Sponsored by:

992 Dealer Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 992 Dealer Premiere

Just came back from the 992 Dealer Premiere at the Kameha Grand Hotel in Zurich. Location was so-so but food was good! The real stars obviously were the 992s! Of course (Swiss-like) they went with very subtle colors. A guards red 2S, a jet black 4S which looked terrible in artificial light. It was covered in greasy fingerprints and already had visible smears in the paint. Finally, a carrera white metallic one. EVERY car had black leather inside, a glass roof and black trim strips. Would've have wished for a bit of variation in interior colors & options but understandably they didn't want some fancy options to steal the thunder of the 992 itself, which looked absolutely amazing - inside & outside.

Jet Black indeed only looks good right after being cleaned and polished!

We managed to build a nice little trashcan! That's what I call German engineering! Thought about everything!

I was a little bit disappointed by the mode dial, which seemed a bit flimsy. Compared to my 991.2 mode, it is definitely a bit more flimsy.

Finally, a video for all nubbin-hater:

Last edited by DKST; 03-14-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:44 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Not too many black pictures of the model, so good to see! And the Nubbin’ video.... hilarious....

Any idea anyone if we’ll have similar event here in the US at some point? Guess I’ll ask my dealer... any chance to see the car I’ll take.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Koln for work so I sent my gf tonight at the premiere and received only one big concern: piano black around the nubbin is a big weird s*it. Need to think something to do because I am not going to live to clean that surface every 5 minutes of my life! Also, that hole all around the nubbin it’s going to be an headache for all ****-cleaners like me.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

That is one big sport car!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
I am in Koln for work so I sent my gf tonight at the premiere and received only one big concern: piano black around the nubbin is a big weird s*it. Need to think something to do because I am not going to live to clean that surface every 5 minutes of my life! Also, that hole all around the nubbin it’s going to be an headache for all ****-cleaners like me.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
😂😂😂😂😂 Welcome to the club! Up until the point where friends know exactly how to close the door in order to avoid fingerprints!

Someone posted an idea to cover the parts with anti-gloss foil. Might be an option...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:22 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

EVERY time I start to see pics where I'm like "ok this car is looking amazing, I'm fully coming around" it's followed by another picture that shows the horrendously clunky hood shutline and I'm like *cringe*.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

😂😂😂😂😂 Welcome to the club! Up until the point where friends know exactly how to close the door in order to avoid fingerprints!

Someone posted an idea to cover the parts with anti-gloss foil. Might be an option...
Green area (also below, where there are the seat-heating button) can be treated easily! The problem is going to be the yellow area!

Ahah I forgot how many times I repeated “to shut the door, press with your finger directly on the doorhandle, not on the glass or anywhere else”! 😌
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 AM
adamlew
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Also went to a dealer launch yesterday where they had two solid black cars with black interiors. Oddly they did not show a silver 992 sitting alone out in the rain in a gated parking lot. The solid black looks very cool when clean, but it surely needs to be perfectly clean...

I liked the car from the first picture I saw but it grew even more on me last night; the rear end light bar looks amazing in my view and the car is very muscular. I even personally like the design of the "nubbin" but it felt flimsy - would have preferred a more solid fell. Other than that the interior felt very good as expected.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Also I was at a "VIP" showing last night. General first impressions - not as enormous size wise in real life. But there are some lines in the exterior that don't "flow" at all. Typically over the front fenders and bumper/frunk interface. The rear - I think the SD packade will solve most issues. Interior - yup, much more "modern" feeling than 991, but was that necessary...? I actually liked how the outer instrument displays "floated" just outside the dashboard. I think that will be really cool in daylight, I could more feel it than see it since we were indoors. I do not understand at all the large piano black glossy surfaces around the nubbin - as has already been pointed out. Greasy within 30s of getting into the car... Nubbin had some strange logic - it needed quite an amount of force to be pulled to what I assume will be D position. The stroke to that point was also weirdly long.

Buttons in the interior - so many different shapes and sizes, from fog light panel on the left, to seat heating/ventilation, air flow distribution, assignable buttons, gear selection (M/P) and so on. Must have been a prerequisite in the design to create as many different buttons as possible, because I can not see the need for this diversification otherwise.

Seats feel good and the general quality impression on surfaces etc is sky high. Last comment, one of the features in the 911:s that my wife has loved since our 997 is the cup holders and their folding function. Luckily, at the moment I have no desire at all to upgrade to 992, because she would not approve of the 992 passenger cup holder. Looks like something from Japan late 90's...

When I was done with the 992:s I took a stroll through the used inventory. Taking a walk around a 991 GTS gave some answers in my head - it is so much more flowing, compact (I know the size is basically the same, but the feeling is "compact") and coherent in its exterior than the 992. The 992 will make record sales I am sure and it is most likely a brilliant car again. Only not for me, at this time.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 AM
tnikolov
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I was at the official showing of 992 here in Bulgaria last night. Unfortunately, I was not impressed. Outside its almost the same car. Yeah, it's longer and wider, but comparing it to a Turbo 991, it looks almost identical in shape. Inside where I expected the huge changes to be - it didn't look too well. The black piano finish around the gear lever were awful. The center cupholder was hideous. The digital instrument cluster... not bad, but I was not sold. I liked the new up/down buttons, they look like as taken from a fighter jet.

Overall, nothing too impressive... but then again, there's no Turbo out yet, theres not 992 GT2/GT3 yet. So we'll see how this plays.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:03 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

I was at a dealer premiere in Germany. I have some minor concerns but overall liked the car and walked away feeling good about the future. Can't wait for the Turbo, it will look very aggressive in person.

Piano black gets filthy but luckily didn't feel plasticky (it doesn't deform when pressed on). The rest of the interior looks good and materials are high quality. Didn't like the passenger cup holder, it's flimsy.

Exterior looks better in person. The light bar accentuates the roundness of the rear. The black areas aren't a big issue when viewing from eye level. Would still order sport design though.

Door handles seem too heavily sprung for someone used to 991 but I think it's a matter of getting used to.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:42 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the South African launch event last night, held at the iconic Kyalami Grand Prix circuit... I thought it was awesome, they had 4 cars on display, I'm happy to report that the Carrara White Metallic looked best (in my eyes)... I'm glad I did not order Gentian Blue because it showed up every single fingerprint and swirl and dust under lights.

View my pics here
View this post on Instagram

Here is one of them:

Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Would be pretty simple to wrap it in matte film or choose your color/finish

Quick Reply: 992 Dealer Premiere