Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

 
Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 AM
  #196  
randr
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,350
Default

I'm a great fan of buttons/switches - binary - on or off

Have a look at the cockpit of a plane - lots of switches and buttons - why? to minimise error and distraction
randr is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
  #197  
captainkirk
User
 
captainkirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere in Space....the final frontier
Posts: 673
Default

I like the rims, are those new? See even they are not testing with CL
captainkirk is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
  #198  
rk-d
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rk-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,722
Default

Agree with all the criticisms. Another issue is glare from the highly reflective surface. There are probably real manufacturer benefits from an infinitely programmable and modular interface. There need to be some select hardware buttons for certain functions which may require input on the fly -- ie volume, climate control, radio tuning, Hazards, PASM, PDCC, PSE. Done correctly, this kind of thing can look awesome.


rk-d is online now  
Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 PM
  #199  
MrFarenheit
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Default

The more I study the spy shots, the more I get the feeling they mounted mismatched wheels for a reason: to disguise the fact they are going to the larger 21" rear setup as first used on the RS.
MrFarenheit is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
  #200  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 8,471
Default

Originally Posted by MrFarenheit View Post
The more I study the spy shots, the more I get the feeling they mounted mismatched wheels for a reason: to disguise the fact they are going to the larger 21" rear setup as first used on the RS.
I strongly doubt they'd go to a 21" rear on the plain jane 911.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM
  #201  
digistyl3
User
 
digistyl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: ZŘrich, Switzerland
Posts: 93
Default

What's wrong with evolving the existing 991 platform?

Regarding Panamera buttons: they are not just some capacitive sensors, but click and are very tactile. However, they don't have a "ridge" like regular buttons, so they may require more attention while driving. I didn't drive one.
The interior is extremely streamlined and high quality. I'm sure the 992 interpretation of it will be superb.

I recently got into a 991, and I can't complain about the interior, it's a very nice place to be
digistyl3 is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM
  #202  
justabout
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 329
Default

Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Good article. My thoughts exactly. We are surely supposed to be looking at the road ahead basically all the time whilst driving aren't we?
if they could use a heads up display to show what your finger is touching, that would work. Another opportunity for for the options list.
justabout is offline  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 PM
  #203  
simplex
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 213
Default

Originally Posted by digistyl3 View Post
What's wrong with evolving the existing 991 platform?
It's too big. I personally would like the 911 to become more compact.
I know it won't happen, but since you've asked, here you go.
simplex is offline  
Old 02-21-2017, 12:54 AM
  #204  
Bemo
User
 
Bemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 1,577
Default

Originally Posted by virage View Post
It's too big. I personally would like the 911 to become more compact.
I know it won't happen, but since you've asked, here you go.
I, too, would like to see a step towards size (length+weight) reductions. We have regulation, safety systems, and the relentless desire for creature comforts, to thank for the ongoing increases.

Couple of years ago, I watched a BMW-specific car program during which the presenter claimed that human species are growing which also necessitates that cars follow suite. While you can insert your favorite "America is fat" joke here, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the dual "GTS" personality of our 911 and hope that the 992 delivers the goods and then some.
Bemo is offline  
Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 AM
  #205  
Churchill
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by virage View Post
It's too big. I personally would like the 911 to become more compact.
I know it won't happen, but since you've asked, here you go.
Same here. I have a couple of air-cooled 911's and this is my biggest complaint about the 991. The older cars are like wearing a glove.

Re the interior. I spend enough time on a smartphone -- don't want my car to feel like I'm driving one. Yikes.
Churchill is offline  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM
  #206  
NoGaBiker
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 3,069
Default

Surprisingly (to myself at least) I disagree about the size. Surprising because I never thought to complain about the smallness of previous 911s, so why do I think the 991 is a good size? I was a hater in theory when it was revealed that it would be a couple inches longer and have a 4" longer wheelbase. And I put off even test driving one till late 2014.

But in practice, I don't find that the size has any practical negatives -- compared to how the otherwise exactly same car would be if it was 2" shorter (or 4" shorter). What I mean is, with the suspension and tire tech and computerized assists the 991 sports, it's never going to feel like a 964 in the handling department. And if you're not going to enjoy the quirky "alive beneath your fingers" feel of an old 911 on relatively skinny/slippery tires anyway, why not take advantage of the comfort of the greater size?

I had a 986S (my only Boxster) that was a great car but was always a tad too small, even though it was bigger than earlier 911s. But that was primarily because of limitations to the seat travel because of the bulkhead right behind me.
NoGaBiker is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 AM
  #207  
STG
Super User
Thread Starter
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 13,500
Default

STG is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 AM
  #208  
NoGaBiker
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midtown Atlanta
Posts: 3,069
Default

Hmmm... I've never seen that winter testing before. Must be a new EU requirement.
NoGaBiker is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM
  #209  
Norsk
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Norsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesnowta / Amelia Island
Posts: 584
Default

Trailer was "caught by the wind". Uh huh.
Norsk is offline  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM
  #210  
Hurricane
Super User
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,444
Default

Hurricane is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: