Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargraphic Valve Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 04:05 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Also, keep in mind that there's no such thing as voiding "the" warranty. If you make modifications, then you could void the warranty on those related parts, but not the entire warranty. As said above, exhaust valve controllers could never void your HVAC warranty, or even your engine warranty since there's no way the valve being in the open position could cause engine damage any more than HVAC damage. Now, a tune is another story.
The following users liked this post:
SupremePower (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 09:09 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,565 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Also, keep in mind that there's no such thing as voiding "the" warranty. If you make modifications, then you could void the warranty on those related parts, but not the entire warranty. As said above, exhaust valve controllers could never void your HVAC warranty, or even your engine warranty since there's no way the valve being in the open position could cause engine damage any more than HVAC damage. Now, a tune is another story.
True under the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act. But You should expect a challenge by Porsche if you have any type of turbo warranty claim issue and you have modified the operation of the exhaust catback valves. I am sure Porsche can find a salaried engineer with a very impressive resume to testify as to causation……which is the dispositive issue

Last edited by Fullyield; 04-20-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:10 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,565 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by S911
Does anyone know if the cargraphic unit voids warranty?
excellent question, sir!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:11 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
True under the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act. But You should expect a challenge by Porsche if you have any type of turbo warranty claim issue and you have modified the operation of the exhaust catback valves. I am sure Porsche can find a salaried engineer with a very impressive resume to testify as tocausation.
Certainly that's a possibility. Of course, the ideal scenario is to unplug the Cargraphic before any warranty work is done, if at all possible. That, plus having a good rapport with your dealer.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:11 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
True under the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act. But You should expect a challenge by Porsche if you have any type of turbo warranty claim issue and you have modified the operation of the exhaust catback valves. I am sure Porsche can find a salaried engineer with a very impressive resume to testify as tocausation.
haha Magnussen Moss Act …good luck with that if you have any related mod in the car…Car manufacturers have deeper pockets than any of us.
Fullyield (04-22-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 08:57 AM
DocM
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 73 Posts

This will likely be my next mod. Really silly that Porsche muffles their own exhaust (some pun intended)! I just need to find a place that'll install it around here. Waiting to hear back from my SA if they'd do it for me. After that, no more tinkering with the car...
Old 04-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 818 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
haha Magnussen Moss Act …good luck with that if you have any related mod in the car…Car manufacturers have deeper pockets than any of us.
While I'm positive they do, the required arbitration process is completely free. On the board that makes the decision there is a civilian, an expert (mechanic or similar) and a lawyer. I have had no issue ever going through and winning arbitration without legal aid or expert testimony. It's an easy process, each side makes written statements and submit video/pics. the panel makes the decision, which is legally binding for the manufacturer, but not the consumer. My advice to people is to learn the process and your rights, not be scared to death of every little thing you do to your car. Yes, Porsche can and may initially deny your claim, but they will lose in arbitration, and it isn't some scary thing you need to be concerned about. Tune is definitely a different story tho. File a claim and 30-60 days later your car will be in the shop for warranty work. Go enjoy yourselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by 22992:
AdamIsAdam (04-21-2023), tourenwagen (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:15 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 22992
While I'm positive they do, the required arbitration process is completely free. On the board that makes the decision there is a civilian, an expert (mechanic or similar) and a lawyer. I have had no issue ever going through and winning arbitration without legal aid or expert testimony. It's an easy process, each side makes written statements and submit video/pics. the panel makes the decision, which is legally binding for the manufacturer, but not the consumer. My advice to people is to learn the process and your rights, not be scared to death of every little thing you do to your car. Yes, Porsche can and may initially deny your claim, but they will lose in arbitration, and it isn't some scary thing you need to be concerned about. Tune is definitely a different story tho. File a claim and 30-60 days later your car will be in the shop for warranty work. Go enjoy yourselves.
What type of claim did you overturn?
Old 04-21-2023, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
What type of claim did you overturn?
Odd transmission noises 2018 dodge ram- new 2019 Ram of same spec replacement
oil leak, 3rd brake light leak, rusting frame/bed buyback 2017 Tacoma
Old 04-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Not my experience - as soon as you have any performance altering modifications that can be somewhat connected to the failure they have leg to stand on. The valve controller is probably one you can argue it does nothing...but in general, if you have related mods (see my original post) you are on the loosing end.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Not my experience - as soon as you have any performance altering modifications that can be somewhat connected to the failure they have leg to stand on. The valve controller is probably one you can argue it does nothing...but in general, if you have related mods (see my original post) you are on the loosing end.
IDK..what I quoted is the law..there has be be proof of a direct causation, not a maybe but definitive proof the mod contributed to the failure. Which is why everyone ever will lose if they tune. The only thing they can. Deny warranty on with the valve controller are the valves. And you would probably win that if you fought it as long as the controller is still functioning and you can measure it’s output via a multimeter

Old 04-21-2023, 02:04 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

IDK..what I quoted is the law..there has be be proof of a direct causation, not a maybe but definitive proof the mod contributed to the failure. Which is why everyone ever will lose if they tune. The only thing they can. Deny warranty on with the valve controller are the valves. And you would probably win that if you fought it as long as the controller is still functioning and you can measure it’s output via a multimeter
agree that it should not cause any concerns just for this controller...also, not like tunes, you can unplug it w/o leaving any evidence behind.

On the general topic: I had my old car go through a similar issue and the dealer did much more than just deny warranty work. After my car was blacklisted by German HQ, they refused to service it et all w/o approval from German HQ every time. I was still in warranty period. Even a simple replacement of the trunk switch became an ordeal. Now, I could have taken it to a different shop (a dealer/shop that does not belong to the brand) but it just took the fun our of it to have all that hassle for a 3 year old car. I sold it and moved on.

Last edited by Tobeit; 04-21-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:40 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Has anyone installed the Carphraphic and used the Homelink in a 992 rather than the fob? I did this with my Cayman which has the older Homelink with physical buttons and it works great. I love not having to use the fob to adjust the valves. And since I only have one garage door programmed into the car, using the other two switches (one for open, one for close) works well. Will the 992 work the same way through the PCM?

@SupremePower can you confirm?
Old 04-21-2023, 08:31 PM
S911
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks the replies. I would probably just unplug it before any warranty work, although I wonder if they'd note the modification during any regular service..
Old 04-23-2023, 08:48 AM
DocM
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 73 Posts

Mine is on the way, dealer is mod friendly and agrees to install!
shrimp money (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Valve Control Unit