Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I think NUBBIE is still in prototype phase, although that and whole interior will closely follow Panamera and Cayenne interior design. That's a given.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I agree, but your friends at PAG have more aggressive plans. Whether they pay off is another story.
Plans hatched due to the laws and regulations created by governments around the world convinced the ICE is the source of all evil.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:59 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

One thing that intrigues me with the photos above is that the vinyl dash has survived for another generation. I figured it might just disappear this time…
Hey - I prefer the vinyl dash :-)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
As far as the dash, what material would you have envisioned? Other than optional leather wrapped? The standard plastic/vinyl isn't good for keeping looking nice. Kind of a chalky black that is hard to evenly use product on to keep it looking fresh and a deeper black. Could be much better quality in my opinion.

What do you think the seats will be like? Any major changes? That's something we haven't discussed at all.
I wondered if the 911 would be taken further upmarket, and go to a leather dash as standard equipment. Of course, that would kill the chance to charge extra for leather....

Seats are a good question, though we will just be speculating. With that said, Porsche is pretty conservative when it comes to seats, often carrying them over largely unchanged. The question is whether it will do so in the leap from 991 > 992.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
That makes two of us. I also like vinyl dashboards in many cases, and am thankful it will still be available in the next 911.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
U N D E R S T E E R
That's correct. What I meant to say they are prone to torque steer.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR

The non leather (vinyl) dash and panels are a no frills classic sports car material. With all the synthetic materials out there, I think it could use a small upgrade to its current material.

Would never go to standard leather. Stitching and leather and big bu$iness.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

A decade from now, we'll be happy to just have a pure ICE of any kind -- be it NA or FI.

Electric is here. It's not going anywhere. Only going to become more prevalent, and omnipresent.

Like when cockroaches move in. You either get used to them, or move out.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:11 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

That makes two of us. I also like vinyl dashboards in many cases, and am thankful it will still be available in the next 911.
Three of us - I am too lazy to maintain leather on the dash and doors (assuming it's needed)

Agree with STG though it could use a slight upgrade if one exists to make it more "premium" feeling in the standard interior
Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Three of us - I am too lazy to maintain leather on the dash and doors (assuming it's needed)

Agree with STG though it could use a slight upgrade if one exists to make it more "premium" feeling in the standard interior
Four of us I guess
Always had a full leather and deviated stitching on previous cars, but with my last 991.1 GTS I got a vinyl dash and it is fine. From now on I would not care really.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
As far as the dash, what material would you have envisioned? Other than optional leather wrapped? The standard plastic/vinyl isn't good for keeping looking nice. Kind of a chalky black that is hard to evenly use product on to keep it looking fresh and a deeper black. Could be much better quality in my opinion.

What do you think the seats will be like? Any major changes? That's something we haven't discussed at all.
I hated that in my Macan. The “black” interior (seats, dash, plastics) was more of a “charcoal” or dark gray to me, which seems to be the same on all or most new “black” interior Porsche’s. Unlike my jet black BMW interior. My 991 for whatever reason seems to be a lot more pure black than my Macan interior. The steering wheel alone is BLACK, while my Macan’s was that chalky black. Maybe they changed dyes in recent years? Or maybe my 2012.5’s previous owner used some effective product.

Originally Posted by chuck911
There was an impressively insightful post a while back, and I want to say it was Worf but with my lame brane who knows? Anyway, he made the point that Porsche has been doing a pretty good job of consistent gradual movement of the center of mass, or weight distribution, forward. Except for the 991.2 where, and this is the impressive part, it went back the wrong way because they had not sufficient time to fully redistribute weight to account for the added weight of the turbo's. So he was expecting (hoping?) they would accomplish this and get back on track with the next gen. Because really, when it comes to weight, at least with Porsche and the 911, keeping it lean is pretty much a given and so what is really most important is how they are able to move that weight around and continue working towards a more even weight balance.
That’s interesting. MT for one stated that they felt the .2 understeered more than the .1, which may have something to do with that tweaking of the weight distribution.

Originally Posted by Argon_
The RSR moved to mid engine because the rear engine weight bias ate tires too quickly. That exact quality, while undesirable for endurance racing, is unbeatable in a sprint.

In a rear engine car, you can brake later and bring the power on earlier.

For years the 911 has ousted everything from mid engine supercars to Corvettes with twice the horsepower. The rear engine is a big part of that; It's a hell of a beast, but powerful for those who can tame it.
Exactly. It’s fundamentally “wrong,” yet at the same time what has made the 911 perform on a technical (fastest ring time for a production car, countless examples of going around tracks faster than much more capable and powerful cars on paper) and engagement level that every other car aspires to.

Mid engines are far more palatable, better for competitive racing (full blown race cars), more balanced and precise, and easier to enjoy. But the rear engine in a street sports car has proved to be the 911’s secret sauce in multi dimensions.

Originally Posted by chuck911
Right. My view has always been the rear engine goes back to the first car Porsche made, the VW. That car had to be extremely efficient and utilitarian. Then when he set out to make a much more performance-oriented model it was a whole lot easier and cheaper to improve what he had. So the 911 was kind a a one-off accident of circumstances kind of thing. Not at all like some imagine, the genius sitting down to a clean sheet of paper, gazing presciently out the window, having a brilliant epiphany of 60 years of rear-engine domination. I mean, if the rear-engine design is so great then why isn't everyone else doing it? And why, when every time Porsche does pour massive funds into blank-sheet state of the art "statement" designs they never are rear-engine but instead Carrera GT, 918, etc? Obvious as can be, yet nobody ever seems to get it. They just keep on about the genius of the rear-engine.

Its a real problem for Porsche. Well maybe less for Porsche than as you said, "for mortal wallets" ie, us. Porsche will do just fine cranking out their Golden Egg for us, with every now and then a CGT or 918 for the immortal wallets. Like HP selling for $130 a calculator they've made so long now the amortized cost is 35 cents they rake in so much on the 911 they can afford to keep everything else just slightly slower. Well why not? We keep letting them get away with it. With such a huge vested contingent of enablers why would it ever change?
Not saying that Porsche would make a rear engine car for their hypercar, but to be fair, they have no reason to do that. It would sacrifice the 911’s status as the rear engine benchmark and they already have a 911. Which, mind you, with 200 less horsepower has bested every mid engine hypercar on the ring.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The non leather (vinyl) dash and panels are a no frills classic sports car material. With all the synthetic materials out there, I think it could use a small upgrade to its current material.

Would never go to standard leather. Stitching and leather and big bu$iness.

In the U.K., a leather dash is standard on all new 911s, except the GTS for some reason. So even a base C2 has a leather dash and door tops etc over here.

I've driven a 2017 Panamera 4 for nearly a year. By the time my T arrives (hopefully early April) I'll have done around 18k miles in the Panny. Very nice sports saloon with high quality feel and interior, but can't wait to get back into a more analogue sports car cabin. Traditional buttons and dials, with a manual transmission. Bring it on.

And after a year's ownership, I find the shiny black finish and haptic switches etc less ergonomic than my previous 991.1 C2.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

I've driven a 2017 Panamera 4 for nearly a year. By the time my T arrives (hopefully early April) I'll have done around 18k miles in the Panny. Very nice sports saloon with high quality feel and interior, but can't wait to get back into a more analogue sports car cabin. Traditional buttons and dials, with a manual transmission. Bring it on.
Right on! Funny how what’s old is new again in the carworld.

I stopped the chase for “future tech” in a car long ago. I crave as visceral and analogue a feel I can get (that meets all my criteria’s). I’m on a smartphone all day, if I want my car to also turn into one, I’d just get some tech’d out econobox and call it a day. A high priced car to me needs to rivet me. Otherwise there’s no sense. Going fast and feeling nothing is about as pointless (and reckless) as it gets.

Funny as I went from a BMW with HUD, Keyless, big screen, lots of tech fluff, to a Macan with a little bit less tech fluff (it was my first non-keyless car in 5 years) and even had an S Class with radar cruise, massage seats, etc. Didn’t miss any of it.

Went to my 911, still no keyless (I would probably PAY to have to insert the key into the left socket, that’s a big visceral element to the car imo) and I love “whipping out” the genius “childhood evoking” toy car key (are Porsche genuises in tapping into our inner aspirational childs or what? They certainly “cracked the code” on how to get adults to splurge on often ridiculously priced items. Hint: Emotion. Playfulness backed up by excellence. And nostalgia), and now for the first time in over 7 years, no backup camera or parking sensors (thankfully the car is small as I do value those) either. Yet, currently my most enjoyable ownership experience, no contest.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Good to hear, K-A!

Although I did opt for parking sensors on my T!

Saw my Sales Exec on Friday and even he admitted that the Porsche sales guys don't fully understand all this tech stuff (Connect, Connect Plus, Apple Car Play or whatever). I said I've had the Panny for 11 months and not used 90% of its tech.

More and more I'm liking Pete's idea of a properly 'basic' 911. Fully manual seats, even wind down windows! And I look forward to inserting & turning an actual key again in the 911T!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
In next 5-10yrs when Porsche is trying to push electric down our throats, we will be wishing for turbo or any gas powered engine.
And in the next 10 years, when the government makes it explicitly or de facto illegal to drive your own car, we will be wishing for any vehicle with a couple of pedals and a steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE