Sponsored by:

S or 4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S or 4S

This is the year that I finally get to order my dream car. I’m so pumped to say the least. I live in the desert and so I don’t have to worry about driving in the snow, but how well does the S put the power down? Is there any rear slippage when punching it?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

My (purely theoretical) understanding is that in dry conditions like yours the 4S is fractionally quicker from a dead stop (e.g. by 0.1 secs in the 0-60mph measure due to initial traction) and the 2S is as fast or quicker everywhere else (less weight). Porshe's 7min 25sec time at the Nurburgring was set with a C2S (with all the go-faster options) instead of the 4S as the 2S was the quicker car there. However I will say not many people could detect such small differences for normal road driving.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

Sounds like the positives out way the negatives (0.1 Sec 0-60 most likely isn’t even discernible). I would prefer to be able to kick the end out also, which would most likely be much more difficult, if even possible with a 4S. Thx!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:32 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

I will choose S over 4S. Why carry extra weight
Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

I have driven my 718 through 2 winters so far and don't really miss AWD - the biggest factor is a nice set of winter tires. Even with the option of getting AWD when I order mine, I'm still just getting a C2S because it's a more pure experience, less weight, and less money.

You'll have more fun with a C2S and save some money too
Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I have a 4S now but will switch to a 2S for my 992. I bought the 4S due to rain and snow in PA. We're relocating to CA next year, so a 2S will save weight and money.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Porsche makes this an easier decision now, since both have the wide-body and light bar.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Haven’t driven either car, (I live in the tropics so have always had 2 wheel drive) but for what it’s worth regarding the 992, here’s an interesting comment on steering feel on 2S vs 4S from a respected reviewer. Forward to 4:04.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:25 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Here are some differences -

4S is more costly to purchase.
4S maintenence costs are higher
4S drivetrain repair costs will be higher, long term with its transfer case, extra driveshaft and differential, and axle shafts with U-joints.
4S is heavier
X4S consumes slightly more fuel and emits slightly more pollutants, in case you are a greenie

If living in the desert, i personally could not justify a 4S over a 2S. But everybody has different budget, priorities, and preferences. The choice is yours. It's a first world dilemma.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

Well, that settles it, 2S for me. Ha. Now to decide on PASM. Not convinced I want/need it.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

For driving in any area where it rains a lot I'd say it's worthwhile.

Don't ignore the ability to safety maneuver from hazards and incompetence during slippery conditions where having all-wheel-drive may be all the difference versus the rwd. The extra traction is noticeable as is the slightly different, some may call more authentic, feel of the rwd version, based on my daily use of both configurations in the past decade.

Obviously, it's a trade-off based on your needs and purposes! I'd say, for only dry conditions forgo it, but to daily, or for wet or inclement conditions the advantage is certainly with the all-wheel-drive.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:04 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JPT99
Well, that settles it, 2S for me. Ha. Now to decide on PASM. Not convinced I want/need it.
For me the decision was mostly esthetic... I thought it looked better with the 10mm lowered stance and the more aggressive front lip. (For reference GT3s are lowered 30mm compared to standard). PASM is standard on the S cars now, but choosing this “enhanced PASM” option gets you:
  • Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
  • Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
  • Extended front spoiler lip
  • Increased maximum rear spoiler height
Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM
JPT99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
For me the decision was mostly esthetic... I thought it looked better with the 10mm lowered stance and the more aggressive front lip. (For reference GT3s are lowered 30mm compared to standard). PASM is standard on the S cars now, but choosing this “enhanced PASM” option gets you:
  • Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
  • Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
  • Extended front spoiler lip
  • Increased maximum rear spoiler height
My main concern is ride quality. If it decreases the comfort at all, I’m not for it. Typically when you lower a car, the stiffer it rides, but this new version is purported to do the opposite in “normal mode.”
Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I would only buy a 2S if I was buying a manual. You can do things with a rear wheel drive manual which are harder to do with an rear drive automatic.

Once you go with the PDK then the 4S is superior in every way.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:24 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rewardforsuccess
For driving in any area where it rains a lot I'd say it's worthwhile.

Don't ignore the ability to safety maneuver from hazards and incompetence during slippery conditions where having all-wheel-drive may be all the difference versus the rwd. The extra traction is noticeable as is the slightly different, some may call more authentic, feel of the rwd version, based on my daily use of both configurations in the past decade.

Obviously, it's a trade-off based on your needs and purposes! I'd say, for only dry conditions forgo it, but to daily, or for wet or inclement conditions the advantage is certainly with the all-wheel-drive.
I dithered over 4S vs S for weeks and drove multiple versions of each in the 991.2 model and couldn't tell any difference at moderate speeds and dry roads (and as we know if you cannot tell any difference then get the cheaper option).

I'm in rural PA where we get about 5 days of snow per year (on those days I will stay home or use the Alfa Stelvio or my wife's Tesla) so that was not an issue. But I did think about wet weather situations which are quite common - until I saw several videos of 992 reviewers doing silly things to try and catch out the WET mode on a S model on flooded tracks - incredibly impressive. I think a 992 S with WET mode should be sufficient to handle rainy days for daily driving (or just drive more carefully even without WET mode).

Quick Reply: S or 4S