Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point does the trade off of more power/speed become inferior to added weight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, someone with a 991 complaining about weight.

Just curious, has any here driven some of these light-weight 911s of the past? I doubt many in here would make it more than a week trying to drive these things on the street before they would hate it and ditch for their modern cars. Uncomfy, you smell like oil after a drive, no AC, heavy clutch that will wear you out n traffic or at stop lights and super heavy steering when trying to navigate low speed parking lots. Add that to the handling characteristic, lack of turn in and the propensity for snap oversteer of the light weight era cars . . . and me thinks some are just looking to belly ache and complain for sake of belly aching and complaining.

The whole issue with weight is handling and my guess is the 991 and the 992 limits far exceed the skill set of most on here. I definitely don't understand complaining about weight before one has even sat behind the wheel and experienced the handling characteristics and feel of the car.
OP is like a farm animal who rolls around in his own poo.. His poo being a 991.1 base model. The guy has a narrative he's trying to push on rennlist about the 991.1 and how glorious it is. Look up his post history. Almost all of them are about the subjects in this thread. 991.1 superior to everything. So strange.

Food for thought.. An Aventador with a visceral, screaming naturally aspirated 12 cylinder engine runs a sub 7 minute lap at the 'ring..

Curb weight: 4100 pounds.

The following users liked this post:
carson2 (10-03-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

To decrease weight, a car manufacturer has to either eliminate content or increase the use of lighter weight materials. Go too far in the first direction, and you'll end up with something like an Alfa 4C - a car that's fast and nimble, but one that very few people buy because it's a pretty poor daily driver. Head in the other direction, and you'll end up with something like the previously mentioned McLaren, whose cheapest model has a base price that's almost twice that of a 911 and is still a 3200 pound car. I think Porsche has done a great job of adding content to make their cars better performing, safer, more comfortable, and more efficient while using lighter materials to keep weight on the low side.

Both the 1986 and 1987 991s I owned back then meet the criteria mentioned in limegreen's post - lighter, less grip, lower power, etc. However, I contend that the driving experience of my 991.2 is far superior to both. Wanna live in the 80s? Then strap on those parachute pants and buy a vintage 911 for half the cost of a new one.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
K-A, you’ve been worrying about too much weight since the delete of the glass roof on your Macan :-)

Cars are getting heavier and more power is coming with that. I hear you and do agree that the older, light weight cars have a charm about them. But weight seems to be the price of progress.

Hey, it’s America. Everything is supersized!
Hahaha. True.

The real question is if when the price of progress fiscally cheapens, will automakers be able to reduce weight again, while still churning out the advancements they currently do. Or is it simply impossible to cram so much tech in these cars while keeping weight "low."

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The 991.1 lost weight and improved performance. Win, win. Not so the 991.2 and 992. The turbocharging of the Carreras led to improved performance at the cost of increased weight. The weight increased in the 992 for various reasons, including the particulate filter (which is not in the North American cars). I'm a big believer that oftentimes, less is more. AP and the GT department definitely would agree with that, down to putting a sticker on the hood of the GT3-RS for the purpose of weight saving. Not so much in the 911 Carrera department, which seems to be going more and more toward a mass-produced, homogenized luxury sports sedan.
Fully agree that "less is more." It's the entire Porsche hallmark. 911's have always been roasting cars with nearly twice the power and/or engine size. That's the "magic potion" card Porsche always pulls that has earned it the status it enjoys today. It's always better when a car with less can accomplish more, than a car packed with "more" that isn't outperforming on a scale proportional to its on-paper prowess. Engineering brilliance vs normalcy. Efficiency vs inefficiency, etc.

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I think this is a really great question. Light weight has always defined the 911 from the early days of racing when it would beat much larger horsepower heavier cars. The other marque that really 'gets it' in the weight savings department is McLaren which seems to be able to keep its cars around 3000 lbs. Their cars manage to have high hp albeit turbocharged.

J
Agree. McLaren truly "gets it" right now. They're following the Porsche formula in many respects as good as one can. And people always rave about McLaren's unflinching masterclass in combining comfortable ride with super sharp handling and track sensibility.

Originally Posted by minthral
To complain about weight and ignore everything else is not logical. That's an emotional statement.

The reason to keep weight down is to improve acceleration, stopping distance, and fuel economy. ENGINEERING AND DESIGN of the whole package determine how a car handles, how fast it goes, how quick it stops etc etc.

If someone thinks that they should go find an older 'lighter weight car' and it will be better just because its weighs less is really missing out. You can't just ignore the whole equation and focus on the weight variable. That's completely illogical. Older cars drove like sheeeeet compared to new cars...they were also less comfortable and would be considered dangerous by today's safety standards.

I guess some people get the warm and fuzzies that they can put their car on a weight scale and see a lower number?

Instead this argument should be 'at what point is attempting to reduce weight a wasted effort when engineering a car?' Otherwise its like saying 'booo hooo this new motor is faster and more efficient, but it weights more per HP produced so its bad.'
Not entirely, imo. To me, regardless of how much power is put into a car, how well it can brake, etc., there's an element of character and raw connective feel lost when you *NEED* to add weight in order to hit performance marks. Because a 4K lb car NEEDS more tech, more power enhancers, etc. to achieve the same results as a car with less weight. Which is why older cars might perform far less well, but are vastly more fun to drive. They're not as livable and logical, but can make your day simply driving down the street to the grocery store. To me, less weight is *the* key factor to that. Yes, cars now can do more, but every bit of tech "trickery" that is required for them to perform so well sucks a lot of the soul, thus character, thus fun factor out of many cars. The 918 Spyder reviews when compared to some of its rivals echo this to a degree. It's a fairly heavy car, and even with 887 HP, and arguably the best and most impressive performing of all the Hypercars ("less is more" power wise- Porsche hallmark, still beating a lot of them on the track) some reviewers have stated that it feels less engaging, and noticeably heavy and "tech compromised"- i.e, it performs so well because of all the tech needed to compensate for said weight. Even despite having the most intoxicating powerplant this side of a LaFerrari.

IMO, you can drive a 550 HP V8 Jag F Type out of a parking lot, and you KNOW it's a heavy car. Yeah, when you nail the gas, it moves like a missile, but nothing can disguise its weight. Little ways you connect with a car: Snapping the wheel around to get a feel of it, how "go kart-y" it feels even in mundane traffic, etc. are all subject to weight. A 200 hp car that weighs very little, can immediately feel fun and emotive.

Another example: When I had my Macan S with all the suspension enhancement options (but no PTV+ like my 911 has), and had a Mazda 3 on the side, the Macan would obliterate it in any performance test. But when driving normally, the Macan felt heavy, almost lethargic (this changed dramatically when you push it). The Mazda felt far lighter, instantly more engaging, to the point where it felt like it should be a better handling car (until, again, you push them both).

Originally Posted by limegreen
Another perspective is that if Porsche wasn't concerned about the weight then they wouldn't be continuously going through the effort and expense to add lightweight materials along with PTV and RAS etc. to each subsequent model to counteract the weight of the additional components. They are likely just as worried about it as many of us are.

A lightweight car is a nimble car that is able to do more with less. Less power , less grip , less fuel consumption and less reliant on trickery to make for a great driving experience. It's ironically the key to all the efficiency Porsche is struggling to find across their lineup but for some reason they trade it off time and time again for what I'd consider gimmicky add ons and luxury components that do little for the driving experience.

Just because a Panamera or Cayenne are able to seemingly repel the laws of physics with huge power numbers and massive steam roller tires doesn't mean that they should. Nor does it make the experience of driving the car feel anything close to what I'd consider nimble.
Exactly. RAS and all that stuff is meant mostly to *compensate* for more weight and insulation. And every time something needs to be add to compensate for more weight, some character is lost.

And before someone wants to chime in with "bUt hOw cAn a 911 oWnEr sAy tHaT," this is my entire point. Even the 991 is dubbed as the "luxury 911," but the 991 chassis DECREASED weight from the 997 (even with the 991.2's extra weight and accompanying more power, even it is probably not all that much heavier than the 997 was), therefore IMO the 991 went about it the right, fundamental way. Engineering in more luxury, while decreasing weight for performance (rather than weight being a product of said luxury, then adding more heavy elements to now add performance back). And although a 991.1 feels rawer than the following 911's, no doubt including the 992, even it is too coddling IMO. But I do appreciate the balance, and surely would even more so if it was my DD.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
To decrease weight, a car manufacturer has to either eliminate content or increase the use of lighter weight materials. Go too far in the first direction, and you'll end up with something like an Alfa 4C - a car that's fast and nimble, but one that very few people buy because it's a pretty poor daily driver.
IMO what killed the 4C was its transmission. A car like that makes no sense with an automatic, any more than a Miata does.

And I say that as a firm PDK adherent. If I were buying a 4C I'd want a stick.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 02-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
To decrease weight, a car manufacturer has to either eliminate content or increase the use of lighter weight materials. Go too far in the first direction, and you'll end up with something like an Alfa 4C - a car that's fast and nimble, but one that very few people buy because it's a pretty poor daily driver./QUOTE]

IMO what killed the 4C was its transmission. A car like that makes no sense with an automatic, any more than a Miata does.

Yeah, the 4C has TONS of quirks that account to why it's not near mass adopted. Quirks that go far beyond the minimal fluff that make it so light. Also, it's a 4 cylinder, and in theory alone that holds it back (not sure how it drives), especially for those who seek it as a sort of "attainable exotic."
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

[QUOTE=Noah Fect;15665125]
Originally Posted by tgcrun
To decrease weight, a car manufacturer has to either eliminate content or increase the use of lighter weight materials. Go too far in the first direction, and you'll end up with something like an Alfa 4C - a car that's fast and nimble, but one that very few people buy because it's a pretty poor daily driver./QUOTE]

Although I have never owned one, I spent a bunch of time driving various 4Cs, both street and track. The transmission has nothing to do with why that car doesn't sale . . . I am also a huge Exige and Elise fan and used to race both. The new Evora 400 does nothing for me and it seems a very large percentage of those are actually sold with the automatic trannie.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

There's no question that weight is the enemy of performance. That's why every modern racing class has a minimum weight requirement. But the current tradeoff is not weight versus power. In fact, thanks to advances in engine technology, modern engines make enormous power in smaller and lighter packages than they ever did before.

Most of the corpulence of modern cars comes from:
  • increased size, to accommodate ever fatter occupants
  • greater market demand for comfort and convenience features
  • larger wheels and tires along with their attendant stouter suspension bits and stiffer chassis requirements
  • and, most of all, much stricter crash test standards that demand stronger structures, greater crush space, and ever-more airbags and other safety devices
I'd love to see a new 911 that was about 5 percent smaller in every dimension and weighed under 3000 pounds, brimming with fuel. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
There's no question that weight is the enemy of performance. That's why every modern racing class has a minimum weight requirement. But the current tradeoff is not weight versus power. In fact, thanks to advances in engine technology, modern engines make enormous power in smaller and lighter packages than they ever did before.

Most of the corpulence of modern cars comes from:
  • increased size, to accommodate ever fatter occupants
  • greater market demand for comfort and convenience features
  • larger wheels and tires along with their attendant stouter suspension bits and stiffer chassis requirements
  • and, most of all, much stricter crash test standards that demand stronger structures, greater crush space, and ever-more airbags and other safety devices
I'd love to see a new 911 that was about 5 percent smaller in every dimension and weighed under 3000 pounds, brimming with fuel. But I'm not holding my breath.
I think you would have to back to a 964 RS America to get below 3,000 pounds and that car is super slow around a track in today's standards.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:17 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I think you would have to back to a 964 RS America to get below 3,000 pounds and that car is super slow around a track in today's standards.
A 996 Carrera with a 991.2 GT3 engine would fit those specs. And that's without any lightened body panels.

Sure would be a fun time.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:22 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Here's a similar but different question: At what point is more power and speed useless for the vast majority of non-track street driving?

Something tells me I'd be happier driving a Carrera T than a GT3 T.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:10 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
Quicker, more technology, improved ride, etc.......and still 5 seconds faster around the Ring. Can’t say weight has panned out to be a negative unless it runs over your foot.
Sorry, but lap times and performance numbers is always the cop out answer in this discussion. Frankly such things are irrelevant and only for bragging rights around the water cooler.

To answer the OP's question, the answer is: "Not until you drive something lighter". It's all a matter of perception and the vast majority of 992 test drivers will never find themselves behind the wheel of a pure, lightweight sports car to fully appreciate what makes that driving experience so special.
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
I like the direction Porsche is going with the 911.
Which started over two decades ago turning the 911 into a "Grand Turismo" GT and moving away from it being a pure sports car.
This isn't a bad thing, I have a garage full of 928's which is the original Porsche GT. But at the same time it's a bit sad to see what once was a pure sports morphed into the slot the 928 was originally designed for. If hindsight could be 20/20 the 928 would have stayed in production to fill that market segment and the 911 could have remained pure to it's soul.

Anytime I climb into something that weights close to 2,000lbs I remember what that rawness feels like. No amount of technology or horsepower can replace it.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Which started over two decades ago turning the 911 into a "Grand Turismo" GT and moving away from it being a pure sports car.
This isn't a bad thing, I have a garage full of 928's which is the original Porsche GT. But at the same time it's a bit sad to see what once was a pure sports morphed into the slot the 928 was originally designed for. If hindsight could be 20/20 the 928 would have stayed in production to fill that market segment and the 911 could have remained pure to it's soul.

Anytime I climb into something that weights close to 2,000lbs I remember what that rawness feels like. No amount of technology or horsepower can replace it.
IMO the transformation to a GT car began with the 997 and showed true colors with the weight gain of the 991.2 and 992. The 996.1 was a step in the sportscar direction, at least numerically. Hell, the early ones didn't even have a glove box.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:28 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
IMO the transformation to a GT car began with the 997 and showed true colors with the weight gain of the 991.2 and 992. The 996.1 was a step in the sportscar direction, at least numerically. Hell, the early ones didn't even have a glove box.
Yea, when that started is a whole different discussion and again, really boils down to personal perception. I know some hard core air cooled junkies who say this started with the 964, others the 993 with comments like "the turbo was so luxurious".......

You wanna get really crazy the 356 cult who see all 911's as luxurious barges

It's really splitting hairs, I love them all and really enjoy these discussions. Such conversations is what this place is really all about.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:45 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

991.1is lighter than 997..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by fxz
991.1is lighter than 997..
Yes, but with an increasing fraction of electronic systems, and the console out of a luxury car. There's no doubt that the 991 was a step in the right direction. What a shame that they undid the progress so quickly.

Quick Reply: At what point does the trade off of more power/speed become inferior to added weight?