well it comes together when the wraps start to come off.

Overall, skimming over details I like the look of the 997, I like the look of the 991, and I expect I'll like the look of this next generation when it's ready.
Truth! Same here.
Hurricane is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:12 PM
  #118  
GregD
User
 
GregD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SF north bay
Posts: 350
Default

You guys covered it all. I can live with it except... the extended rear spoiler... I don't think the look with the spoiler up is very good. Looks like you see the innards of the car like a part fell off and its so long it spoils the shape of the fenders, like looking up her skirt (but not sexy).

I'll always remember one of my work colleagues complimenting me on my boxster a long time ago but saying "it looks so good spoiler down but I followed you on the freeway and that raised spoiler is UGLY". In this case I agree. Hopefully there'll be a duck ;-)

And a 6MT, please...
GregD is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM
  #119  
StormRune
Super User
 
StormRune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,375
Default

Originally Posted by pfan View Post
Spoiler deployed on the 992 looks pretty bad. Perhaps the designers are hinting "keep it stowed unless you need it."
Originally Posted by Dan Nagy View Post
Yes, I am not so sure about this spoiler. It's reminiscent of "The Flying Nun" to me, but there are lots of owners that love that big wing look. On the 911, the current Turbo wing looks good to me. I also liked the wing on my Cayman. My 911, not so much but I never have to look at it.
Originally Posted by STG View Post
Obviously the lower rear, and rear overall is disguised. Looks like a Mitsubishi as is
Interesting! I'm not saying I hate the wing, but my first thought looking at the resulting arch in the rear wing was Mitsubishi too... even before I read STG's reference to that. It reminds me of some of the spoilers I've seen on the 3000GT and the Eclipse models over the years... here are a sample from the Eclipse at a similar angle... some of the newer models were even more arched:



StormRune is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 PM
  #120  
neurotic
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neurotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,632
Default



I absolutely loath the vertical PORSCHE lettering--in your face advertising. But that's just me...
neurotic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: