Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone received a car without PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Quamaze
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone received a car without PSE?

All-

My lock in date is approaching fast and I’ve seen a number of reviews and videos with PSE, but has anyone received a 992 without? I’m on the fence
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (04-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:19 AM
aleguizz
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 32 Posts

When you do not have PSE, the sound will change in sport? Do you have the button anyway?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

I knew I would regret not getting PSE, so I added it to my order before it locked.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Quamaze
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I knew I would regret not getting PSE, so I added it to my order before it locked.
I really like the quad look, but like you I added it to my build.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a chance to ride both of them right after one another.

The tone of the exhaust noise in the cabin is quite similar, the heart ringing porsche note present in both cars.

But the one with the PSE, when the button is pressed, the volume goes up a notch and that ringing of my ear drums and my heart also goes up a notch at the highest rpm.

It's quite enough and satisfactory and nevertheless a sports car porsche sound even without PSE, but the emotion is definitely higher with the PSE switched on.

And also no more funcky and funny artificial, a second too late kinda bubbling that were present in 991 PSEs. Rather more sophiscated and well thought out balanced(?) bubbling with 992 PSE. I think they really nailed the acoustics inside the cabin with 992.

And! two big exhausts are the new COOL in the town! Don't get behind the fashion with that quads! nobody does that except for the BMW Ms. So old school already!!
dhirm5 (03-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamaze
I really like the quad look, but like you I added it to my build.
Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Exactly the same here.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
And! two big exhausts are the new COOL in the town! Don't get behind the fashion with that quads! nobody does that except for the BMW Ms. So old school already!!
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Those “COOL” exhausts aren’t really exhausts. They’re stuck on for ‘flare’. Completely unconnected to the exhaust system. Like a Honda Accord.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benedict14:
OMTarga4S (03-08-2021), Porsch (03-20-2020)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Those “COOL” exhausts aren’t really exhausts. They’re stuck on for ‘flare’. Completely unconnected to the exhaust system. Like a Honda Accord.
How you describe it, it sounds alot worse then it actually is when I look at it on my car. Yes it is disconnected, howerver there are quad exhaust ending just behind the bigger dual exhaust. I think it is well made, and in the end ALL exhaust endtips are cosmetic.

They probably have their reasons, maybe it improves exhaust cabin sound. Or maybe it is because those endtips fits so flawless, which would be nearly impossible when it is connected. (Again cosmetic like every other end tip) Or some other reason, but as I said to me it look well made and not cheap, alot of people compliment on the exhaust which I never specifically had on any previous Porsche.

Last edited by B3rk; 06-17-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 AM
adamlew
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 992 without PSE. I went against the advice of pretty much everybody; journalists, forums and sales people. I did so because of the look and because I didn't really like the sound of the PSE on the 991.2, and to keep costs down a bit. I drive a lot around town and people turn and look enough as it is, so I didn't feel the need to add a louder exhaust. I have compared my car to 992s with PSE and there is definitely a difference and a deeper note in those cars. Most will probably want that, but I personally really enjoy the standard system, its sounds very nice to my ears and really opens up as revs increase. Sound changes a bit with sport-mode activated, a bit louder but not much.

In terms of the exhaust-tip not being connected, its the case for both standard and sport, but is less obvious with the quad pipes (one has to look very hard to see it). On the 991 it was possible to add the PSE at a reasonable cost with Porsche Tequipment - not by much more than the option cost from the factory - I am guessing the same will be true for the 992; and with quad pipes still there since the system is not connected..

The reason btw for the tips being disconnected, at least based on what I have heard, is insurance-related; it is simply cheaper to replace the tips rather than the full system if something happens. A bit annoying but at least not completely fake
The following 6 users liked this post by adamlew:
FlyJacket (04-11-2021), Garydose (04-25-2020), JMartinni (03-20-2020), Schwarz992C4S (03-20-2020), TennisGuy (03-17-2020), westcoastj (02-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I have PSE on my 991.2, and I almost never turn it on. Most of my driving is around town, and I don't want a car that's too loud. When I hit a winding rural road I flip the switch to sport or sport plus and the PSE is engaged. Unfortunately, I don't get out on those roads very often. When I do get a 992, I'm going to opt for the standard exhaust. Regarding the insurance situation, my first 991.1 rolled backwards into a wall at under 5 mph. There was $7000 worth of damage, mostly to the exhaust system.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by B3rk
How you describe it, it sounds alot worse then it actually is when I look at it on my car. Yes it is disconnected, howerver there are quad exhaust ending just behind the bigger dual exhaust. I think it is well made, and in the end ALL exhaust endtips are cosmetic.

They probably have their reasons, maybe it improves exhaust cabin sound. Or maybe it is because those endtips fits so flawless, which would be nearly impossible when it is connected. (Again cosmetic like every other end tip) Or some other reason, but as I said to me it look well made and not cheap, alot of people compliment on the exhaust which I never specifically had on any previous Porsche.

Yeah. I was mostly gently mocking Shins slightly fanboy remarks about the “COOL !” must have PSE. I have PSE and agree. However; not for all the same reasons.

I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent PSE video done by the green 992 owner. I thought the exhaust sounded better than the 991.2. It almost had an old school 911 ‘blat’ to it at times.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM
Simonl72
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 35 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent PSE video done by the green 992 owner. I thought the exhaust sounded better than the 991.2. It almost had an old school 911 ‘blat’ to it at times.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, I test drove yesterday and PSE had a deep tone to it. Sounded better than my previous 991.2 GTS I thought. I have ticked that box and glad I did (although I do prefer the quad pipe look)

www.porsche-code.com/PL1IM8B5

Simon
Old 06-29-2019, 12:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I have PSE on my 991.2, and I almost never turn it on. Most of my driving is around town, and I don't want a car that's too loud. When I hit a winding rural road I flip the switch to sport or sport plus and the PSE is engaged. Unfortunately, I don't get out on those roads very often. When I do get a 992, I'm going to opt for the standard exhaust. Regarding the insurance situation, my first 991.1 rolled backwards into a wall at under 5 mph. There was $7000 worth of damage, mostly to the exhaust system.
You are in the minority for sure! Don't take that in a negative way since it is up to you; however, there are probably more than not that would prefer the Sport Exhaust to be louder than it is.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You are in the minority for sure! Don't take that in a negative way since it is up to you; however, there are probably more than not that would prefer the Sport Exhaust to be louder than it is.
Totally understand. I'm 64 years old, live in a small town and, being a real estate agent, know way too many people. Bad enough that I drive a 911 Cab with red top and interior and a vanity plate, but adding a loud exhaust would make me that much more conspicuous.

Although, after reading comments on the 992 PSE, I'm beginning to think I'll add it to my order when the manual cars are available.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:44 PM
medimpo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Found 2 Videos. Same source, same location. Once with PSE and once without.

C2heritage (09-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Has anyone received a car without PSE?