Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the hate for the shaver/nubbin/gear selector?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:09 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
The nubbin looks a bit silly. However the gimmicky exterior door handles seem to fly in the face of everything Porsche was always about. This is the same company that puts straps in some GT3s instead of door releases to save weight, and because they serve the essential purpose. These are just the opposite - unnecessarily complicated for no purpose. I think Porsche has been slowly evolving in this direction for some time. The dumb gauges that don't even give the correct temps is a good example that comes to mind. All that said, Porsche seems to know their buyers well and I have no doubt the 992 will do well.
Door handle is the single worst redesign of 992. The worst is that I doubt it improves aerodynamics noticeably.

Plus i think it will definitely break down when you pull awkwardly after a while.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSwest
In the 991 the PDK shifter was a work of art, sculpted from top to bottom along with details around its base - it added focus and presence to the slim, center console. Porsche even offered several different versions that you could option to personalize the look of the shifter. The tactile feel of simply shifting into drive or reverse, along with the ability to use it at speed was engaging, and probably swayed more than a few manual transmission fans into purchasing a PDK equipped 911. The neutered nubbin doesn't look like anything other than a shaver, and its stunted appearance is exacerbated by the fact it is slightly recessed and surrounded by the extra wide swollen center console adorned in featureless black plastic.

It has gone from being a key, strong feature of the cabin that really emphasized the sporty nature of the 911 to an irrelevant Prius-like "meh it'll do" afterthought. Coupled with the oversized 7-Eleven cupholder thingy, the awkward void between the screens and the dash spanning, dust collecting "ledge" and we have gone from appreciating German engineering excellence in the predecessor 991 to wondering how those in charge of the new 992 program approved this VW parts bin mash-up.
^ Well written sir and spot-on, all points. Art, tactile feel, manual conversion to PDK. Nicely worded.

Its confusing to me. Did the folks who were invited to the consumer research sessions not voice any dislike for the shifter design? There were some pictures shown in here, and the reviews weren’t positive.

Last edited by phefner; 02-27-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Chacun son gout.
Merde.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Merde.
Oui
Old 02-27-2019, 10:42 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
I think the nubin on the 918 looked more like a Prius affair but that didn't create anywhere near as much stink as the 992's nubin.

​​​​​​
Agreed: the 918 shifter was Prius all the way. Difference is while I did not like it, it just did not matter. Unless something drastically changes in my life I am not in the 918 price range market. Even if I was I would probably not be interested due to the electric motors.

However, I care about the 911 design since I own one and I am sure Porsche would love me to buy another. I just don’t know who looked at the shifter and thought it was great. Maybe they wanted push buttons and this was a compromise?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:00 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ

Maybe they wanted push buttons and this was a compromise?

It’s a good theory seeing that so many other aspects of the 992 design are a compromise and anytime that happens no one seems to get exactly what they wanted.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:17 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

This car was designed by the "Pointy Hair Boss" making the decisions (if you know what I am talking about you will get the reference)...I can not be forced to like the nubbin, it just doesn't match at all with the interior of the car design. Hoping the Turbo line has better interior.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:30 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Agreed: the 918 shifter was Prius all the way. Difference is while I did not like it, it just did not matter. Unless something drastically changes in my life I am not in the 918 price range market. Even if I was I would probably not be interested due to the electric motors.

However, I care about the 911 design since I own one and I am sure Porsche would love me to buy another. I just don’t know who looked at the shifter and thought it was great. Maybe they wanted push buttons and this was a compromise?

Don't get me wrong -- I like the 918 just fine -- well, except perhaps for the idea of putting the fuel filler next to the exhaust manifold. I didn't mean to disparage it when I compared it to a Prius, and I don't think Senna01 did either, even though the comparison is perfectly valid. Just saying it's a very different beast than a 99x- or 98x-series car.

Many aspects of the 918's design are OK in the context of that car but don't translate well to a traditional dino-burner, and the nubbin is definitely one of them.

I have high hopes for the Turbo. Seems like the clue fairy might have paid a visit to the the Porsche factory recently.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:40 AM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First I would go back and read the previous onslaught of messages of people hating the 992 Nubbin. There are numerous messages on this topic.
I have been driving Porsche 911s since 1980. I have had 17 so far. The first 14 were all MT but the last 3 cars have been PDK. I never drive the car in Auto mode. I always select Sport Mode and manually shift with the paddles or the stick shifter. When I am using my phone or drinking something while driving sometime with only one hand you are forced to shift with the stick as opposed to the paddles. Sometimes the paddles get boring and it is fun to just shift with the stick to have something different for a change. My last 3 Porsches have been daily drivers and found that I used the stick almost every day. If I ever get a 992 it will have to be back to manual tranny for me since I don't like the look of the nubbin and won't have the ability to shift with the stick. This was a very poor decision on Porsche to take away the ability to shift with the stick. Most other sports cars don't offer this and now Porsche has matched that poor choice. Ultimately driving a sports car in Auto is boring unless you are on the track and going 9/10th and need the freedom of concentration. The nubbin does nothing to add to the 911 sportiness. A shifter stick was cool and actually fun. My local Porsche club 30 out of 33 people were disappointed in losing the shifting ability with the stick especially since they finally got the shift direction corrected in the 991.2 model. Oh well, bring on the manual trans.
Cheers,
Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Because spirited driving in Sport + in manual mode feels so damn good using the PDK shifter. That's why.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:44 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,325 Posts

I know this is an old thread and I'll join those who are not "enamored" to say the least with the shaver. Just a quick question, can someone please, apologies for the basic question, explain HOW the nubbin works (how you engage D, R, N), didn't find anything on youtube?

siberian
Old 03-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 794 Posts

^ Push it forward or backward. It's pretty easy
Old 03-08-2021, 02:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,325 Posts

So, sorry again for the question, but I assume it starts in N, so push forward for D, then back twice to get to R?

siberian
Old 03-08-2021, 02:49 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 794 Posts

Up for reverse, down for D
Old 03-08-2021, 03:02 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

There are 2 separate buttons below the PDK to engage park and manual shifting modes.

Quick Reply: Why the hate for the shaver/nubbin/gear selector?