Received 1,316 Likes on 723 Posts
Default In depth review of 992

Pardon if already posted, some interesting details:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/07/...ls-technology/
Old 03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Good read, lots interesting details indeed.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm still confused about the platform. When it came out, there were conflicting reports about whether it used the new MMB architecture or was a reworked version of the existing chassis. I thought it was proven to be the latter? Why else would they keep the wheelbase identical as well the proportions of the car identical? The only literal difference to the architectural shape of the car compared to a 991 is nothing, obviously factoring out the wider tracks and little sheetmetal tweaks here and there. The only reason the 992 is longer is due to increased front overhang, which is just a bumper job. If it is an MMB, then it really goes to show how perfectly they had it for the 991 as they didn't want to fundamentally adjust anything.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I'm still confused about the platform. When it came out, there were conflicting reports about whether it used the new MMB architecture or was a reworked version of the existing chassis. I thought it was proven to be the latter? Why else would they keep the wheelbase identical as well the proportions of the car identical? The only literal difference to the architectural shape of the car compared to a 991 is nothing, obviously factoring out the wider tracks and little sheetmetal tweaks here and there. The only reason the 992 is longer is due to increased front overhang, which is just a bumper job. If it is an MMB, then it really goes to show how perfectly they had it for the 991 as they didn't want to fundamentally adjust anything.
I thought the same thing. I read that the new platform will be available or the next generation, not .2
This makes this generation more a 991.3 than anything new. But again, it was a similar deal with 964/993, 996/997. Keeps R&D costs down, and if they brand ice with the Porsche logo, they would sell it in the Arctic, so they don't need to change their ways.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I thought the same thing. I read that the new platform will be available or the next generation, not .2
This makes this generation more a 991.3 than anything new. But again, it was a similar deal with 964/993, 996/997. Keeps R&D costs down, and if they brand ice with the Porsche logo, they would sell it in the Arctic, so they don't need to change their ways.
Yeah it’s odd there’s so much misinformation surrounding this car. It makes no sense to be an all new platform when the wheelbase, proportions, windscreen, architecture and hard points are all identical to the 991.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 PM
adamlew
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2019-uk-review
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah it’s odd there’s so much misinformation surrounding this car. It makes no sense to be an all new platform when the wheelbase, proportions, windscreen, architecture and hard points are all identical to the 991.

Odd indeed, I recently had opportunity to fully inspect a 992 including on a lift and came away with the impression that everything was the same but also different in much the same way that a 996 and 997 were, I saw no drastic changes but merely updates to the existing 991 chassis and components. I really believe this "completely new chassis" is just another marketing ploy because as Porsche is delving further and further into SUV's and the more shallow customer base that follow along with them, they are getting used to saying whatever they want without being called out for it.

The proof for me is that the design of the 992 is so retrained within the confines of the 991. The general shape, roof line, wheel base, chassis layout, engine access, and even much of the interior is lifted straight from the 991 which it shares much of it's architecture from.

I believe the restraint of the 991 chassis are what lead this 992 to become so awkward as disjointed. All these styling changes appear forced upon an existing chassis rather than occurring naturally as they did in the 991.

Most concerning to me were areas of obvious cheapening , such as the tubular exhaust manifolds being replaced by cheap looking manifolds covered by a very chintzy Japanese car like heat shield.

Last edited by limegreen; 03-22-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by limegreen
Odd indeed, I recently had opportunity to fully inspect a 992 including on a lift and came away with the impression that everything was the same but also different in much the same way that a 996 and 997 were, I saw no drastic changes but merely updates to the existing 991 chassis and components. I really believe this "completely new chassis" is just another marketing ploy because as Porsche is delving further and further into SUV's and the more shallow customer base that follow along with them, they are getting used to saying whatever they want without being called out for it.

The proof for me is that the design of the 992 is so retrained within the confines of the 991. The general shape, roof line, wheel base, chassis layout, engine access, and even much of the interior is lifted straight from the 991 which it shares much of it's architecture from.

I believe the restraint of the 991 chassis are what lead this 992 to become so awkward as disjointed. All these styling changes appear forced upon an existing chassis rather than occurring naturally as they did in the 991.

Most concerning to me were areas of obvious cheapening , such as the tubular exhaust manifolds being replaced by cheap looking manifolds covered by a very chintzy Japanese car like heat shield.
Yeah, no doubt it's the same chassis. Crazy to me to see how some PR reports and articles can get away with stating it's "an all new chassis." Yeah, like they CHOSE to not change anything from the inherent 991 architecture / hard points and just form slight modifications around said inherent constraints, lol.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Stop guys. You're going to annoy the 6 local 992 lovers who are going to report you.

KA go back to 991 section to talk about visceral exhausts and 991.1 values.

Thx.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

With all the new tech and revised instrument cluster, I am still disappointed that HUD was not included as an option in the 992.

Quick Reply: In depth review of 992