Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
Thanks for getting this thread back on topic.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I wonder if that's truly a 992 turbo or a decoy bodywork on a normal 911. Seems mighty early to come out with a turbo prototype.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like! Definitely a turbo model.

The broken (sections) rear lights really bother me on the 992.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I wonder if that's truly a 992 turbo or a decoy bodywork on a normal 911. Seems mighty early to come out with a turbo prototype.
Porsche's always been secretive, especially when it comes to the Turbo's styling. Not to mention the GT3's. Or the RS's. Or any of the other Porsches. I'm sure you will agree.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the styling cues that are visible in the 992 spy shots - yuck, yuck, and more yuck. The bulkier rear end, no doubt enlarged to accommodate more monstrous HP engines into the future, doesn't suit the platform's proportions well at all. The new wing, when deployed, is God-awful, making the already larger rear end expand into a downright design sacrilege. The rear tail light section's odd step/edge design, reminiscent of the 718, really destroys the 911's overall smooth, soft, flowing cohesion that received so much praise in the 991. The new larger bug-eyed front lights, appear to have been put there to disguise and somehow diminish the new bulkier appearance but it's not working well at all and feels like Porsche is going backward, not forward, on the evolutionary design language of the 911. The notched out hood from the windshield down, resurrected from the 911's 1960-1998 well over used hood scoop design lines, clashes with the new modern evolutionary track Porsche has been on of late and screams a lack of confidence in the more recent direction and exudes a lack of new ideas for design language for the future. Some things are better left in the past and that's one of them. The straight cut line across the front of the hood edge will not be the final production hood, as clearly evidenced by the soft indicator lines of where those body panel lines will be, which is good at least.

On the interior, seeing digital gauge faces wreaks of a a weak Audi "me too" story. I love real gauges, especially in a Porsche, where the raw, visceral, man & mechanical symbiotic experience of the drive come to life. Real gauges connect with our inherent fascination of mechanical ingenuity in a subconscious visual sense and pay subtle, yet tasteful and appropriate homage to the 911's history without staying stuck in the past.

With the latest triumph in design direction with the 991, I sure hope Porsche keeps things moving the in right direction but it looks like the 991 may go down in Porsche history as one of those classic designs sought after far from now.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by viseman
I love real gauges, especially in a Porsche, where the raw, visceral, man & mechanical symbiotic experience of the drive come to life. Real gauges connect with our inherent fascination of mechanical ingenuity in a subconscious visual sense and pay subtle, yet tasteful and appropriate homage to the 911's history without staying stuck in the past.
I hate to tell you this, but cars (Porsches too) haven't had 'real' analogue gauges in more than a decade despite the appearance of such. All these 'analogue' gauges have a computer between the sender and the dial display. The computer adds a dead-band around whatever are the normal operation extents of the signal to keep the needle 'in the middle' unless the sender indicates a measurement outside of the normal operating band.

Case in point are the engine water temperature gauges that read - for example - '195' as long as the temp is between 185 and 205.

These dead bands were added because dealers got tired of trying to explain why a 205 degree engine temperature is fine on a hot day with the A/C at full blast while 185 is normal when driving on the highway in winter.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

From the styling cues that are visible in the 992 spy shots - yuck, yuck, and more yuck. The bulkier rear end, no doubt enlarged to accommodate more monstrous HP engines into the future, doesn't suit the platform's proportions well at all. The new wing, when deployed, is God-awful, making the already larger rear end expand into a downright design sacrilege. The rear tail light section's odd step/edge design, reminiscent of the 718, really destroys the 911's overall smooth, soft, flowing cohesion that received so much praise in the 991. The new larger bug-eyed front lights, appear to have been put there to disguise and somehow diminish the new bulkier appearance but it's not working well at all and feels like Porsche is going backward, not forward, on the evolutionary design language of the 911. The notched out hood from the windshield down, resurrected from the 911's 1960-1998 well over used hood scoop design lines, clashes with the new modern evolutionary track Porsche has been on of late and screams a lack of confidence in the more recent direction and exudes a lack of new ideas for design language for the future. Some things are better left in the past and that's one of them. The straight cut line across the front of the hood edge will not be the final production hood, as clearly evidenced by the soft indicator lines of where those body panel lines will be, which is good at least.

On the interior, seeing digital gauge faces wreaks of a a weak Audi "me too" story. I love real gauges, especially in a Porsche, where the raw, visceral, man & mechanical symbiotic experience of the drive come to life. Real gauges connect with our inherent fascination of mechanical ingenuity in a subconscious visual sense and pay subtle, yet tasteful and appropriate homage to the 911's history without staying stuck in the past.

With the latest triumph in design direction with the 991, I sure hope Porsche keeps things moving the in right direction but it looks like the 991 may go down in Porsche history as one of those classic designs sought after far from now.
Very agreed about the gauges. The appearance of analogue goes an extremely long (and timeless) way.

However, the straight hood cut line is indeed the actual new line. The rounded 991-esque line is in fact the fakeout.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

What I been saying, and more.

I will until proven wrong continue to believe the dog crap they have been showing us is meant to mislead. Porsche psy-ops. They are after all quite good at that.

The 997 GTS came out just before the 991 and for a few weeks was the best-looking 911. So good in fact I still recall walking around one knowing the 991 was coming and having a hard time imagining how they could possibly make it any better. Then they went and made the most beautiful 911 ever. No contest. Blows me away anyone thinks ANYTHING has ever looked this good! So good in fact Porsche has not to date been able to improve it.

That was Michael Mauer, who I believe is still in charge, so we have at least a reasonable chance of seeing, if not another home run then at least a solid hit. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe Mauer has moved up to head VW Group design. I agree wholeheartedly, the 991.1 is a beautiful design. The lines of the car flow from the center outward. Very graceful. I read somewhere recently from Porsche in describing the design of the 991.2 that the .1 "went too far" or something to that effect. The 991.2's lines flow from the outside inward creating a more aggressive stance. Very nice but very different. For some reason I think of the 991.1 the equivalent of a greyhound in the dog world and the 991.2 more like a bulldog. Both nice, both different. When you look at a photo of Mauer, he looks slim and trim as does his 991.1 design. I don't believe he was head designer for the 991.2, but could be wrong. I will bet that the 992 will be more in line with an aggressive look than a graceful one. Whatever it is we will end up liking it.

Last edited by porscherex; 04-24-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty sure Mauer is still at Porsche, besides being head of design at VW, and overlooking the designs of all current Porsche models including 911, 718, Panamera, Macan, Cayenne and Mission E.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...vie-12252.html
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ner-13372.html
https://christophorus.porsche.com/en...ars-14772.html

And he isn't solely responsible for designing a car at Porsche, for example:
"Peter Varga (born 1978) has been Head of Exterior Design at Porsche since 2016. Born in Hungary, Varga graduated from Pforzheim Technical College in Transportation Design. He has been working as a designer for Porsche since 2014. The current styling of the Panamera, the 718 product line and the 911 Carrera all come under his responsibility."
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/annu...ure-14993.html
Old 04-25-2018, 08:35 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for articles.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So far so ugly, the 991.1 may be the last 911 that looks like a 911.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,137 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
So far so ugly, the 991.1 may be the last 911 that looks like a 911.
LOL. Everyone says that about the next generation.

....actually not everyone....just a very small minority.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Yes but it is a very vocal minority! Whatever they do with the 992 its a sure bet it will be nothing compared to what they did with the 996. But this goes back a lot further. Talking about it back in 2000 it was made clear to me the 996 changes and reaction were nothing- NOTHING!- compared to when they replaced the hand-made 356 with the 911. I said hey its faster, better handling, and what about iconic features like the sound the door makes? Pshaw! You have to slam it! The 356 door closes like a bank vault! Now THAT'S a door!

The more things change....
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes but it is a very vocal minority! Whatever they do with the 992 its a sure bet it will be nothing compared to what they did with the 996. But this goes back a lot further. Talking about it back in 2000 it was made clear to me the 996 changes and reaction were nothing- NOTHING!- compared to when they replaced the hand-made 356 with the 911. I said hey its faster, better handling, and what about iconic features like the sound the door makes? Pshaw! You have to slam it! The 356 door closes like a bank vault! Now THAT'S a door!

The more things change....
So says the man who does not own a 911.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE