2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS - Page 218 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
atombomb33
User

Originally Posted by STG View Post
Yeah, I've been kinda hard on the new one as well. I guess someone should start a 992 train wreck venting thread to voice those opinions. There are alot of guys who have interest in this car who stay silent and just look for updates here. They just aren't the vocal group. I think we should all try and keep it a bit more open minded until we know more and see it in person and get some seat time.

Good to have some discussion and comparisons, but no need to have 10 posts saying essentially the same thing
Well said. Thank you for posting that.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Archimedes
Super User

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
You missed my point. The 964 -> 993 and 996 -> 997 examples I gave are similar in transition from 991 -> 992: Wider, new interior, advertised as 'all new' but really based on the previous generation platform, and comprehensively better cars overall.

Wait until you see the car in person, undisguised, before making claims that they **** the bed...
I'm still missing your point. The 993/997's were better cars than the 964/996's not just because of performance, but because they were way better looking, particularly in the 964>993 transition. What we have going on in the 991>992 transition is more akin to the 993>996 than it is to the 996>997.

This morning commuting in I was in stop and go traffic next to a 718 Cayman S and I can tell you, it looks just as much the awful hot mess as it did in the initial spy pics. Porsche designers appear to be going down a strange path. Almost like they've mashed together the Porsche, Audi, VW, Lamborghini design teams.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
slc4s
User

Yup. Always need to replace ones who drop out and increase market share. Agree.

The "911 poster on the wall" group aren't the target market anymore.
Funny you should say that. I grew up with a Porsche 959 poster over my bed as a kid. I'm 36 now and the 992 will likely be the first non-used porsche that I purchase. So maybe its the 959 poster generation's turn to start buying these babies
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
subshooter
Super User

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Yet the other thing you hear even more often is people go ape over great looking Porsche's. To just wave away the fact that the aesthetics of the 911 are a huge reason why people buy these cars over others is burying your head in the sand. If by 'every respect' you mean performance, I'm sure you're right. If you include design, I'd beg to differ. The car will be awesome and it'll sell to a lot of new buyers and Chinese, but all that still won't make it anything but an ugly car. I'm not sure why you're surprised that Porsche 911 fanatics might not take to this car.
That's why there is a secondary market. Feel free to buy a 993/997/991. Plenty out there.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Super User

Originally Posted by subshooter View Post
That's why there is a secondary market. Feel free to buy a 993/997/991. Plenty out there.
Exactly my thoughts, though I'm much more likely to buy a GT3, new or used, if I ever buy another Porsche sports car.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Super User

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
I'm still missing your point...

What we have going on in the 991>992 transition is more akin to the 993>996 than it is to the 996>997.
If you are referring to your own opinions of design, perhaps. I am no fan of the 996, either...while I think the 996 GT3 is one of the best 911s ever made, I would never own one because I can't stand looking at them. But as I'm sure you know the 996 shared, what, the hood badge with the 993 and not one other part? The 997 was an evolution of the 996 platform, just as the 992 is an evolution of the 991 platform (and the 993 an evolution of the 964).
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any 992 BASHING can take place in the new thread

Let's keep things warm and fuzzy here. Only new updates, pics, and praise allowed here.

The ultimate fighting and cracking skulls can happen there.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
atombomb33
User

Any 992 BASHING can take place in the new thread

Let's keep things warm and fuzzy here. Only new updates, pics, and praise allowed here.

The ultimate fighting and cracking skulls can happen there.
I think it's OK, and healthy for all of us, to have some debate in this thread . That's the beauty of car forums. It's great that you started this thread and have kept updating the first page with all new pics and updates. Thank you. You've sort of become the defacto moderator for this thread

What was weighing on a good number of people who visit this thread is the constant posts over and over again from a select group of forum members that say the same (or similar) thing each time, just worded differently. It clogs up the thread...making it harder for everyone to find relevant info. The entire forum knows where they stand, no need for them to tell us for the 100th time
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
hlvg
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the meantime I am more than excited that it looks like the 992 GT3 will remain NA.
I cannot wait to see what it will look, sound & perform like
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
limegreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s View Post
Funny you should say that. I grew up with a Porsche 959 poster over my bed as a kid. I'm 36 now and the 992 will likely be the first non-used porsche that I purchase. So maybe its the 959 poster generation's turn to start buying these babies
Please don't include me in that one.... I'm a little younger than you and the 991.1 is likely to be the last 911 generation I ever purchase.

I'll admit though that I was never that much of a 959 fan... I thought it was needlessly over complicated.
Old Today, 12:16 AM
OldJedi
User

This morning commuting in I was in stop and go traffic next to a 718 Cayman S and I can tell you, it looks just as much the awful hot mess as it did in the initial spy pics. Porsche designers appear to be going down a strange path. Almost like they've mashed together the Porsche, Audi, VW, Lamborghini design teams.
Interesting, full disclosure Iím not a Porsche Officianado like the majority you on this forum. I do not have years of experience driving the same cars you have been driving for years. No, my experience goes back with Corvettes which I have owned since the mid 70ís. My Porsche experience started when I bought my wife her 718 Boxster in January of 2017. I read all the forums and the opinions of how the the 718 was a horrible car compared to their beloved six cylinder 981. Even though the 718 was better in every comparison except the sound.

After driving her Boxster for a year I sold my beloved 1967 Corvette Coupe that I owned for 18 years and bought a 718 Cayman GTS and Iím not looking back. I truly enjoy this car every time I drive her. In reading this segment of the forum, it is interesting to read the same comments 991 and previous year owners have for the 992 model. Maybe because Iím still an outsider compared to long time Porsche owners, plus not having ever owned a 911, makes my words quickly dismissed. However, it is still strange to me how the 992 is being ripped by other Porsche owners on a car that has not even been debuted yet. It is also strange to me how the 718 is also quickly dismissed, as stated above, by 911 owners even though it is regarded by many magazines and videos as one of the best handling cars in the world. My GTS makes me feel happy every time I fire her up. Isnít that what a premium sports car is supposed to do? Iím pretty sure the 992 will be a Porsche in every way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: