Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Curb Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 12:33 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The issue with your argument that 379 hp is too much for a public road is that it is subjective to each person. It depends on the driver, the road and use of the vehicle. Your assertion might be true for you but not for everyone. And if your argument was 100% correct, all the companies that provide aftermarket tunes would cease to exist.
I still think/thought that the "T", with the GTS turbos upgrade, is/was the best bang for buck (at least prior to the '23 price increases...haven't run the new numbers) for the "performance driving enthusiast", looking for the "sportiest" 911. Supposedly I would have been able to get one sans ADM, and there wasn't a list when the specs were released, per the SA where I bought my GT4. Haven't heard from him since however.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:54 PM
ctramsey
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The issue with your argument that 379 hp is too much for a public road is that it is subjective to each person. It depends on the driver, the road and use of the vehicle. Your assertion might be true for you but not for everyone. And if your argument was 100% correct, all the companies that provide aftermarket tunes would cease to exist.
I'm thinking you're referring to the previous post I was responding to here (?), as what you say is in agreement with the point I made--that the roads and other environmental factors, and, of course, the driver, too, all differ greatly, and what might be too much (or too little) power isn't simply an x power = "too much" equation--though it's probably reasonable to say there's a limit to that variability on the extreme of both ends all possible power outputs....
Old 04-03-2023, 02:06 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,466 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Does anyone know the 992 wheelset weights?

Meaning tire and wheel combo together, front and back?
Old 04-03-2023, 03:23 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I still think/thought that the "T", with the GTS turbos upgrade, is/was the best bang for buck (at least prior to the '23 price increases...haven't run the new numbers) for the "performance driving enthusiast", looking for the "sportiest" 911. Supposedly I would have been able to get one sans ADM, and there wasn't a list when the specs were released, per the SA where I bought my GT4. Haven't heard from him since however.
992 S/GTS have the same turbos...GTS runs at a higher PSI (16 vs 18.6 IIRC), so only two different turbos in the Carrera line-up and nothing different other than boost on these two. That being stated, a GTS is different car than an S is. The problem is, most people want the GTS and option the crap out of it making it uber-expensive and IMHO eliminating the true value proposition of making it a real dual-purpose type machine by ramping the price up to $200k with all kinds of silly nonsense. Since us mere mortals can't order a GT3, a track-focused GTS is the next thing down the ladder... but it seems supply issues are hurting that effort with the lightweight package going away, aerokit, LWB etc... etc...
Old 04-03-2023, 03:34 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by james6speed
992 S/GTS have the same turbos...GTS runs at a higher PSI (16 vs 18.6 IIRC), so only two different turbos in the Carrera line-up and nothing different other than boost on these two. That being stated, a GTS is different car than an S is. The problem is, most people want the GTS and option the crap out of it making it uber-expensive and IMHO eliminating the true value proposition of making it a real dual-purpose type machine by ramping the price up to $200k with all kinds of silly nonsense. Since us mere mortals can't order a GT3, a track-focused GTS is the next thing down the ladder... but it seems supply issues are hurting that effort with the lightweight package going away, aerokit, LWB etc... etc...
A GTS with RAS does most of the weight reduction that lightweight package would do. According to Porsche, the lightweight battery that comes with RAS saves 32 lb* by itself.

*Edited to fix the number.

Last edited by SS22; 04-03-2023 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
james6speed (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 04:01 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by james6speed
I say "GTS" as OEM tune/hp is different than S, and 991 turbos had different port/wheel sizes. Either way, I'd want at least 500-550hp at the crank after all was said and done, and even if going with a 992 gen T, "my spec" would be under $150k, after turbo upgrade.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Does anyone know the 992 wheelset weights?

Meaning tire and wheel combo together, front and back?
I’ve looked everywhere and it seems nobody has weighed them yet. Piecing all the various bits of information I found, my best approximation is ~27 f and ~32r for S wheels. Maybe ~2lbs/wheel less for the SD wheels and ~2lbs/wheel more for the Spyders. Tire depends on brand.
tourenwagen (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 06:41 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,362 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
A GTS with RAS does most of the weight reduction that lightweight package would do. According to Porsche, the lightweight battery that comes with RAS saves 25kg by itself.
According to Porsche the Li-ion battery saves 32lb/14.5kg:

New lithium-ion lightweight starter battery
Lighter, more powerful, faster: the 911 Turbo S is equipped as standard with a lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4). The new battery offers higher voltage stability and lower internal resistance in comparison with a conventional lead battery. For the driver, this translates into shorter response times and an improved auto start/stop function. Even when the battery charge level is low, the higher performance of the new power store also enables much longer operation of energy-consuming and electric on-board vehicle systems, such as the sound system, with the combustion engine switched off. This means fuel-saving stop phases can be activated more frequently. The LiFePO4 battery has a service life which is up to 2.5 times longer than lead-acid batteries and offers up to seven-times higher cycle stability. Thanks to the advanced battery technology and power density, 20 per cent less space is needed and the weight of the on-board battery is reduced by more than half, from 60 pounds to 28 pounds. These features made it possible to reduce the 95 Ah capacity of a conventional lead-acid battery to 60 Ah for the LiFePO4 battery.

https://press.porsche.com/download/p...1&previewpdf=1 (page 11)

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-03-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:43 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
According to Porsche the Li-ion battery saves 32lb/14.5kg:

New lithium-ion lightweight starter battery
Lighter, more powerful, faster: the 911 Turbo S is equipped as standard with a lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4). The new battery offers higher voltage stability and lower internal resistance in comparison with a conventional lead battery. For the driver, this translates into shorter response times and an improved auto start/stop function. Even when the battery charge level is low, the higher performance of the new power store also enables much longer operation of energy-consuming and electric on-board vehicle systems, such as the sound system, with the combustion engine switched off. This means fuel-saving stop phases can be activated more frequently. The LiFePO4 battery has a service life which is up to 2.5 times longer than lead-acid batteries and offers up to seven-times higher cycle stability. Thanks to the advanced battery technology and power density, 20 per cent less space is needed and the weight of the on-board battery is reduced by more than half, from 60 pounds to 28 pounds. These features made it possible to reduce the 95 Ah capacity of a conventional lead-acid battery to 60 Ah for the LiFePO4 battery.

https://press.porsche.com/download/p...1&previewpdf=1 (page 11)
Not sure how to square that with this:

The service life of the lithium iron phosphate battery is 2.5 times that of a conventional lead-acid battery, but it only weighs approximately a third as much, at 12.75 kilograms.”

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/9...weight-package

So the regular battery weighs about 38.25kg and the lithium iron phosphate battery weights 12.75kg, no?
Old 04-03-2023, 08:04 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Not sure how to square that with this:

The service life of the lithium iron phosphate battery is 2.5 times that of a conventional lead-acid battery, but it only weighs approximately a third as much, at 12.75 kilograms.”

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/9...weight-package

So the regular battery weighs about 38.25kg and the lithium iron phosphate battery weights 12.75kg, no?
I’ll take hard numbers like 60lb and 28lb before a vague “approximately one third” .
Old 04-03-2023, 08:05 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 543 Posts

38kg is 88 pounds, no way a regular AGM battery weighs anywhere near 88 pounds. You'd need two people to lift it and position it into the tray when replacing it. It doesn't even weigh 60 pounds, unless this is some kind of "jumbo" battery, I must have replaced 20 batteries myself over the years, none of them weighed anywhere near 60 pounds. They weigh about 40 pounds.

Last edited by nyca; 04-03-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:44 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

That makes more sense. The standard battery is probably around 45 pounds while lithium-ion battery is around 15.

Does anyone know how much the RAS system weighs?
Old 04-03-2023, 08:53 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nyca
38kg is 88 pounds, no way a regular AGM battery weighs anywhere near 88 pounds. You'd need two people to lift it and position it into the tray when replacing it. It doesn't even weigh 60 pounds, unless this is some kind of "jumbo" battery, I must have replaced 20 batteries myself over the years, none of them weighed anywhere near 60 pounds. They weigh about 40 pounds.
Lookup the weight of 90~95 Ah Lead-Acid batteries, you'd be surprised .
Old 04-03-2023, 10:06 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

That makes more sense. The standard battery is probably around 45 pounds while lithium-ion battery is around 15.

Does anyone know how much the RAS system weighs?
Wrong, the Li-ion battery is 28lb.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:15 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Wrong, the Li-ion battery is 28lb.
You’re right, I’m getting really thrown off! Let me try to get all of this straight. Ok, we know the lightweight lithium-ion battery is 12.75 kg (per one Porsche statement) or 28 lb (per the other Porsche statement). That’s correct because 12.75 kg = 28.1 lb.

The regular battery is either 60 lb / 27 kg (per one Porsche statement) or 38 kg / 83 lb (per the other Porsche statement).

So the lightweight battery saves at least 32 lb.

Now, how much does the RAS system by itself add weight? I’m trying to see how much total the RAS option saves (it saves 32 lb because of the battery but then must add a little weight for the actual RAS).
ctramsey (04-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Curb Weight Reduction