Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First look at center console trim with manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:47 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts
Default First look at center console trim with manual?

First I’ve seen for sure. Unfortunately it looks like even the 3 pedal crowd gets stuck with the shiny black plastic.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow...this is in the prototype. Cool shot

Well looks like the cup holder will not work well at all with manual.

I love manuals!!! and pdk stick shifter too!!!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

And this one has buckets.. gt3?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
And this one has buckets.. gt3?
and apparently with leather (not alcantara) inserts? interesting
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is so odd. I thought the reason for using the ‘nubbin’ instead of a normal size shifter (like in the Panamera) was because they were concerned about interference with the controls. I hope Porsche has fired the lead designer of the 992 interior.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Per usual with this car so far, why would anything they add be less than a jumbled mess? I'm also half wondering if the shift **** will be that same worthless piano black just so the greasy **** can match the already greasy console.

If Porsche really cared for appealing to the manual crowd they would redesign the center console to eliminate the cup holder and relocate it to pop out right where those two red buttons are.

I'm really hoping in the GT cars they will just eliminate the console altogether but that's a foolish thing to hope for....
Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo. There is a lot of Piano Black trim, but it’s execution is flawless and the interior looks like a $160k should look. So naturally this is what I was expecting in the 992, but when I sat in the 992 I was shocked how crappy the interior looked.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Folding buckets are available on GTS outside North America.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

wow... that stick looks like some DIY manual conversion of the PDK
Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if this is part of Porsche 911 Mgt strategy, make it uncomfortable to shift with cup holder, less people will buy and then they will say - less demand and we removed manual for 992.2 version.

Sometimes to get rid of demand is you make the product crappy and people move on. That way you can put the blame game on someone or something else.

The way they are going, I would not be surprised.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:15 PM
ElMills
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the internet. "Give us manuals!" becomes "the shifter looks weird, fire Porsche designers"... . "Get rid of the mass of buttons" …. "god, it was so much simpler when there were buttons!" "the trim looks so cheap for a $100k + car!" "god, if I'm eating a burrito and have grease on my grubby fingers it'll smear on this shiny plastic"

Every actual customer (the ones who buy new cars and not worry about IMS bearings on their tiptronic 996's) who has a new Panamera and E3 Cayenne loves the center console design, and understands sometimes you have to clean things.

The car is actually pretty badass, lets be honest folks.. Go find another, non-American (bless Ford and GM for still giving us sticks) sports car with a manual... and buy it, and enjoy your matte plastic and buttons.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Um, not everyone. I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo and thought the new design was going to be great...until I actually sat in a 992. The actual execution is terrible.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:30 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
Um, not everyone. I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo and thought the new design was going to be great...until I actually sat in a 992. The actual execution is terrible.
Panamera interior I think is fantastic.... I was one of the ones actually hoping for a panamera interior on the new 911. I'm a fan of the 992 and will likely buy one but I think they blew it BIG TIME on the center console and generally underwhelmed with the interior design. Piano black trim is very different than the cheap plastic that looks like its from the Cadillac CUE Haptic interface. (and yes I've sat in a 992 to make these judgements. Other than the center console the interior is nice, better than it appears in pics but not up to the panamera design standard)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ElMills
I love the internet. "Give us manuals!" becomes "the shifter looks weird, fire Porsche designers"... . "Get rid of the mass of buttons" …. "god, it was so much simpler when there were buttons!" "the trim looks so cheap for a $100k + car!" "god, if I'm eating a burrito and have grease on my grubby fingers it'll smear on this shiny plastic"
It was fine the way it was. Paying designers to change things for no reason is just another manifestation of the broken-window fallacy. What I'm seeing here is that the manual transmission leaves the driver without a usable cupholder. That might fly on Rennlist, but it won't fly anywhere else.

On the bright side, the 992 and 718 are examples of the very ethos that inspired Porsche in the first place. Somewhere, a young person is pacing back and forth in an empty garage. There's nothing in the garage but a tool chest, a workbench, and a computer or two. The kid is muttering, "Well, if they won't build the car I want, then..."
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
Im wondering what you didn’t like about the interior compared to the Panamera. I saw the interior at the LA Auto Show and thought it looked pretty great in person. I think the majority of the complaints from first drives have been the nubbin, piano black plastic trim, and can’t see all the dials. But most of the time they mention those as minor complaints and give the impression that they like the interior overall. In fact, compared to the Panamera, you’d think it would be an improvement because you don’t have all those capacitive touch buttons.

Quick Reply: First look at center console trim with manual?