Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base base base 911. Too minimal? Request for comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 10:24 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Love the color and sports tex interior with P crest. Keep the 19/20s. Skip the folding mirrors, surround view, fancy glass.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
Yep! First 911, 3rd Pcar. Thanks, I do think I would enjoy 4+" of sidewall more than the 20/21 tire options though. Perhaps this is misguided.
I almost mentioned that in my reply, yes if you’re expecting some gravel surfaces then I’d keep it soft including the 19/20 inch wheels. The PPF brigade will be screaming ‘NO!’ at this whole concept of driving a 911 on loose surfaces but its your car and you know over 5 years in my 997 I never had any issues with gravel rash, and it certainly saw plenty of those roads. Maybe the 992 is a bit more exposed, my 997 was a ‘2S’ so narrrow rear end whereas the 992 of course is all wide-body. Ground clearance wasn’t a great issue, no worse than our non-SUV vehicles. Plus the underside is smooth and pretty well protected.

Last edited by aggie57; 03-22-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KG-Virus
In my opinion you should add :

1. Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
2. Bose Audio System
3. Surround View

otherwise your spec is great
Thank you! I will still likely skip on the power mirror (the hips are wide enough already that I am not worried about tight spaces) and the surround view (I don't like the look of camera it adds on the mirror housing.)

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Well, as an aspiring 992 buyer I've dabbled in the configurator like many of us 991.2 drivers...and these comments will not help you finalize your decision.

No memory seats? I find it's not the memory so much (I'm the only driver, my wife does not drive my car) as the comfort access feature. That plus the fact the car remembers all the radio, heat/AC, display and so forth settings in addition to the seats that make it very convenient. Anyway, I'd have that and the 14 ways over the 4 ways if it were up to me.

Bose is a no brainer, while the stock stereo is great, the Bose in my car is a big step up in power/wattage and number of speakers (9 vs. 4). I am obviously not sure if the same upgrade takes place in the 992, but if you are at all an audiophile and enjoy listening to music on trips I would definitely check that box.

I didn't see if you added the heated/cooled seats; but here in FL they are almost a requirement. Maybe in Northern Cali not so much; but if they are automatic in the 992, like on my wife's Lexus, that would be supercool. Lexus' implementation is almost seamless; the seats automatically come on with heat or air flow depending on ambient temperature as well as interior temperature setting. It works very well. Even if they are manual, I really like having them.

No adaptive cruise? With a PDK? I find ACC extremely helpful on trips and use it almost every time I drive her Lexus. The radar function of the car in station keeping works extremely well, in particular at night when vision is reduced. The car reacts faster than I can.

The Heritage Design Floor mats are a zero cost option, and might look good with your interior. At $0, maybe you want to look at these.

Another zero cost option you did not check is the "Storage Package". This adds a luggage net in the front passenger seat and storage area.

That's it as far as objective comments go.

As to subjective, you should order what you want. Having said that, there seem to be a lot of options on your list which don't, really, affect function, or you are not sure about. (Model designation delete, colored wheel caps, ionizer, ambient lighting (ok well at least that's functional) and crest on the headrests?). That all just seems like a bunch of doodads? If you want to reallocate money in the build, I would delete all that stuff for something more useful; personalization is not appealing to a base car buyer down the road and may make it a little harder to sell later. This is not a huge deal, obviously if you have thought about and really like these options, great, but I can tell you as a frequent buyer myself I look much more at the hard features (sunroof or lack, MT vs. PDK, etc.) that the little stuff in a pre-owned car.

Good luck!
Good eye. I've added those non-functional trinkets and doodads because I believe them to be in spirit of the older cars or the brand. The crests on the headrests is an example of this. The colored wheel caps - agreed, those can go.
I will indeed add Bose, based on the comments herein! Thank you for contributing to this decision. I didn't see the heritage design floor mats! However, I believe that requires you to add the package (while the option is 0, the package is 15k.) I'll look into it more closely!
As for the seats... yeah, I want Sport-Tex (because I hear it runs cooler than leather, is more durable—for my dog—and harkens back to Pepita) and that requires the SSPlus.. which then requires me to jump into the 18 way. I'll be the only driver and really just want to be able to slide the passenger seat forward and backward quickly to let my dog in-out of the car... But I'll give the memory option another thought or two. Cheers

Originally Posted by colegno
There's a stop sale in force on the noise insulated glass. Just saved OP $1250 which he can put towards 14 way seats. :-}
Definitely get the Bose. I'm not a fan of the look of the stock wheels so would upgrade them to 21/20's and you
might want to consider adding the sliding glass roof if for no other reason than resale. I like the extra light it lets into the cabin.
Nice build!
What!!!! Nooooo!!! What does this mean? Why? VW4 was my favorite code on this build! I test drove enough Base and S models to realize that I would prefer something slightly more luxurious and noise deadening is a great way to get there while still beating my spine into submission on the B roads.

Originally Posted by rk-d
This is a very good build, IMO, for a back to basics approach.

Personally, I'd scratch the ionizer and Ambient lighting and I would add Bose.

Otherwise, looks good. I like that you kept the smaller wheels. I suspect the car will be more fun to drive with them and I also think they match up better, aesthetically, with the smaller brake rotors.
Yes! Thanks for noticing the wheels, these are a must for me. I have Ambient on my Cayenne and I love the red lights option. I also think this package adds more lights on the 911 (someone please correct me if this is wrong) which would help find fallen objects, given that I don't want a sunroof.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
White looks good on the 911. Your build looks reasonable, but I would add the Bose. I like a sunroof and you need it for the roof rack option, but don’t think that’s an issue for you. I also enjoy opening the sunroof and windows for the air and exhaust note.

If I didn’t care about a sunroof, I’d think about the 718 GTS, too.
I DID NOT KNOW that the sunroof is required for the roof rack(!!!?) This changes things... I already have a roof box for my Cayenne... was hoping to put it on the 911 as well for some CA trips... Drat. I will read more on this as well, thank you!

Originally Posted by WCE
GT steering wheel adds a little thickness if you prefer that and white tach ring will add a little pop (although apparently slightly less legible) - two cheap additions that improve the driver's cockpit IMO.
Bose is overpriced but still worth it. Manual seats mean no front of seat height adjustment - make sure it's comfortable for you. Sunroof is great in these cars and a feature not always available in sports cars.
Not sure if up sizing the diameter of the tires is a good idea, and keep this car off gravel roads please!
And by the way, for everyone's benefit, it's SOLID color paint (or non-metallic) which is still glossy not "flat"!
Many thanks! "Solid" is indeed what I was looking for (not flat!) I believe the solid colors really bring out another side of the 992 and if my Tesla wasn't already red, might consider Guards. I am leaning heavily toward Chalk now, especially now that I probably can't splurge on the VW4 option.

Originally Posted by lucycan
Love the color and sports tex interior with P crest. Keep the 19/20s. Skip the folding mirrors, surround view, fancy glass.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

My 991.2 has 18 ways and I had 4 way sports plus seats in the past. The 992 seats are a little different ... fortunately, I was able to spend some time sitting in them and felt that the base for thigh support of the 4 way seat feels a little short (and I’m only 5’9”). I mention this as I would have gone with the 4 ways but felt that I would miss the thigh extension and potentially the lumbar adjustment (in my GTS Cab these are both adjusted slightly from the “zero” position).

The other no cost item worth getting is the smokers package. It pops out if you don’t want it but some have mentioned it works well as an arm support.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:25 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 221 Posts

@Daft Chief My spec is somewhat similar to yours. I wrote a review this weekend you might find it interesting as it addresses many of your issues. .
Old 03-22-2021, 06:22 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd go with the silver tailpipes to match the PORSCHE script. Maybe just do a badge delete if you're ashamed you didn't get an S. People will know anyhow since you have the small wheels and small brakes and tidies things up anyhow. It's not like people won't know you're not driving a 911.

The Noise Insulated Glass seems at odds with a back to basics approach without even Bose optioned.

I was awake on the configurator 2-3 nights in a row until 2am. I'd love to Porsche data on the average number of hours people spend on the configurator, especially if you track across multiple devices (work computer, home computer, iphone).
Old 03-22-2021, 06:39 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade

I was awake on the configurator 2-3 nights in a row until 2am. I'd love to Porsche data on the average number of hours people spend on the configurator, especially if you track across multiple devices (work computer, home computer, iphone).
Don’t get me started ! Hours and hours .. My freeze date got pushed a week and now I’m taking a C2S with PCCBs for a test drive tomorrow ! I definitely have configuration fatigue and looking forward my build being locked on Wednesday.
The following users liked this post:
Fixinbones (04-25-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 PM
BOSSOB
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

If the four way seats are comfortable for you fine, if your tall like myself consider the 14 or 18 seats. Big difference in the long haul comfort factor.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:49 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts

I thought I was the only one that spent waaaay too much time on the Configurator? LOL!!
i’m so relieved I’m past my freeze date.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:03 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
I thought I was the only one that spent waaaay too much time on the Configurator? LOL!!
i’m so relieved I’m past my freeze date.
LOL, I spent a whole year on that damn thing. Have 25 configurations saved. Car is due at dealer in 4 days. It is what it is. Actually lots of fun.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:00 AM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 42 Posts

Your build is OK but I would add ACC. I put mine on all the time on the freeway for added protection and it is especially good in stop and go traffic. Ventilated seats are very nice when it is hot in San Diego where I live.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:31 AM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

It's hilarious that the discussion is that if nearly $15k in options is "too minimal." Porsche sure knows how to get money out of us.
Bose seems like it's worth considering. I haven't heard the stock 992, but assuming it's similar to earlier generations, it's worth the upgrade. Especially if you do get the noise insulated glass, you'll want something better than the stock stereo.
I prefer white to chalk. I feel like chalk looks like primer - no offense to those who like it!
Old 03-23-2021, 01:50 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

I've updated my spec with a friend that used to work in Porsche marketing to make it the "ultimate" (it's base, after all) "992" (not 911.)

But yeah, Porsche really has options that make me cringe. And I can cringe at myself sometimes.

I opted into the White (0Q,) the slats in exterior color (also 0Q,) stock glass with the rear wiper, and—I promise there is a reason to have this on the VIN—personalized door sills.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMUF7EB5

Last edited by Daft Chief; 03-23-2021 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:05 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ritchieg
Your build is OK but I would add ACC. I put mine on all the time on the freeway for added protection and it is especially good in stop and go traffic. Ventilated seats are very nice when it is hot in San Diego where I live.
I appreciate this. The AutoPilot/FSD on my Tesla was the biggest life-changing feature I've had on a car. That said, that was pre-COVID and I don't usually drive in traffic now. Then I bought my Cayenne and I am loving be responsible for driving again, even in traffic. Then I started test-driving 992s. Now I want my 911 to continue the trend..

I'm happy to hear that your option is paying off for you though! I absolutely love that the 911 can fill almost any niche now! Porsche really gets it and I hope that the future roads are nothing but 911s and Model 3s.

As for ventilated seats: they aren't available on the Sport-Tex and Nick Murray mentioned that Sport-Tex can be cooler than base leather—so I'm in on that. My ventilated Cayenne seats are pretty firm so I want to try something new here.

Last edited by Daft Chief; 03-23-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 AM
Nibiru12
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

With surround view, you can always park straight, parallel, center, and just 1 inch away from the curb, 1st try, every time.

You will look smart when you get out of the car.

Quick Reply: Base base base 911. Too minimal? Request for comments