Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by trayvon
man, i really think the 992 shots here look incredibly ugly. that combined with the fact that i've enjoyed driving the N/A cars more than the turbo cars, looks like i may be stuck looking at 991.1s for eternity
^ I've been sort of prepared to come to grips with the idea that if I want a carrera, I may be stuck in the 991.1 as the most modern 911 that retains much of what we love about the car. The 991.2 carrera's are a no go for me with the FI motors and the 992 is looking more and more like a big 718 everyday...

The only other option is to jump to a GT car (which I'm prepared to do) but I'm concerned that I won't be able to drive it like it needs to be driven to get the most out of it...

Oh well... I guess I will just count myself fortunate that these are the problems we concern ourselves with. Life could be much worse 😶
Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
^ I've been sort of prepared to come to grips with the idea that if I want a carrera, I may be stuck in the 991.1 as the most modern 911 that retains much of what we love about the car. The 991.2 carrera's are a no go for me with the FI motors and the 992 is looking more and more like a big 718 everyday...

The only other option is to jump to a GT car (which I'm prepared to do) but I'm concerned that I won't be able to drive it like it needs to be driven to get the most out of it...

Oh well... I guess I will just count myself fortunate that these are the problems we concern ourselves with. Life could be much worse 😶

I echo your thoughts exactly.

The 991.1 is a keeper
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Me too. Planning never to sell it.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
I echo your thoughts exactly.

The 991.1 is a keeper
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Me too. Planning never to sell it.

Don't get me wrong... I absolutely LOVE my 991.1S. So "stuck" may not be the appropriate word I should be using... I could think of many worse places to be stuck lol.

I'm getting closer and closer to thinking I may just keep this car for 5+ years which I haven't done with a car in over a decade.

If the 992 turns out to not be my thing and if I can't justify giving a GT3 the life it deserves, I may just hunt down another 991.1 and go for a GTS next time
Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

The 991.2 carrera's are a no go for me with the FI motors and the 992 is looking more and more like a big 718 everyday...
If the 992 turns out to not be my thing
This confuses me. If the .2 is a no go because of the FI motor, then why would the 992 be a possibility? Are you saying if they really nailed it in other ways, you would be able to get over the FI motor?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:08 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
This confuses me. If the .2 is a no go because of the FI motor, then why would the 992 be a possibility? Are you saying if they really nailed it in other ways, you would be able to get over the FI motor?
My hope is that Porsche takes some of the criticism owners had with the .2 FI motors and improves them in the 992 (mainly lag and sound). The 991.2 Carrera FI motors always felt like a public beta for what would end up in the 992...

IMO the only company really doing FI right is Mercedes. I drove the AMG GTS a handful of times and I would never have known it was FI unless told. If Porsche can achieve that with the 992, take my money
Old 10-10-2017, 03:09 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

My next one will be either a G series, or a replica 356. I’ve sampled them all and love my current one - will hopefully have for awhile and then when I’m tired of it, I’ll go retro. Porsche’s biggest competitor is itself. Pretty impressive anyway you slice it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

My hope is that Porsche takes some of the criticism owners had with the .2 FI motors and improves them in the 992 (mainly lag and sound). The 991.2 Carrera FI motors always felt like a public beta for what would end up in the 992...

IMO the only company really doing FI right is Mercedes. I drove the AMG GTS a handful of times and I would never have known it was FI unless told. If Porsche can achieve that with the 992, take my money
Have your tried a Maserati?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by subshooter
Have your tried a Maserati?
Not recently but I drove both the GranTurismo and Ghibli. I believe both were NA? Forgive my ignorance if incorrect. I'm no Maserati expert
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I beg to disagree. The .2 FI motors are hardly an experiment. Porsche has been selling Turbos for how long? And lets not forget the parent company's experience with mass production turbos for decades. I think they've got it pretty well sorted. As far as lag goes, with the NA motor, you don't get that kick until what, 5000 rpm? In my book, that's lag. With the FI motor, at 5000 rpm you are up someones behind and way over the speed limit. I did 6 test drives in many .1 variants (mostly S) and wasn't motivated to part with money. The money was spent after I drove the .2 base.
Now as far as Mercedes is concerned, I owned an E550, with the 4.7L biturbo. Now that was a laggy engine, but when it hit full stride was pretty brutal. Maybe the 4.0 V8 is better, but you can't compare over 50 years of 911 refinement with the relatively new AMG GTS.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Not much lag in my E63 certainly not compared to my wife’s 535I or to lesser extend Macan S.
I drove the AMG GTS on track and even though only 4L not much lag at all.

NA feels like permanent lag to me.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

The 9A2 has very little lag, almost an imperceptible amount of lag, especially compared to the 570S or 720S powerplants.

The best that I've driven in terms of "no lag" is the 488. The 991.2 TT/TTS is right up there as well.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:15 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I beg to disagree. The .2 FI motors are hardly an experiment. Porsche has been selling Turbos for how long? And lets not forget the parent company's experience with mass production turbos for decades. I think they've got it pretty well sorted. As far as lag goes, with the NA motor, you don't get that kick until what, 5000 rpm? In my book, that's lag. With the FI motor, at 5000 rpm you are up someones behind and way over the speed limit. I did 6 test drives in many .1 variants (mostly S) and wasn't motivated to part with money. The money was spent after I drove the .2 base.
Now as far as Mercedes is concerned, I owned an E550, with the 4.7L biturbo. Now that was a laggy engine, but when it hit full stride was pretty brutal. Maybe the 4.0 V8 is better, but you can't compare over 50 years of 911 refinement with the relatively new AMG GTS.
I think you may have misunderstood my post. The .2 Carrera motors are a brand new platform and it's pretty clear to most of us that there is obvious room for refinements to be made. I don't see anything wrong with hoping these refinements make it into the 992.

You are comparing turbo lag to lower overall power output? So anything with less hp/tq now has lag?

And why can't we compare another manufacturer's sports car that is utilizing FI to the 991.2? Especially since that car was built to directly compete with the 911? Because Porsche did it first/longer?

Clearly you found the .2 to be the better fit for yourself and that is absolutely fine. There are plenty of .1 vs .2 threads on these boards and I don't think this 992 thread needs to become one of them. There are so many ways the .2 improves on the .1 and I'm happy to admit any of them. Just don't tell me responsiveness is one of those improvements because it isn't
Old 10-10-2017, 11:37 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I think you may have misunderstood my post. The .2 Carrera motors are a brand new platform and it's pretty clear to most of us that there is obvious room for refinements to be made. I don't see anything wrong with hoping these refinements make it into the 992.

Yes agreed, refinement is always going to happen and that is a great thing. Certainly they'll make great even greater. When you use "beta", you really understate the level and acclaim the 9A2 has achieved.

You are comparing turbo lag to lower overall power output? So anything with less hp/tq now has lag?

As far as I'm concerned, waiting for power, with NA or turbo is lag. Both engines require a bit of keeping the rpms up, but the .2 is just there at the lower speeds.

And why can't we compare another manufacturer's sports car that is utilizing FI to the 991.2? Especially since that car was built to directly compete with the 911? Because Porsche did it first/longer?

Always good to compare, I found the AMG GTS too ponderous. Just didn't seem to be as close of a competitor with the 911. Plus, it started at a much higher price. The Jag F-Type was much more competitive (in my mind) than the Merc. Jag was just too small for me, but really pushed the passion button (AWD R). On another note, I thought my Merc was meh. Great engine, but everything else was forgettable. So glad it's gone.

Clearly you found the .2 to be the better fit for yourself and that is absolutely fine. There are plenty of .1 vs .2 threads on these boards and I don't think this 992 thread needs to become one of them. There are so many ways the .2 improves on the .1 and I'm happy to admit any of them. Just don't tell me responsiveness is one of those improvements because it isn't
We can disagree on the responsiveness. I find the .2 as powerful and responsive as I need. Maybe I need more seat time in a .1, but I just don't feel the unresponsive characteristic of the 9A2. And yes, it is quieter, but sounds great at higher rpms.
Cheers.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah a 991.1 is my dream, I'm glad you're already enjoying one.

I think of it as being forced to save money, instead of ordering a new car, I'll always be buying used

I don't think you'll be bored of your car even after 5+ years. Just a guess.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE