Sponsored by:

992 - Underwhelming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasVP17
Great feedback. You guys are killing me, just because I wasn't wow'd by the Carrera S you that think I am a "troll", or mistakenly didn't drive a 992, too funny. I am going to take vic55's advice and go for a second test drive, and also drive a 991.2 Turbo and a GT3 (if I can find a dealer with one). Obviously, the M3 CS is not the best car, but it's not trash, it's still a fun car for the price point. Maybe I'll just get a modded diesel like Big Swole suggested LOL.

I knew you weren't a Troll. Just maybe confused...lol

If you decide to go with a fast diesel truck..Lemme know!! I'll built / had a few.

The following users liked this post:
DallasVP17 (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:19 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
GT3 is definitely never underwhelming IMHO but they're two different cars often for different uses. I guess a GT3 can be a daily driver if you like the rawness and can accept that you will almost never be able to use all the power, which is true for many cars these days. The 992S is going to be fast but may not feel like it because is does it with such ease and refinement compared to the Porsche GT cars. I had a 991S and there's no comparison with a GT car for feel and driving enjoyment but I do spend a lot of time on track where it really wakes up.
I was just thinking about the 992S today...443 hp. To me a 500 hp GT3 is more awake strolling at 40 mph, knowing you have the 500 hp on tap. I would encourage a try in the GT3.
DallasVP17 (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:23 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doug H
Absolutely horrible customer service. This is perhaps because they are super high volume and most of their customers are cheap 3s and etc. I was trying to see if I could even get payoffs from the dealer back then and no one at my dealership would answer the phone. The receptionist kept sending me to different voice mails for service, parts, finance manager, sales manager, general sales manager. I literally jumped into my car and drove 30 minutes one way, walked into the dealership and it was DEAD. Everyone was just standing around, but no one would answer the phone. This happened to me twice.
This is disgusting. Isn't that their WHOLE freaking function?? Customer service?? THAT'S THEIR JOB
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by DBH
Well, I've no personal knowledge but a couple of Road & Track reviews would seem to indicate that a 991.2 GTS is a tad faster at most all speed measuring points. I think the real difference is the suspension and the NA engine. These things make for two very distinct autos.
Think you meant GT3 here, and yes, you'd be right, other than about 0-80 mph the GT3 will begin to pull away. Higher horsepower, and not by a small amount. Ram air intake suggest another 15 hp at speed. You're talking 515 hp against 450 hp. And the C2S weighs more.

Here we go again.
paxton (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:41 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Drive a 991.2 GTS with a tune and I will bet the word "underwhelming" will not be what you say when you get out.
DallasVP17 (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:44 PM
chance6
Race Car

Truth be told, the .2 GTS and 992S are very quick and all you really need on the street, if we're being realistic.
992Sam (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 04:15 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 196 Posts

I really do think some of it has to do with how the throttle mapping is between a M3 and 992. BMW M car mapping, especially in any kind of sport mode, is super twitchy. A 10% push of the gas gets you to what feels like 50% of the max throttle. This makes for a car that feels very fast and aggressive. But I found somewhat difficult to drive smoothly. When I drove the 992, the mapping was much more linear. 10% push gets you 10% throttle. This is desirable as it allows better and more finely tuned control of the car. But for somebody who is used to a BMW, the immediate impression is that a 992 feels slow. The same amount of pedal movement makes a M car jump ahead, and is still in the lazy zone for a 992.

Just a first impression difference. Clearly as you spend more time with either car, you’d adapt.
The following 2 users liked this post by rouxeny:
992Sam (02-02-2020), JHesketh (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Dzu
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts

Really? I drove the standard F90 M5 before I got my CS, I thought the M5 was crazy fast. I didn't think the Carrera S even compared to the M5 in terms of acceleration. I even used the "bonkers" button (whatever its called, that provides extra boost for 20 seconds) when on the highway in the 992 - just wasn't impressed.
I had M4 and 992s now. M4s lack of adherence makes you think you re in a rocket that will destroy a MCL Senna. But in reality, put your M4 next to a 992s and you will have a surprise. It will beat you in straight line, no need to discuss about the track times.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzu
I had M4 and 992s now. M4s lack of adherence makes you think you re in a rocket that will destroy a MCL Senna. But in reality, put your M4 next to a 992s and you will have a surprise. It will beat you in straight line, no need to discuss about the track times.
That was somewhat my comment as well, but seriously . . . let's looks at some objective facts.

The 992 is over 4 seconds quicker than the F8X street platform around Laguna Seca and more than 2 seconds quicker than the M4 GTS (on Rs!!!) around Laguna Seca. I raced and taught at Skip Barber there for years and can unequivocally tell you that hat 4 seconds is an eternity on that track or any shorter track.

My all time favorite car is the 458 and I just picked up my third. There is nothing underwhelming about that car. The 992 was quicker than a 458 round Laguna Seca.

I can see someone saying they don't like the 992 for aesthetics or other more subjective reasons, but saying performance when coming from something like an M3. My thought is they either lack car control skills to explore, appreciate or understand the car's capability or limits or they are just trolling to mess with folks. The 992 is world class performance and way, way more than anyone needs for public streets.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
992Sam (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Folks... Folks...

I personally think the OP was "Simply" gauging the straight line acceleration of them...Nothing more in my opinion. I think the most accurate excuse someone gave was probably throttle mapping.

But for someone like me (maybe him as well), it can take quite a bit to impress for Straight line speed.

Like my vid above..I had a diesel truck that made 1050 WHP / 1700 WTQ and ran a 10.70 @ 130, which is slightly quicker than my tuned Turbo S!!! I'm now used to the power in my TTS and it feels slower to me (as they all do after getting used to it).

So once you're used to a certain amount of power, it takes a good bit extra to feel "impressed". That's All I think he meant. I didn't hear him compare ALL the other stuff everyone keeps defending the 992 for. I'm SURE it's all of those things..It's a Porsche!! Of course it is... He just wasn't comparing that part yet.

Just my .02

So, OP....Give it another shot and if it still isn't what you want "power wise" and that's what makes your boat float, the GO DRIVE A TURBO S or something even quicker (not too many out there).
Old 02-02-2020, 11:16 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

No brother, it was complete trash. Maybe I just have higher standards and expectations from driving better cars, but F80 M3 was a huge disappointment.

Mine F80 M3 Competition Package sat in the garage for months at a time without being driven because I never wanted to drive it compared to my other cars. I couldn't sell it either. The F80 market is pitiful. I tried to trade it at one point, but couldn't because of stop sale due to faulty driveshaft. Stop sale lasted 6 months because there was no replacement part.

The best offer on my 2 1/2 year old $80k sticker M3 Manual Competition was $42k. I had it listed at $45k for 6 months and low $50s for about a year.
Yep resale for BMWs is lousy. I still think they are pretty decent mass market cars. Just need to go into them with the understanding upon a trade or sale you’re going to take a big hit. For some it doesn’t matter and can be justified for personal, qualitative reasons. 911s are a different story. Heck I’ve owned 6 BMWs (3, 5 and 7 Series) since 1985 and 5 911’s in that time. I’ve lost $ on every BMW and 1 of the 911’s. It will be losses on 2 911’s since I doubt my 991.2 is special in the resale world. As far as an M3 outgunning a Carrera S of the same vintage, I find it hard to believe and a comical comparison.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Great feedback. You guys are killing me, just because I wasn't wow'd by the Carrera S you that think I am a "troll", or mistakenly didn't drive a 992, too funny. I am going to take vic55's advice and go for a second test drive, and also drive a 991.2 Turbo and a GT3 (if I can find a dealer with one). Obviously, the M3 CS is not the best car, but it's not trash, it's still a fun car for the price point. Maybe I'll just get a modded diesel like Big Swole suggested LOL.
The 992S can do a 3 sec 0-60, and although acceleration standards are rapidly changing, that's a very quick time IMO. The 911s have just gotten too big for me, and I'm not a fan of the 992, specially the rear end, but I certainly wouldn't question its performance. It's near the top in every performance category. Of course if you have substantial financial resources, Porsche offers faster cars from the $200K+ TurboS to the $1M 918. As far as M3s are concerned, they are fantastic cars, and it's amazing what they have done with a car which is built on the pedestrian 3 series platform. 911s OTOH are built from the ground up with one thing in mind: performance. So it's not really fair to compare M3s to 911s, when only performance is considered. The current M4 is a great choice for the family man who wants a performance car and requires a practical backseat.
992Sam (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Folks... Folks...

I personally think the OP was "Simply" gauging the straight line acceleration of them...Nothing more in my opinion. I think the most accurate excuse someone gave was probably throttle mapping.

But for someone like me (maybe him as well), it can take quite a bit to impress for Straight line speed.

Like my vid above..I had a diesel truck that made 1050 WHP / 1700 WTQ and ran a 10.70 @ 130, which is slightly quicker than my tuned Turbo S!!! I'm now used to the power in my TTS and it feels slower to me (as they all do after getting used to it).

So once you're used to a certain amount of power, it takes a good bit extra to feel "impressed". That's All I think he meant. I didn't hear him compare ALL the other stuff everyone keeps defending the 992 for. I'm SURE it's all of those things..It's a Porsche!! Of course it is... He just wasn't comparing that part yet.

Just my .02

So, OP....Give it another shot and if it still isn't what you want "power wise" and that's what makes your boat float, the GO DRIVE A TURBO S or something even quicker (not too many out there).
Then why spend dollars on a base 992 if focus is drag strip level straight line performance. Keep the M4 and do chip, headers/full eavhaust and save your $$$. That said, there really is not that much difference between the 992 4S and your modified Turbo S and the 4S could be tuned as well.

Candidly, I have never understood the excitement of drag racing though and I have taken my past Porsche Turbos up to 750 hp at the wheels, but even those I took to a road course and not a drag strip.

If you want an an adrenaline rush, go to a road course like Laguna Seca. That takes skill, last for more than 10 seconds and can see higher speeds.

So my disconnect is with the whole drag race thing which seems underwhelming compared to navigating high speed Ss, double apex caraseouls, high speed decreasing radius turns and etc. at or hear a car’s limits.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Then why spend dollars on a base 992 if focus is drag strip level straight line performance. Keep the M4 and do chip, headers/full eavhaust and save your $$$. That said, there really is not that much difference between the 992 4S and your modified Turbo S and the 4S could be tuned as well.

Candidly, I have never understood the excitement of drag racing though and I have taken my past Porsche Turbos up to 750 hp at the wheels, but even those I took to a road course and not a drag strip.

If you want an an adrenaline rush, go to a road course like Laguna Seca. That takes skill, last for more than 10 seconds and can see higher speeds.

So my disconnect is with the whole drag race thing which seems underwhelming compared to navigating high speed Ss, double apex caraseouls, high speed decreasing radius turns and etc. at or hear a car’s limits.

Oh don't get me wrong..I LOVE road course racing / driving... I just don't have the coin to do it often like some do. That would be my preferred past time, but drag racing is something I've done since my teenage years and it's fairly cheap by comparison. BTW, I did lots of track days on Two Wheels for a lot of my life. Road Atlanta, Barber, Jennings GP, & Little Tally GP. So I'm no stranger to that rush it gives you...Just WAY More dangerous on Two Wheels.

I love the feel of a hard pull in a straight line. It never gets old to me.

Yes, the 992 with a tune would be simply awesome and right there with my TTS, but I'd rather have a tuned / modded 991 Turbo S though. 700-800 WHP would be about perfect for my taste (until I got used to it..lol )
Old 02-02-2020, 12:03 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 609 Posts

wow tough crowd beating on the guy
Let me clear up some issues as I love both brands and own/owned a bunch of them
1. I owned 2015 M3 non comp, 2018 M3 Comp , and currently own 2018 M3CS... The car has evolved over the years and the CS is a great car ... Actually I agree with OP that M3CS feels faster than 992 S.. I don't own the 992 , but on two test drives that is the feeling I got. The M3CS has different mapping than regular M3 and is lighter as it has CF hood, roof, and trunk as compared to regular M3 which has only CF roof and trunk.. and the handling is better in CS as it has staggered wheels
2. F90 Comp is in a different league as far as speed so lets leave it alone
3. as far as depreciation, all brands depreciate , but some models worse than others ... so IMO depreciation has no bearing on evaluating car performance .. have you seen the depreciation on Panamera turbo S
but overall 911 including 992 is a completely different car than M3 , but it does not make m3 trash
Op , if you need any advice on GT cars , you can pm questions, but in one word : Awesome
DallasVP17 (02-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 - Underwhelming?