Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any aftermarket clear rear reflector options out there?

Old 06-19-2020, 11:48 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Any aftermarket clear rear reflector options out there?

Is anybody aware of a source for clear rear reflectors for the 992?

Or barring that, a textured black that perfectly matches the textured black plastic of the rear molding?

Checking out Bumperplugs.com, it doesn’t look like they make a clear product. So my only option there is to go painted. And zooming in on photos, it doesn’t look like the “Satin Black” color perfectly matches the 992’s textured black molding. My last option would be to go with body color, but Bumperplugs doesn’t offer Aventurine Green yet.

And besides, I think with how the reflectors are inset amongst the molding on the 992, body color would look odd. So clear or a proper textured black is the way to go, IMO.

Otherwise I’m leaning towards popping off the OEM reflectors and having them either wrapped or painted a perfectly matching textured black...

Last edited by French Blue; 06-20-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:54 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 639 Likes on 392 Posts

If you’re not comfortable with the satin black I think your last idea is the best one. I agree that body color-matched plugs would not look right on the 992.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:21 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
Is anybody aware of a source for clear rear reflectors for the 992?

Or barring that, a textured black that perfectly matches the textured black plastic of the rear molding?

Checking out Bumperplugs.com, it doesn’t look like they make a clear product. So my only option there is to go painted. And zooming in on photos, it doesn’t look like the “Satin Black” color perfectly matches the 992’s textured black molding. My last option would be to go with body color, but Bumperplugs doesn’t offer Aventurine Green yet.

And besides, I think with how the reflectors are inset amongst the molding on the 992, body color would look odd. So clear or a proper textured black is the way to go, IMO. I am slowly removing the red stuff. Front reflectors, and have the 3rd break light on order.

Otherwise I’m leaning towards popping off the OEM reflectors and having them either wrapped or painted a perfectly matching textured black...
Here is what a body colored (Carrara White Metallic) looks like. I decided on body colored over satin black.. Looks better than the red...

Old 06-20-2020, 12:25 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,436 Posts

@French Blue either color match like @Richard_Wallace (which looks great!) or go with the satin black option. Like I have said in the past, the black textured rear valence will be very hard to duplicate. But this is as good as it gets. Eric @ Bumperplugs does top grade work. You won't be disappointed.

Richard_Wallace (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:24 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by smiles11
@French Blue either color match like @Richard_Wallace (which looks great!) or go with the satin black option. Like I have said in the past, the black textured rear valence will be very hard to duplicate. But this is as good as it gets. Eric @ Bumperplugs does top grade work. You won't be disappointed.

It is a great look... But I live near Platinum, and they do perfect match painting or wrap...
Old 06-20-2020, 12:44 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Here is what a body colored (Carrara White Metallic) looks like. I decided on body colored over satin black.. Looks better than the red...

I stand corrected. That looks much better than I was picturing in my head!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:25 PM
French Blue
Instructor

I was wrong... that actually looks kind of great. much better than I imagined. The line creates kind of a mirroring effect to the license plate inset area, no? Do you have other pics? Maybe one square on from the rear?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:14 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by French Blue
I was wrong... that actually looks kind of great. much better than I imagined. The line creates kind of a mirroring effect to the license plate inset area, no? Do you have other pics? Maybe one square on from the rear?
Here is one straight on (well almost straight on)... I do like it, really not noticeable - looks like it came that way, and better than the red.

French Blue (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:16 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I'm back to thinking body-matched from Eric is the right way to go, at least for me :-)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:29 PM
French Blue
Instructor

I’m with you, Mark. Those look fantastic, Richard!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:37 PM
Wighty992
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How did those reflectors pop out? Is it like other 911s where you push forward then pop out the back?
Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Pumpsmynads
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

But then your car has no rear reflectors right?
Would be just another excuse for plod to pull u over.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumpsmynads
But then your car has no rear reflectors right?
Would be just another excuse for plod to pull u over.
Maybe. It wouldn’t pass a state vehicle inspection here, too. For me, I want those reflectors to reflect light when I am parked at night, or shine if the tail lamps should go out while driving at night. That actually happened to somebody I know - they plowed into a car with the tail lamps out, no reflectors, in a morning fog.

I am just saying that if for some reason you are parked on a street and get hit by a passing car, or have an accident in a fog, what would a insurance provider do? I think this is a necessary safety feature and cringe looking at these. Seriously, please think about what you are doing.

It is Father’s Day. I am “dadding” all of you.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wighty992
How did those reflectors pop out? Is it like other 911s where you push forward then pop out the back?
It is a little different, you kind of push on the middle of the reflector, and with a trim removal tool, you start at one end and really pry it out hard - it doesn't come out as easy as the front indicator lights. But with the pry tool it snaps out in 3 places and once you get the first snap out it comes out really easy. Just need to use a little force, and you will not break anything - it will unsnap. Putting the new ones in takes 3 seconds. Total time is about 5 minutes to take off and put on.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:00 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Maybe. It wouldn’t pass a state vehicle inspection here, too. For me, I want those reflectors to reflect light when I am parked at night, or shine if the tail lamps should go out while driving at night. That actually happened to somebody I know - they plowed into a car with the tail lamps out, no reflectors, in a morning fog.

I am just saying that if for some reason you are parked on a street and get hit by a passing car, or have an accident in a fog, what would a insurance provider do? I think this is a necessary safety feature and cringe looking at these. Seriously, please think about what you are doing.

It is Father’s Day. I am “dadding” all of you.
Hey, maybe a little “dadding” was a good thing... you have me rethinking my whole thread.

Putting aside (but not ignoring) the potential for some horrible accident, what about just a simple fender-bender, getting rear-ended at a light in traffic? Seems to me the offending jackass’s insurance could refuse to pay out, leaving one on the hook for a new bumper (not cheap) AND increased insurance premiums from one’s own provider...

Maybe best to leave the reflectors as they are.
gcurnew (06-23-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any aftermarket clear rear reflector options out there?