Sponsored by:

Best performance on canyon type roads

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Best performance on canyon type roads

I know this topic is all over rennlist, but here is a little different angle on the question. My primary drives are over the weekend on twisty California roads. I don't want a track setting for my tire pressure, but I want the handling that comes with a firmer setting than what is required for long highway drives. Suggestions?
Old Today, 02:49 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Are you looking for tyre pressure recommendation?
I frequent Skyline Blvd abs Highway 9 in NorCal once a week or 10 days, doing very spirited runs a few times each visit.
On my GTS with RAS and PDCC, I've found 31F and 36R on cold tyres gives me the best feedback and grip. Ride comfort is good too. After a spirited run on a 72° day, the pressures typically settle around 34-35F and 38-40R
Edit: this is on Goodyears.
Old Today, 04:09 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,270 Posts

To find your "best" tire pressures will take a bit of work some tools and the help of a friend. Drive your favorite road, lots and lots of times. At your turn-around points you'll want to have a friend or friends each with a Tire Pyrometer as well as a shared Air Tank with an Air Compressor. The goal is to read the tire tread surface temperatures of each of the four tires in three places: Inside, Middle and the Outside. You want to do this as soon as humanly possible when the car stops. You want to repeat your "run" several times to get a good set of data. What you want to see or get to is, as even a tire temperature in a straight line across the face of the tire tread as possible. In this example, with all other variables as constant as possible, you will want to adjust the tire pressures in order to get as close to an even temperature across each tire face as you can. Change anything on the car such as the alignment, the suspension or with the wheels or the tires and you will need/want to recheck this.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (Today)
Old Today, 05:01 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

The unfortunately named "Comfort Pressures" is the correct answer in my experience. From the way that you worded your post, I'm guessing that you were looking for something that felt firmer because firmer = sporty. But ultimately you won't be able to go fast without traction and your tires won't have traction if they're skipping all over the broken pavement that we have out here.
zachr (Today)
Old Today, 07:09 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
Are you looking for tyre pressure recommendation?
I frequent Skyline Blvd abs Highway 9 in NorCal once a week or 10 days, doing very spirited runs a few times each visit.
On my GTS with RAS and PDCC, I've found 31F and 36R on cold tyres gives me the best feedback and grip. Ride comfort is good too. After a spirited run on a 72° day, the pressures typically settle around 34-35F and 38-40R
Edit: this is on Goodyears.
Thanks very much. I am guessing this falls in the "comfort setting" range.
Old Today, 08:29 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I’ve been running 30f/33r cold and have been liking it so far. On pirelli pzero corsas
TimD (Today)
Old Today, 10:01 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 48 Posts

30/33 at 79 degrees are the pressures that work the best on my S!

Quick Reply: Best performance on canyon type roads