Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Why do I get the feeling that Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG have bestowed an "Online Communications Expert" upon us..
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Argon_
So all you care about is the spec sheet?

Claiming that some performance figures in the back of a magazine represent driving dynamics is completely asinine.

a 2.0 turbo 330i will spank an E30 318i, but to claim that it has superior driving dynamics is ridiculous. You buy a new BMW to commute, you buy an E30 to enjoy.
No I care about capability and driving dynamics and how both convert to real world performance.

You should probably take the time to understand why certain types of tests are done and how they are conducted.

I actually enjoy performance, in the real world under real closed course conditions and track conditions and whether a car has a dialled in suspension and blend of torque/power/grip that delivers a performance outcome.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Why do I get the feeling that Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG have bestowed an "Online Communications Expert" upon us..
992 thread .............
Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Join date... oh about when the PDK TT GT3 rumors started circulating.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by RRDnA
No I care about capability and driving dynamics and how both convert to real world performance.

I actually enjoy performance, in the real world under real closed course conditions and track conditions and whether a car has a dialled in suspension and blend of torque/power/grip that delivers a performance outcome.
I would wager over 90% of 911 drivers will never see a track. Therefore, driving dynamics, as it's always been, will be determined by what the car transmits to you. New cars are far more capable than old cars, yet far less engaging and dynamic in feeling.

A brand new M5 turns a 10.9 in a quarter mile and a 2.8 0-60. That's a full second on both accounts faster than a base Carrera. Lateral grip will be down, but probably not too far off of a base Carrera. Do you think the new M5 has better driving dynamics (in how it converts to real world performance) than a base Carrera?

I can tell what is unquestionably far more fun to drive than a blisteringly fast new M5: A 993. 4 or so second slower 1/4 mile time and all. That's what we're trying to relay (or let's call it "remind".... even the best of us need to be snapped back into our lanes from time to time) to Porsche AG.

Join date... oh about when the PDK TT GT3 rumors started circulating.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 AM
RRDnA
Banned

lol I needn't say anymore.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
EVERYTHING comes with a 2.0T now. Merc, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, Caddy....
My Infiniti QX30 comes with a Mercedes 2.0T and it is a lovely engine. Minimal turbo lag, smooth and sporty when you want it to be.

SAAB first introduced the 2.0T B202 Inline 4 in 1984. It produced 175hp. It would later also be the first balance shafted turbo 4. They did it for the fuel economy, emissions, weight savings and power. Sound Familiar?? SAAB may be dead, but their Swedish legacy definitely lives on. It’s not like the world went Ferrari V12 or Porsche Flat-6 (as awesome as those engines are), they went SAAB. 34 years ahead of their time. Truly impressive.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by K-A
I would wager over 90% of 911 drivers will never see a track. Therefore, driving dynamics, as it's always been, will be determined by what the car transmits to you. New cars are far more capable than old cars, yet far less engaging and dynamic in feeling.

A brand new M5 turns a 10.9 in a quarter mile and a 2.8 0-60. That's a full second on both accounts faster than a base Carrera. Lateral grip will be down, but probably not too far off of a base Carrera. Do you think the new M5 has better driving dynamics (in how it converts to real world performance) than a base Carrera?

I can tell what is unquestionably far more fun to drive than a blisteringly fast new M5: A 993. 4 or so second slower 1/4 mile time and all. That's what we're trying to relay (or let's call it "remind".... even the best of us need to be snapped back into our lanes from time to time) to Porsche AG.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Well, thankfully Porsche has a different view of the world.

hard to argue with Oliver Blume.....
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Well, thankfully Porsche has a different view of the world.

hard to argue with Oliver Blume.....
Yeah, and it’s also a 2.0T. LOL
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo

Yeah, and it’s also a 2.0T. LOL
it can be many things 2l turbo mated hybrid, 3l bi-turbo, 3.8l bi-turbo and on it goes........I don't think we'll have too much to worry about with the 992. The base will be similar to the current S, the S similar to the current GTS and the GTS moved on further. All with enhancements to suspension, brakes, PDK, PTVE etc - not a lot to get upset about and a lot to enjoy.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Argon_
Pro

TTing the Carrera was a sad inevitability of regulation, the lesser of two evils compared to mandatory automatics and Prius drivetrains.

As for the GT3, Porsche should build an enthusiast model for customers that want a stiff, raw, visceral car. The fifty percent take rate on the GT3 6MT is proof that I'm not making this up.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 AM
RRDnA
Banned

TTing the Carrera was a sad inevitability of regulation, the lesser of two evils compared to mandatory automatics and Prius drivetrains.

As for the GT3, Porsche should build an enthusiast model for customers that want a stiff, raw, visceral car. The fifty percent take rate on the GT3 6MT is proof that I'm not making this up.
That was in the US, the overall number was less than 25%, in a two year run thats about 1500 cars worldwide - the reality is most 991 GT3s never see any action and Porsche want to move away from that.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

As an enthusiast, Walliser's words mean a lot more to me, as he represents the artists of the brand (engineers). Blume is the CEO. He'll speak whatever marketing jargon (carried out by communications employees) to ensure everything newer is better, no questions. He also says Porsche's future is electrified (which again, will be faster, and grip better). Yes, it's the truth, but he's certainly not speaking for enthusiasts of visceral behavior and driving dynamics.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18572/p...long-as-we-can
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Argon_
Pro

That was in the US, the overall number was less than 25%, in a two year run thats about 1500 cars worldwide - the reality is most 991 GT3s never see any action and Porsche want to move away from that.
So you suppose that crushing the one bright spark they've got left will help. All it would do is drive GT prices even further into unobtanium range. Then there would be no 'action' at all, just beautiful sculptures in the garages of multimillionaires.

They should base future GT allocations on the number of miles placed on your last GT car, or 911. That way the people who want to daily their GTs will get them, The collectors will get few to none.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE