Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 03:16 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If you look at the interior, that Silver thing on the bottom of the center console is where the haptic buttons are on a new cayenne so I think you will get the screen buttons on the 992.

Most interesting to me is whether they will be able to cut weight from the 991 or even hold the weight the same as the 991. It looks like it is a slightly bigger car. My guess is the inner shell is the same/similar to the 991 and with some lighter weight body panels (ala the plastic used on GT cars for bumpers) it should be ok. We shall see.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
If you look at the interior, that Silver thing on the bottom of the center console is where the haptic buttons are on a new cayenne so I think you will get the screen buttons on the 992.

Most interesting to me is whether they will be able to cut weight from the 991 or even hold the weight the same as the 991. It looks like it is a slightly bigger car. My guess is the inner shell is the same/similar to the 991 and with some lighter weight body panels (ala the plastic used on GT cars for bumpers) it should be ok. We shall see.
Are you trying to give these members a heart attack with that post?

This is gonna choke up a lot of people. Good job!

"911 is dead"

Old 02-24-2018, 06:08 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What silver thing? The most recent photo is the one I posted yesterday:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9734...l#post14823456

If you're referring to the silver-ish strip next to the cupholder, then it's simply a light reflection.

So the interior is, luckily, using regular buttons, **** and switches. Much better than what I was afraid to see.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR

Electric motors will be next generation after the 992 if you ask me (which no one does).

cheers!
I think you are right...
Old 02-24-2018, 10:55 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually like the new interior.
I think it will come out beautifully with the right finishes.
I do admit the tiny shifter might need some time getting used to,
but BMW M has had tiny M DCT shifters all the time, so it just needs getting used to the eyes (and hands).

Rather I am more curious about the blank spaces side to the shifter.
Will they be just plastic black panels without any functions?

Compared with the new Panamera, there aren't any functions that isn't already placed in the new 992.
Beauty of Space? or/and preventing interference with shifter when driving?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin

I actually like the new interior.
I think it will come out beautifully with the right finishes.
I do admit the tiny shifter might need some time getting used to,
but BMW M has had tiny M DCT shifters all the time, so it just needs getting used to the eyes (and hands).

Rather I am more curious about the blank spaces side to the shifter.
Will they be just plastic black panels without any functions?

Compared with the new Panamera, there aren't any functions that isn't already placed in the new 992.
Beauty of Space? or/and preventing interference with shifter when driving?
i think the 2 sides are actually camouflage so we don’t see it. If you look closely you’ll see that it’s a plastic cover they have on it.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Agree. If you look closely at the two interior shots - the manual gearshift boot is clearly too big for the space, it's a disguise - the touchscreen buttons will appear.

Gawd. The cupholder. Still can't get over that.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Cup holder could be an insert or option? Like smokers pkg, etc possibly?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

But with the manual gearbox, there isn't any space for buttons on the side.
I do see the black plastic panel little bit 'unfit', but I think that's just because it's still a test car.
I still think those areas are just blank. although I would like more buttons and functions.

Usually at this point of development, these pictures are most likely the final version,
I really hope the tiny shifter is not for real.

It's just too small and I cannot believe that they left out the +/- function on it.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

I really do not think that production 992s will have that tiny 'nubbin' shifter. I reckon that the centre console area will look a lot like the photo of the Panamera interior above. The spy shot of the 992 interior still has lots of false plastic camouflage in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Even if they have the panny gear selector/shifter, it loses the tactile grip and feel of the current longer stalk. Having driven a 2018 panny - twice, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that the smaller shifter feels a bit un-natural. I would still take it over the Norelco any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Even if they have the panny gear selector/shifter, it loses the tactile grip and feel of the current longer stalk. Having driven a 2018 panny - twice, I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that the smaller shifter feels a bit un-natural. I would still take it over the Norelco any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
LMAO
Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There was an impressively insightful post a while back, and I want to say it was Worf but with my lame brane who knows? Anyway, he made the point that Porsche has been doing a pretty good job of consistent gradual movement of the center of mass, or weight distribution, forward. Except for the 991.2 where, and this is the impressive part, it went back the wrong way because they had not sufficient time to fully redistribute weight to account for the added weight of the turbo's. So he was expecting (hoping?) they would accomplish this and get back on track with the next gen. Because really, when it comes to weight, at least with Porsche and the 911, keeping it lean is pretty much a given and so what is really most important is how they are able to move that weight around and continue working towards a more even weight balance.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing

i think the 2 sides are actually camouflage so we don’t see it. If you look closely you’ll see that it’s a plastic cover they have on it.
Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Agree. If you look closely at the two interior shots - the manual gearshift boot is clearly too big for the space, it's a disguise - the touchscreen buttons will appear.

Gawd. The cupholder. Still can't get over that.
Disagree. If you look at the touch panels on the sides of the Panny shifter, they are for climate secondary controls, heated seats, suspension, etc. In the spy shots, you can clearly see all these functions on other spaces. Heated and cooled seats to the rear by the cup holder, climate up front of the shifter and the suspension changed by the goggles above the vents.

My bet is that no buttons will be on either side of the shifter due to accommodations for the manual transmission.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I think that's been pretty much accepted as fact for months now. First the Panny, then the new Cayenne and, only logical, the 911 with the same dash as the other two would follow suit.
i just hope someone with half a brain reprograms the functionality of the screens. In the Panny loaner I had, the screens were bright and sharp, but their functionality was ill-used. The far right “gauge” showed nothing but a clock in various forms and the one on the left was just temperature or a compass. Sure, you could pull up the full nav map on the right but then you took over dial in the “fourth” slot which shows all the trip and diagnostic data like temps. And the one on the left, “position one” only shows safety systems other than the temp. Stupid.

Also, the center screen looks amazing with the map in full mode, but the split screen layouts are dumb (all 8 or so of them) and there is no good way to scroll through presets that I found. And you can’t do that from the wheel either. Stupid.

Digi gauges are cool, but only if the programming is smart. I’m hoping that the 911 gets more sport oriented gauge setups.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE