Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 PM
medias116
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
its definitely starting to grow on me ... especially with black wheels (with all the blacks in front and rear).
not sure I will with the interior though. I, personally, like it old school tactile stuff with feedback and without having to look down. maybe the final vehicle will prove me wrong ...
Old 09-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by medias116

its definitely starting to grow on me ... especially with black wheels (with all the blacks in front and rear).
not sure I will with the interior though. I, personally, like it old school tactile stuff with feedback and without having to look down. maybe the final vehicle will prove me wrong ...
I so want to love this car but it just isn't happening. I look at the images frequently to get used to seeing the changes, but it just comes down to the fugly spoiler and slapped-on-looking front bumper. The interior has hope of the mess being straightened out but the exterior looks locked.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Dang you're old dude! just messing around I would wager we are all just big kids at heart no matter the age. I try to tell myself every day to never grow up...

Hehe took a lot of hard work and gratitude, just trying to do things the right way! Very fortunate position to be in that's for sure and I try to pay it forward however I can. Whether you have a "base" Carrera at age 70 (people seem to forget this is still a $100k car LOL) or a GT2RS at age 20 we are all very very lucky and I'm happy our passion for the 911 transcends generations
Well I'm 35 so I'd like to think I'm not THAT much older but I'm a full blown gear head , car nut and I've been driving / owning Porsche's as soon as I got my license at 16 , started with 944's , a ratty 911 Targa, a 928 and have come up through the 911 generations ( air and water cooled) right up to my 991.1. We are all extremely fortunate and I am very thankful of what I have.

Lately, though , I'd say within really the last 5 years the enthusiast car market has taken a serious nose dive and I find myself disagreeing more and more with the new car designs and this 992 is reaching for me, unforgivable levels of change that I do not think are for the best. Hopefully I'll be surprised and proven wrong but with nearly 20 years of experience in the auto industry I can see the writing on the wall the same as I have with every other brand that has lost it's way over the years.

The main problem here is that Porsche along with many other makes simply don't understand their US market for certain models which they incorrectly believe is made up of rich millennial's and techno lovers who go goo goo for technology overload. The truth is that the Porsche sports car market is made up of many more 40+ year old's who approach technology as I do with a " could take it or leave it " mentality. Many of whom find the tech overload extremely frustrating and over complicated in the same way that they view their smart phone as something that is as much an annoyance as it is a convenience. These same people also came to Porsche because of the history, classic styling and the cars they grew up loving that were far more focused in their purpose. I'm 35 and grew up without a cell phone until I was a teenager , I could care less about at least 50% of the tech on these new cars and would be just as happy if my 991 had a regular radio in place of the PCM screen. In fact, I would be even happier if Porsche would just make me a brand new 80's or 90's Carrera but that's for another thread.......

Last edited by limegreen; 09-06-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

With all of the negative comments about the spoiler, has anyone considered that it might have been designed that way to improve performance? Isn't that more important than how it looks in the raised position?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Well I'm 35 so I'd like to think I'm not THAT much older but I'm a full blown gear head , car nut and I've been driving / owning Porsche's as soon as I got my license at 16 , started with 944's , a ratty 911 Targa, a 928 and have come up through the 911 generations ( air and water cooled) right up to my 991.1. We are all extremely fortunate and I am very thankful of what I have.

Lately, though , I'd say within really the last 5 years the enthusiast car market has taken a serious nose dive and I find myself disagreeing more and more with the new car designs and this 992 is reaching for me, unforgivable levels of change that I do not think are for the best. Hopefully I'll be surprised and proven wrong but with nearly 20 years of experience in the auto industry I can see the writing on the wall the same as I have with every other brand that has lost it's way over the years.

The main problem here is that Porsche along with many other makes simply don't understand their US market for certain models which they incorrectly believe is made up of rich millennial's and techno lovers who go goo goo for technology overload. The truth is that the Porsche sports car market is made up of many more 40+ year old's who approach technology as I do with a " could take it or leave it " mentality. Many of whom find the tech overload extremely frustrating and over complicated in the same way that they view their smart phone as something that is as much an annoyance as it is a convenience. These same people also came to Porsche because of the history, classic styling and the cars they grew up loving that were far more focused in their purpose. I'm 35 and grew up without a cell phone until I was a teenager , I could care less about at least 50% of the tech on these new cars and would be just as happy if my 991 had a regular radio in place of the PCM screen. In fact, I would be even happier if Porsche would just make me a brand new 80's or 90's Carrera but that's for another thread.......
Rich millennials. HAH. You'll find less of those than unmodified MKIV Supras, or rust free 60s muscle cars.

And I say that as a young man, entirely deprecating my own generation.

I say cars need to focus on the drive, not the infotainment systems that distract from the real fun.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski

The main problem here is that Porsche along with many other makes simply don't understand their US market for certain models which they incorrectly believe is made up of rich millennial's and techno geeks who go goo goo for technology overload. The truth is that the Porsche sports car market is made up of many more 40+ year old's who approach technology as I do with a " could take it or leave it " mentality. Many of whom find the tech overload extremely frustrating and over complicated in the same way that they view their smart phone as something that is as much an annoyance as it is a convenience. These same people also came to Porsche because of the history, classic styling and the cars they grew up loving that were far more focused in their purpose. I'm 35 and grew up without a cell phone until I was a teenager , I could care less about at least 50% of the tech on these new cars and would be just as happy if my 991 had a regular radio in place of the PCM screen. In fact, I would be even happier if Porsche would just make me a brand new 80's or 90's Carrera but that's for another thread.......
I love tech. I have the latest products and keep them updated. I love new tech for the family car, too, and looking forward to an EV one day. But my sports car, I am with you with a few caveats - one being that I don't want to go back to a glove compartment full of maps. However, I would glad replace the PCM with a heads-up display.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I love tech. I have the latest products and keep them updated. I love new tech for the family car, too, and looking forward to an EV one day. But my sports car, I am with you with a few caveats - one being that I don't want to go back to a glove compartment full of maps. However, I would glad replace the PCM with a heads-up display.
An AC vent magnetic mount, and a smartphone.

Nav when you want it, clean dash when you don't.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:35 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
With all of the negative comments about the spoiler, has anyone considered that it might have been designed that way to improve performance? Isn't that more important than how it looks in the raised position?
Yes with an if, no with a but.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:37 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The I phone in my pocket is so much better than the lousy and cumbersome nav system in my 2015 991 that it isn't even fair. The problem with putting tech in cars is that it's outdated before the car has even hit the showroom floor. If they had a simple Bluetooth or USB screen mirroring system they could eliminate so much cost and complexity by just letting the user hook up their phone directly to the car.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by tgcrun

Sure, but again let's get realistic, base level 911's haven't had high speed stability problems in years and there are plenty of 911's screaming down the Autobahn and race tracks across the world with the "smaller" retractable spoilers. This new car is not likely to have a much higher top speed than the current generation so it's hard for me to see the justification for that horribly integrated design that kills the look of the car going down the highway. It's shameful how badly it breaks the rear quarter body line....

I also can not wait to see what an absolute joke the engine access will be like up top. The 991's access is already a comedy in itself and completely disrespectful to the owners and more importantly the technicians that have to work on them.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The rear spoiler opened up look hideous. Should have copy the Panemera Turbo. It's probably the same lenght now.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^^ Great reference pictures. Sometimes taking some nostalgic cues in design for the sake of doing it doesn't always pull it off. It's like they're going back in time for classic 911 design ideas for legitimacy, but mixing in design from the other current Porsche models (Panny, Cayenne, Macan). Potential for a HOT MESS.

If they were truly passionate about the 911, they would treat it as a stand alone model and not one that has to be an offspring of the other models in the Porsche line. The design inbreeding is bad and lazy design.
I think the 992 dash looks fine...
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm afraid there won't be a narrow body version anymore. Just one width for the Carrera's it seems.

One article had mentioned that the interior will have a little wider room as well.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The 992 spoiler is all function. When you look at from the back, you can tell the profile taking cues form the 959!!!

The downforce affects the entire surface area of the spoiler vs than before. You want the benefits from the new spoiler. And I am positive they will have some unique ducktail premium addon too.

I know I am getting the 992 (I still hate the shaver gear...even if I am getting it...ugh...still gonna get it)

Lol..just imagine we are all getting the new and improved "959" lol. I still can't believe that car had it all way back then....

See the images

Name:  1J4z3Kp.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  8swpJTu.jpg
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  DhiUoo9.jpg
Size:  23.3 KB
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

In think we're really grasping on the similarities to the 959. I'm not seeing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE