Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
One of the articles mentioned they went with the "METROSEXUAL ****" (my quote) to make room for the big gulp cup holder?? Mentioned it was plastic like ..

Gone is the beefy, manly shifter with aluminum and leather.

Attachment 1293659
The lever itself is basically vestigial nowadays, they could easily just make it a small dial or R/N/D buttons.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
One of the articles mentioned they went with the "METROSEXUAL ****" (my quote) to make room for the big gulp cup holder?? Mentioned it was plastic like ..

Gone is the beefy, manly shifter with aluminum and leather.

Attachment 1293659
i have refrained myself from making judgements on the new car, but god that looks horrendous. that whole dash looks like its pulled straight out of a generic car from the 'luxury' sedan segment. i really hope it doesn't make it into the final car somehow
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
i have refrained myself from making judgements on the new car, but god that looks horrendous. that whole dash looks like its pulled straight out of a generic car from the 'luxury' sedan segment. i really hope it doesn't make it into the final car somehow

Name:  photo52.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  246.2 KB

Take it all in. It's here to stay ...

Name:  photo442.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  378.7 KB

Name:  photo762.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  579.5 KB

Name:  photo751.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  627.5 KB

Last edited by STG; 10-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:13 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Hmmm. So in summary - a questionable exterior redesign and cheaper interior materials - with a 10%-15% bump in base price for the privilege?

I’ve been on the fence til now while looking for reasons to believe, but after that article am feeling confident in my ‘19 GTS being delivered in a few weeks.
You must be out of your mind to buy a 991 now. You are focusing on superficial things and missing what matters:
- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality
- Better steering and turn in experience
- Better turbo system with less lag

Yet all you care about is the shape and the interior finishes. Maybe you should drive a Bentley.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
You must be out of your mind to buy a 991 now. You are focusing on superficial things and missing what matters:
- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality

Yet all you care about is the shape and the interior finishes. Maybe you should drive a Bentley.

I'm one who disagrees. I have a Nov build for a 991 and have decided to stay with it. I prefer the look of the 991 (even though I think the 992 will look great as well), and I prefer the interior (although I realize the 991 interior will soon feel "vintage").

And, this is a daily driver for me - I will never take it to the track. The current car more than exceeds my performance expectations and abilities. Take all that into account, and add on a 15% cost increase, and as much as I think the 992 will be an awesome car, I am very happy with my decision to go with a 991.2.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality

may be wait for the 992.2 which surely will be better than 992, never mind what one likes
Old 10-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by STG

awesome, I am sharing these and tagging porsche
Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
awesome, I am sharing these and tagging porsche

Name:  photo472.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  378.7 KB

Name:  photo155.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  668.6 KB

Name:  photo762.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  647.4 KB
Old 10-12-2018, 06:29 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality

Everything you are citing as an improvement is noteworthy for sure but likely will be proven to be nothing more than fractional performance gains most of which will be imperceptible to even the average enthusiast.

What we are arguing about here are MASSIVE dramatic and instantly perceivable changes, mainly to the interior and some on the exterior of the vehicle. The visual and tactile interaction with a road car is extremely important and if you think that doesn't play a huge factor in owning a Porsche then perhaps you should drive an Ariel Atom.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I can't get over the Black Hole of Cupholda. That's got to be the most passive-aggressive design element I've ever seen in a car.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:18 PM
991.1 C4S
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This from the Autocar article: "The updated engine doesn’t give any hints of being a turbocharged unit at all. The sound engineering is superb, imbuing the interior with a near-precise replication of the original air-cooled engines of earlier 911 models, both at lower speeds and when travelling on more open roads."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...2019-prototype

First observations that I have read regarding the engine sound.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

The interior of 992 is just lame. I don't even drink in my car, let alone needing a bigger cup holder. Might as well take the shifter away from the center column if that's what Porsche think is cool. Now where is the center arm rest. Yes, I don't need it while holding onto the steering wheel with both hands on the track, but surely on any stretch of long distance, I wouldn't want my right arm dangling around like a spider monkey. The 992 has more Panamera genes than the 911 blood line and at this point I have to say it is a half-bake (***) job.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

- Better traction
- More cornering grip
- Faster PDK
- Better ride quality

Or perhaps if all you care about is performance then you should buy a Radical SR3

Originally Posted by Thinc2
And, this is a daily driver for me - I will never take it to the track. The current car more than exceeds my performance expectations and abilities. Take all that into account, and add on a 15% cost increase, and as much as I think the 992 will be an awesome car, I am very happy with my decision to go with a 991.2.
Agreed.

Me? I'm looking for a complete, integrated package with performance, a nice-to-look-at exterior, and an interior that is well designed from a human factors standpoint. For a car that is not exclusively a track-toy it is the latter than provides a very large part of the overall experience of a car. You don't see the exterior at all when you are driving. On the street you get to use no more than a fraction of the performance most of the time. It's the interior that you touch, see and have to operate. If the interior design or materials suck, if the interior is annoying, or functions poorly the performance and exterior will not matter; you'll hate the car. I don't care how well a car performs or how stunning it looks, if the purpose of the car is to be a 'car' and not purely a track-toy, C&C attention seeker or garage art, then it must have a pleasing interior based upon a form-follows-function design and not a function-follows-form design which is what the Panamera, 992 and forthcoming next-gen Porsches have or will have.

I like the digital dash concept. Execution - i.e. the embedded software of the cluster - is something I'll reserve judgement on. But, the visuals of the new interior are ... ugly. The haptic interface is more difficult to use while driving than buttons. The shaver... I don't care about one way or the other. But, it is ugly. The dash is ugly. It's all just... ugly and targeted at the touch-screen generation that's more interested in gadgets and icons than the are in things that 'just work' in an exemplary fashion.

Fine. I'm now officially and old fart I guess. I think I have a year, maybe two, to order a 718 with the 'old fart' human interface before it get's the smart-phone-generation redesign.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:52 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 C4S
This from the Autocar article: "The updated engine doesn’t give any hints of being a turbocharged unit at all. The sound engineering is superb, imbuing the interior with a near-precise replication of the original air-cooled engines of earlier 911 models, both at lower speeds and when travelling on more open roads."
I will bet that in this context "sound engineering" means the sound system's speakers are used to pipe-in N.A. flat-6 sounds. We've got fake exhaust tips coming, so why not fake engine sounds too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE