Sponsored by:

Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992

Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
they look flimsy. you can break it if you pull really hard
They aren't flimsy at all. They stay out until car is locked. Mechanism is similar to trunk.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Just googled Tesla door in winter - wow so many hits about doors being frozen during the crazy polar vortex.

I know Porsche tests their cars in the frigid winters, I hoping for the best here for these 992 door handles.

What is funny for years (since I was a kid), I never worried about door handles, it just worked in every car. Now all of a sudden, I have to talk and wonder about door handles.

I guess it is hard to be simple these days.

Simplicity is always the best design
Thats the trouble with forums. There is probably nothing wrong with the new handles but how many posts are there speculating that there will be issues? I tried them this afternoon at the car show in Toronto and they seem fine. Same feel as trunk on my SQ5 and its never failed.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

I was certain the last generation cup holders would also fail but 3 cars later they never did. If I were buying a 992 to keep I'd be more concerned about the display screens fading or becoming obsolete. Anyone own a 10 year old computer screen?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

As long as it lasts for the duration of the OEM warranty, it's fine with me.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Thats the trouble with forums. There is probably nothing wrong with the new handles but how many posts are there speculating that there will be issues? I tried them this afternoon at the car show in Toronto and they seem fine. Same feel as trunk on my SQ5 and its never failed.
The many posts you've seen speculating there will be issues with these complex electro-mechanical door handles are based on nothing more than common sense.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by limegreen
The many posts you've seen speculating there will be issues with these complex electro-mechanical door handles are based on nothing more than common sense.
Looking for problems/paranoia IMO. I really don't think that Porsche would not build something that they weren't confident in.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:54 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

We drive 911s with roofs/sunroofs that open electrically, hoods that pop up with the pull of a button, spoilers that raise and lower depending upon speed, transmissions that shift themselves, etc. And people are worried that the door handles might not work properly? Another petty complaint from the 992 haters.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tgcrun
We drive 911s with roofs/sunroofs that open electrically, hoods that pop up with the pull of a button, spoilers that raise and lower depending upon speed, transmissions that shift themselves, etc. And people are worried that the door handles might not work properly? Another petty complaint from the 992 haters.
agreed.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ST BERNARD
We only have 27 Post discussing the Door Handles. There must be another 50 people who want to comment on the handles who have never either seen the door handles or tried them. After reading about all the door issues I am thinking about canceling my 992 order and buying a Ford. They apparently have good door handles.
Actually my Raptor has a recall for door handles that freeze and won't open.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

End of the day, these door handles are gimmicky. Tesla S models went through lot of doors variations/generations b/c they kept breaking. Coming from engineering background - sometimes over doing things causes more complications and high chance things break (always happens in the field). For example about spoilers - the mechanics in that have been tested heavily and they do have a valid function.

The drag created by door handles is really low. It was done to woo new users that is it. On a funny note, Porsche will make an awesome video soon explaining on how drag is reduced etc or whatever about the new door handles. They already made an excellent video about brake squeals - if you have not seen it; please see it on their youtube channel.

If you like them then that is great. All manufacturers are gonna copy these doors, everyone wants to be cool
Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Stout made an interesting observation that the person in R and D who pushed through the flush door handles is no longer with the organization. Some palace intrigue...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Stout made an interesting observation that the person in R and D who pushed through the flush door handles is no longer with the organization. Some palace intrigue...
They have also ditched the 3rd brake light, going by the spy photo of the new Turbo that somebody took in the factory. The Kremlinology is indeed interesting.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:00 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
They have also ditched the 3rd brake light, going by the spy photo of the new Turbo that somebody took in the factory. The Kremlinology is indeed interesting.
Seeing the test mules for Turbo; I thought it was evident that Turbo will not have the third brake light as the intake vents are located but I could be wrong also. Usually the third brake light is integrated into the ducktail part of the spoiler.

I am glad Porsche is ditching the raver red glow sticks/test tube 3rd brake light...now only the nubbin/beard trimmer in question remains.........

So far the external design is awesome.....crossing fingers, hoping the interior is better
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 AM
miglio
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ST BERNARD
We only have 27 Post discussing the Door Handles. There must be another 50 people who want to comment on the handles who have never either seen the door handles or tried them. After reading about all the door issues I am thinking about canceling my 992 order and buying a Ford. They apparently have good door handles.
This is the best comment here...

Old 02-22-2019, 02:52 AM
miglio
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
second best comment here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992